Skip to content

Where is this Enhanced Edition?

Comments

• BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    edited November 2012
    Freche said:

Bytebrain said:

The zoom function is NOT broken like the OP says.
    If it is, it's a bug on his end.

It resets quite often when zoning, it resets if reloading. I'm well aware that it will get pixelated if you use it to zoom in on stuff but I like it when it's zoomed out. And it issues like these gets old quite fast. It's not a major thing but it's one thing building on the pile of a negative experience.
    Well, the reset of zoom isn't exactly a bug. It's probably just something they hadn't thought about.
    I'm sure reset of zoom will be implented in the future, as there's an obvious demand for it.
    There's a host of other, mostly hardware issues that are more important to do right now, but stuff like that will be taken care of, there's a lot of dedicated users of this forum asking for stuff in the feature request section of the forums.
    This issue belongs there.

The Devs are very, very good at participating here and listens well to the community.

I'm guessing they're very swamped right now, so that's why we haven't heard much from them in the forums, well, that, and the staggering amount of new topics being created every minute on topics already being discussed elsewhere, making it all but impossible to respond to anything when new forum users often don't bother to read the pinned threads and announcements and helpful comments from regular forum users.

Ups! This last bit was not directed at you, @freche , I just needed to get it out of my system...
    And it feels good... :)
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    edited November 2012
    One more point to touch on separately..."Vanilla + Mods are just as good!"

I hate this argument...I really do. Adding a mod and re-writing the base code to handle something are two completely different things. On my copy of BG I never played with mods...didn't know many of them existed. Personally I'm looking forward to pushing forward on BG with a monk which wasn't available on the first game...that's an enhancement.

I realize that was available as a downloadable mod from somewhere, but honestly by the time you get into Installing the game and then hunting down the mods, installing them, weeding through bugs and problems, uninstalling the ones that either aren't useful or aren't working properly and diagnosing crash/problem issues due to mod installation...all of which under no or exceptionally poor support by their developers, would waste ALOT of my time.

My time is valuable, $20 for an enhanced edition that includes most of what I'd have to go out and search for mods to do is worth it...as it will be for most people.

There's a lot of good stuff you're getting for $20, even if the graphics aren't up to snuff.
  • IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    Well, the fact that its higher resolution with Zoom makes things quite a bit bigger as under normal circumstances in 1080P - i would call that indeed enhanced.

On the other side, graphical glitches, not expected technical problems are pushing the EE of course back to a more amateurish league.

Anyway, Its short after release, things just have gone wrong, there is always the Chance to finally deliver the word enhanced with patches :)

Too early to tell if the EE is a failure or a win so far.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Lilarcor said:

There's a poll somewhere on the forum asking if the game works for you. Around 1/3 responses said 'no' last time I checked. My point about you being lucky stands. :-P

It is more like 20%:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8039/does-bgee-works-for-you/p1
  • RarityRarity Member Posts: 8
    I was under the impression the Enhanced Edition was all the mods, etc that people had to install to even play vanilla properly with some other edits to things they didn't cover in a much easier to install format with a patcher.

If you ask me, that seems a fair price in $20. You get a game that works right out of the box without installing 15 mods, worrying about what works and what doesn't, and needing to run external programs.

This isn't "Baldur's Gate 2.5" this is "Baldur's Gate: Enhanced" Which means it's the exact same Baldur's Gate with a few bells and whistles. Is it worth $20? That's up for you to decide, not us.

~ Rarity ♥
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    edited November 2012
    Illydth said:

Note, you paid $20 for it, not $60. That's about the price of an "expansion" so lets look at what "expansions" do for a game.

* Bug fixes - Check
    * Graphics Updates / Resolution Changes - Check
    * Interface Changes (Adding/removing annoying parts of interfaces) - Check
    * Additional Story - Check

Yes that is what I expected to get.
    Here is how I see that list:

* Bug fixes - Check
    - implemented quite a lot of new bugs though (expected since they rewrote a lot of code), I haven't personally had that many new bugs yet, but reading on the forums it looks like some of the new ones are quite game breaking that can overshadow many of the fixes.

* Graphics Updates / Resolution Changes - Semi-Check
    - Support for widescreen resolutions, sure. Some elements however are still designed for low resolutions and are getting stretched or appear distorted, which gives the appearance of a cheap job (this gets really apparent if you compare it in windowed mode and fullscreen). Some assets are still vanilla even though there are better versions in the game files.

* Interface Changes - Semi-Check
    - The new designs are really nice, there is however still lack of proper support for scrolling in many parts of the Interface. Also the graphics issues apply here which makes it semi-check.

* Additional Story - Check

And that looks like an expansion still in beta. unfortunately games after release often have very limited resources for support.
    My hope lies in that they are a small company and are planning on doing a BG2EE and thus needs this to turn out well if they are going to succeed with BG2EE and the needed additional improvements for BGEE could still be used for BG2EE.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    Bytebrain said:

The zoom function is NOT broken like the OP says.
    If it is, it's a bug on his end.

The zoom is broken. If you have the zoom set and enter a house, it resets. It should stay the same throughout the whole game. Not resetting everytime you enter a house and then going back to how it was when you leave the house.

How can you have two different zoom perspectives when you enter and leave a house? The zoom should be the same perspective. This would have been picked up by the beta testers and it's something I can't fathom why they didn't fix it, unless they had other bugs that were more important to deal with.

I hope they do fix it in a later patch because it's incredibly distracting and annoying.

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Metal_Hurlant
    It's not broken, it's just not fully implemented (semantic difference, but there it is). I agree that it's annoying (there's already a feature request to implement a "zoom lock"). If you're looking for a "reason" why it resets every time you enter a new area, it's this: Without a way to reset the zoom level, there's no standard, which means that if you zoom in all the way and hate it, and zoom out and it's not quite right, you have no way of getting back to what you had when you first started the game. The zoning reset solves that problem.
  • begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
    edited November 2012
    Illydth said:

One more point to touch on separately..."Vanilla + Mods are just as good!"

I hate this argument...I really do. Adding a mod and re-writing the base code to handle something are two completely different things. On my copy of BG I never played with mods...didn't know many of them existed. Personally I'm looking forward to pushing forward on BG with a monk which wasn't available on the first game...that's an enhancement.

I realize that was available as a downloadable mod from somewhere, but honestly by the time you get into Installing the game and then hunting down the mods, installing them, weeding through bugs and problems, uninstalling the ones that either aren't useful or aren't working properly and diagnosing crash/problem issues due to mod installation...all of which under no or exceptionally poor support by their developers, would waste ALOT of my time.

My time is valuable, $20 for an enhanced edition that includes most of what I'd have to go out and search for mods to do is worth it...as it will be for most people.

There's a lot of good stuff you're getting for $20, even if the graphics aren't up to snuff.

I do not know where you've been all these years but communities like the gibberling three and Spellhold studios are fairly well known.

Many keep the mods stored on their computer. I would say that for someone who knows what their doing and that's not saying much, you can get BGT to work in less then 30 minutes. Add a few key mods (usually all I like) and that adds maybe another 10 minutes. I think your being over dramatic by saying that the mods take hunting down, have problems, bugs, are not working properly, crashes, no support. BG:EE includes some mods from the authors of those sites I mentioned and they have always strived to make a quality mod. I've never had any problems unless I run a Big World Setup with a crap load of stuff.

Anyway I have the GOG version on my hard drive ready to install, It takes less time to install that and add BGT and a few mods then it did to download the last 100mb of BG:EE. Obviously you time is not that valuable and BG:EE would not even be enhanced if it wasn't for the help of many volunteers who again have been with Spellhold or Gibberling for yrs. You basically say their mods are buggy! Or take a lot of effort to install. This is simply not true.

I like BG:EE (Works perfectly for me) but there are some legitimate problems for some people who paid good money like you did. Their time is also valuable yet the game does not work for them and you basically sound like you throw differing viewpoints right out the window.

I wish overhaul games the best and I will continue to support BG:EE because I believe that the developers will really support this in the long run. I am however not blind to a rough release.

• seasea Member Posts: 65
    edited November 2012
    The new UI looks awful and was not even remotely designed with modern PC resolutions in mind.

The scaling is ugly, ugly, ugly. This apples to both the UI as well as the game view itself, which can't even be zoomed out fully to be as sharp as the original game.

Aesthetically, the new additions are poor and do not fit the original game's art style at all.

The new motion comic intros look and feel cheap and lack the atmosphere and menace of the originals (especially the intro).

The new locations look like they were pre-rendered using a bad RTS engine from 2001 and free textures off of Google, and then had zero cleanup work done on them.

The new characters are... not terrible, but nothing special either. I don't think anyone really gave a toss about romances either, I sure didn't.

The controls have not been updated - no diagonal keyboard scrolling or middle mouse scrolling. No new hotkeys either.

EAX effects are totally gone from what I can tell - not even added in using the newer audio API.

The Black Pits is decently written and acted but ultimately just a boring combat grind for X hours. I am working on a Dragon Age mod and I made and implemented an arena mode in 1 day - this is basically as bare minimum an 'adventure' as you could get. Snore.

There are lots of minor bugs, like stats in the inventory not being right and text in item descriptions being far longer than necessary (for "not usable by" stuff). Did anyone even pay attention to this during development?

There are major bugs, like, you know, the game not working at all for many people. The "x86 architecture" is to blame, huh? That pesky 'ol thing, who uses that anyway?

Basic convenience features like being able to make item stacks bigger than 80? Not in the game.

The hilarious and sad thing about this "Enhanced Edition" is that it will take mods to make it worthwhile, even though 90% of its improvements are already taken from player mods to begin with. Oh, and I guess it's also pretty damn funny that this "modern" and "upgraded" version has more issues than the original game and doesn't even run on computers from 1998 either.
    Illydth said:

You do realize that modding up Baldur's Gate is very easy, that there are dozens of easy to find guides out there, and that you can install the majority of the most desirable mods in less than 20 minutes, right? I hate apologists and people with too much money... I really do.

• KareemKareem Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2012
    For $20, and them pushing the release date to make sure the game was release ready...

I would have liked something that more closely resembles the Milk n' Cookies that was advertised.

For example:

Improved Multiplayer

Online multiplayer has been upgraded to include matchmaking functionality, and games can be played across multiple platforms. Adventurers on iPad, Mac, PC and Android Tablets can all play Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition together.
    Instead, for my 20, we get a multi-player that still doesn't work. No disrespect, but this is starting to seem a bit disingenuous.

I could have even been cool with a "Hey, we don't want to delay release again, but we still have some unfinished business. Multi-player isn't complete yet. We have a patch planned to bring this functionality online xxx". Instead, I just hear crickets, and my milk is going sour...
    @Sea. I do agree with a fair amount about what you say but I believe things will get better. A couple weeks from now and maybe most things bug wise will be fixed. I would give final review/judgement in January sometime after the team has had some time to really work things out.
  • seasea Member Posts: 65
    edited November 2012
    begolf00 said:

@Sea. I do agree with a fair amount about what you say but I believe things will get better. A couple weeks from now and maybe most things bug wise will be fixed. I would give final review/judgement in January sometime after the team has had some time to really work things out.

Oh, good, let's start reviewing games 2 months after they're released and 90% of the sales have been made. Yeah, that's definitely a great idea. I suppose the new car you bought that's got terrible fuel economy and non-functional brakes can't be judged until you've got 10,000 km on it, as well?

Overhaul promised an Enhanced Edition. They set a release date. They put the game out and it did not meet even relatively modest expectations they set for themselves. Why is anyone apologizing for this? Why do the people who spent their money now have to wait to get the product they thought they were paying for?
    @Kareem It's possible you just weren't following the right threads. Trent tweeted about the multiplayer issues some weeks before the release, saying that the goal was to get match-making working at some point post-ship.

Of course, a lot of these things could have been similarly more well-communicated, but Beamdog doesn't have a PR guy. They're a team of devoted developers who spend most of their time trying to make the game meet the high expectations of the fanbase. Unfortunately, yesterday's release left a bad taste in some people's mouths (mostly due to install issues, download issues, or bugs that are specific to one or more machine configurations). They're working on fixing that.
  • roboticsunroboticsun Member Posts: 42
    I do not agree. I have been playing BG Tutu with a few mods for years. EE runs much better than modded BG. No loading screens, super fast quick save/load, multiple auto-pause options and nice journal interface etc. all made it more appealing to me.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    They improved the AI. That to me is the most rewarding aspect. At least it feels like they did... Tarnesh at the FAI Targeted my mage first (Xzar) never seen that happen before. Love it so far, you just had unrealistic expectations.
  • MZsoltMZsolt Member Posts: 54
    The game breaker screen tearing is the old one. Nothing improved.
    @Aosaw I am a casual customer. I ordered based off of what they were advertising to me... i.e. what they were selling me on the order page. There was no asterisk. Their promotional materials for this game did and do clearly advertise a ready-to-go "Enhanced" Product, with an "Improved Multiplayer".

I shouldn't have to follow people on twitter to find out that what they are selling is not what they are advertising.

Multiplayer is one of the primary promotional points. If it wasn't finished, the game shouldn't have been released. Or, they should have made that known at point of purchase. Milk n' Cookies.
    You're making me want cookies. Stop it. ;)

Anyway, I agree that things could have been communicated a bit better. Again, it's one of the downsides of not having anyone whose sole responsibility is information distribution. There's a post at the top of this forum from one of the developers explaining what's going on in a little more detail; all I can tell you now is that they're working on fixing things as quickly as possible. I'm sure you'll be hearing that a lot, and it's going to get tiresome, but it's the truth.
    20 dollar only. But a money wasting. I can't play with that screen tearing , unacceptable annoying.
    I dont recommend to anyone with notebook, this screen tearing happen on notebook mostly. On desktop better, but its unacceptable, people buy for notebook also.
    @Aosaw. I hear you. I can be patient, and I don't expect a perfect game. I am a casual customer to this game, but not a casual, or new gamer.

That said, there is a difference between some bugs or unfinished things here and there (even by today's low standards) and releasing a product where your main selling points are not even in your product at release. I hate to say it, but... so far, this game more closely resembles the original than it does what it is advertised to be.
    @Sea

Actually there are quite a few game journalists that now review games quite awhile after they come out. Weather it's good or bad I don't know but I usually buy games 6 months to 2 yrs after they come out. I do perhaps think that reviews that come out later are more balanced and less influenced by the publishers.

I don't feel like I'm be apologetic, I mean what can I do? I could list a whole bunch of things I'm not happy with. I already gave it a low score on the voting poll on this site. The best I can do, is make do with the situation we have been given. However crappy that may be. One of the best examples I can give of a crappy release was Magicka. I couldn't even get the thing to work. After some patches, the game worked good and now it's a lot better. If they do the same thing to BG:EE I'm not very worried. If they don't they'll never get my dollars again. You sound pretty upset, sorry things couldn't be better.
  • KolonKuKolonKu Member Posts: 87
    @Freche

You bought the game without knowing what was included?
  • baaddarebaaddare Member Posts: 145
    Lilarcor said:

ekster said:

It has been said numerous times that the real enchantments are in the code.

The game is cleaner, updated, no longer needs mods or work arounds to get it to work on newer PCs (for most people. Sure, some people are still having some day 1 glitches, but it will be fixed) and the modding is made a lot easier now.

Day 1 glitches?! The framerate makes the game unplayable. We have game devs currently asking players to make modifications to their rigs to test wild theories as to what 'might' make the game actually work.

If you're reading this and can make BG:EE run to any level of satisfaction, you're VERY lucky.

runs fine for me much smoother than the old version but then I have an AMD chipset. Sp far, except for the intell chip set issues, they have delivered what they said they would. The took the engine with its BGII improvements and moved it over to BG1 along with the kit/class improvements, they cleaned up code they added 3 new characters and a new "zone", more dialog for the characters in the game, more portraits to start with long with some extra voice sets. They never claim they were making a new game.
  • rattmannrattmann Member Posts: 19
    @sea
    A few months ago, I predicted something like this would happen, and I hoped I was wrong. Unfortunately, my fears have come true: although an Enhanced Edition is a nice idea, the job of making one should have gone to someone more experienced, like Obsidian. To be blunt, if this is the best they can do, then their worst must be truly awful. I'd still like BG3 to be released, but a job that monumental should go to a developer that knows what they're doing and has an actual budget to work with, as opposed to the pompous braggarts who call themselves Overhaul Studios. (I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but anybody who spends all their time boasting about how great their game is without actually making it great deserves nothing but scorn.)
    Well, I find it great.
    Really don't know what people was expecting...

Everything runs smoothly, and it's a much better experience than running vanilla BG in Tuto.
  • rattmannrattmann Member Posts: 19
    Bytebrain said:

Well, I find it great.
    Really don't know what people was expecting...

Everything runs smoothly, and it's a much better experience than running vanilla BG in Tuto.

But they didn't really enhance anything except for adding three characters who feel like they belong in a completely different setting and some fixes that years-old mods can fix way more effectively than they can.
  • joshykinsjoshykins Member Posts: 95
    Lilarcor said:

ekster said:

It has been said numerous times that the real enchantments are in the code.

The game is cleaner, updated, no longer needs mods or work arounds to get it to work on newer PCs (for most people. Sure, some people are still having some day 1 glitches, but it will be fixed) and the modding is made a lot easier now.

Day 1 glitches?! The framerate makes the game unplayable. We have game devs currently asking players to make modifications to their rigs to test wild theories as to what 'might' make the game actually work.

If you're reading this and can make BG:EE run to any level of satisfaction, you're VERY lucky.
    You can't be serious, there is no PC that is sold on the market in the last 8 years that can't run the game. There are issues with Intel graphics chips that the devs are working on, is that where your trouble stems from?
    @rattmann

I'll qoute Lemernis, who wrote in your thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/89610/#Comment_89610:

"The main selling points of BG:EE:

- existing game entirely bug-fixed
    - uses the ToB engine (implements dual-wielding, kits, BG2 spell selection)
    - hi-res graphics
    - zoom feature
    - new GUI
    - new cinematics
    - playable on PC, iPad, Android, and cross-platfom
    - fixed multiplayer
    - three new professionally crafted NPCs with quests and interactions with existing NPCs (Monk, Blackguard, and Wild Mage)
    - new Blackguard kit
    - new (additional) voice sets for PC
    - new (additional) PC portraits
    - new areas
    - 6 hour stand-alone adventure module, The Black Pits
    - DLCs of new content to be released regularly post-ship
    - when BG2:EE is released you'll need BG:EE to integrate them both into a single platform to play the entire Enhanced saga in one go
    - dev team working with modding community to support mods
    - a bonus feature yet to be announced
    - success of BG:EE and BG2:EE will make development of Baldur's Gate III possible

And hopefully an official mod manager of some sort will be released as DLC in the near future."

In your posts there, you stated that you hoped the Devs would achieve those goals (or something to that effect).

Which of these goals did they miss?

I got all of what they promised, and for a lousy 20 bucks too.. :)