Skip to content

Where is this Enhanced Edition?

Comments

• BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    Oh, I'm gonna add to the list of awesome features: New and vastly improved Journal!
    It makes a huge difference, especially for new gamers to the BG series.

And I can play it on my 32" TV without feeling I'm controlling miniature ants or something with the great zoom feature..
  • rattmannrattmann Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2012
    Bytebrain said:

@rattmann

I'll qoute Lemernis, who wrote in your thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/89610/#Comment_89610:

"The main selling points of BG:EE:

- existing game entirely bug-fixed
    - uses the ToB engine (implements dual-wielding, kits, BG2 spell selection)
    - hi-res graphics
    - zoom feature
    - new GUI
    - new cinematics
    - playable on PC, iPad, Android, and cross-platfom
    - fixed multiplayer
    - three new professionally crafted NPCs with quests and interactions with existing NPCs (Monk, Blackguard, and Wild Mage)
    - new Blackguard kit
    - new (additional) voice sets for PC
    - new (additional) PC portraits
    - new areas
    - 6 hour stand-alone adventure module, The Black Pits
    - DLCs of new content to be released regularly post-ship
    - when BG2:EE is released you'll need BG:EE to integrate them both into a single platform to play the entire Enhanced saga in one go
    - dev team working with modding community to support mods
    - a bonus feature yet to be announced
    - success of BG:EE and BG2:EE will make development of Baldur's Gate III possible

And hopefully an official mod manager of some sort will be released as DLC in the near future."

In your posts there, you stated that you hoped the Devs would achieve those goals (or something to that effect).

Which of these goals did they miss?

I got all of what they promised, and for a lousy 20 bucks too.. :)

Half of that stuff I don't care about (an arena mode in BG? What's next, a multiplayer deathmatch mode?) and the other half is made up of things I can get from mods for free. The new NPCs are anything but professionally crafted and have as much personality as a dead cockroach, the cinematics are only slightly better than Flash animations I could make myself, the GUI is atrocious, and I would prefer that Baldur's Gate III be made by someone who actually knows how to make games properly instead of repackaging mods and passing them off as a remake. Granted, the things Lemernis said would be present are all there, but they were done so badly that they can hardly be called enhancements in any definition of the word. And DLCs are not an attractive feature- if I pay for a game, I expect to get it all at once rather than be nickel-and-dimed for things that it should have shipped with in the first place. For $20 I could just buy BG1 and BG2 from GOG and enhance them myself and do a much better job of it.

That's not to say it's a bad game- it just would have been better if Trent Oster realized that he went in over his head and gave the rights to someone more competent.
    Well, I disagree with you on every point..
    I love the new GUI, like the new movies, don't miss the old ones one bit.

I haven't played with the new NPC's yet, so I can't comment, but most here seems to think they're very good.

I also look forward to The Black Pit very much, to try out chars and play with friends. I know multiplayer isn't up to scratch yet, but they admitted as much before release, and I'm sure they'll get a proper matchmaking system implemented.

I like the new kits, the new portraits, (wish there were more, though), and I REALLY look forward to playing it on my iPad..

Just realized, it may seem like I'm stalking you here today, I've been disagreeing with you on two different boards.
    I'm sorry, I just don't understand the anger from you against the game.

But you have a right to your opinion, and I respect that.
  • rattmannrattmann Member Posts: 19
    Bytebrain said:

Well, I disagree with you on every point..
    I love the new GUI, like the new movies, don't miss the old ones one bit.

I haven't played with the new NPC's yet, so I can't comment, but most here seems to think they're very good.

I also look forward to The Black Pit very much, to try out chars and play with friends. I know multiplayer isn't up to scratch yet, but they admitted as much before release, and I'm sure they'll get a proper matchmaking system implemented.

I like the new kits, the new portraits, (wish there were more, though), and I REALLY look forward to playing it on my iPad..

Just realized, it may seem like I'm stalking you here today, I've been disagreeing with you on two different boards.
    I'm sorry, I just don't understand the anger from you against the game.

But you have a right to your opinion, and I respect that.

Not anger, just disappointment. Maybe I just expected too much from them. That being said, I'm sure that they'll take what they've learned and apply it to BG2:EE and make it truly worthy of the moniker "Enhanced Edition", if only because I can't bear to imagine the alternative.
  • ratoaratoa Member Posts: 15
    *shakes head and rolls eyes* I never ever played Baldur's gate back in the day, I saw the big boxes at the store but never got it till I bough the DVD version 8 months ago between that version and EE I take EE anyday

I like the UI,WS, and even the new Cut scenes, the game is fine, I think most of you are riding on the Nostalgia Bandwagon, a person like me that never got the chance to play this to death but have the DVD version can see beyond that and in my particular case I haven't seen any bugs just yet and I'm playing on a 5 year old HP/WINXP laptop
  • KharadorKharador Member Posts: 215
    This "enhanced" edition really disappointed me much more than I expected. What a shame that Beamdog has been exploited the fans to worsen this game. Simply BGT is better than this game, fewer bugs and more playable. I'm going to uninstalling the game and get the old... in GoG.
    Oh... and don't enhance more games ¡¡PLEASE!!
  • pukingdogpukingdog Member Posts: 25
    my opinion is probably biased because i played bg and bg2 so much, but i like the game so far.

the grafics are old school yes, but the game play is still fantastic, i arrived at the gnoll fortress yesterday
    evening, and i had a blast all night getting there.

the old game locked up a lot on my rig , but the enhanced version works flawlesly so far.
    Lets see what te rest of the game brings.

i am sorry for all the people who have troubles getting it running.
    i can understand your not happy when you bought it and it wont work.

• FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    KolonKu said:

@Freche

You bought the game without knowing what was included?

I knew what they announced for the EE.
    And in my opinion they have failed to deliver high enough quality for most of these announcements to warrant a re-release of an old classic.

What they are selling is currently a worse version of what has already been available for years and as a bonus you get some brand new never before seen bugs.

Their main selling points WOULD have made this a great release IF it worked properly.
    edited November 2012
    There is no way for sure how the game is going to work till is released to the masses and that's a fact, how many computer configuration do you know there are out there? They WILL fix the game just give them some time. you wanna see a bug fest try Bethesda, just saying
    ratoa said:

There is no way for sure how the game is going to work till is released to the masses and that's a fact, how many computer configuration do you know there are out there? They WILL fix the game just give them some time. you wanna see a bug fest try Bethesda, just saying

Misery loves company...
    ^^^ No I don't but if you been playing PC games the last 20 years you know things like this are going to happen, even to big publishers like EA and Activision, the game will be fixed if the game doesn't work for you too bad wait for the patch mine is working alright :)
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    I dont remember anyone from the beamdog saying that they would enhance modedded edition of bg, they said they are enhancing the original game not the mods.
    edited November 2012
    raywind said:

I dont remember anyone from the beamdog saying that they would enhance modedded edition of bg, they said they are enhancing the original game not the mods.

¿How do you explain that the original version with 2 mods is more stable than BG:EE?
    ¿How do you explain that the BGT is better with the same enhancements and more stable than BG:EE?
    I'll explain... Beamdog scammers!
    Modders have had what 12years time to fix the bugs, beamdog had few months.
    How is BGT better? in what part its better? installing it for a day?
  • dracuifydracuify Member Posts: 33
    Here's to hoping for more enhanced editions \o/

Personally haven't seen any problems so far and i'm really enjoying the game.

Never played BG1 because i didn't care for modding it. And now i don't have to mod the game and i'm able to enjoy it = Winwin.
    edited November 2012
    raywind said:

Modders have had what 12years time to fix the bugs, beamdog had few months. ---> NO JUSTIFICATION AT ALL. Don't do this version if you can't improve it!!!
    How is BGT better? ---> The game works fine with the same "enhancements" and free.
    Installing it for a day? ---> Actually you can spend all day installing BG:EE...
    Kharador said:

This "enhanced" edition really disappointed me much more than I expected. What a shame that Beamdog has been exploited the fans to worsen this game. Simply BGT is better than this game, fewer bugs and more playable. I'm going to uninstalling the game and get the old... in GoG.

Why on earth would you wish they didn't enhance more games?
    Don't buy the future ones, if you don't appreciate the effort with BG:EE

"Facepalm"
    edited November 2012
    Bytebrain said:

"Facepalm"

I don't want to see how a great game becomes a shit and Beamdog steal our money...
    For me allmost all mods made the game too easy (at least those that added areas and quests example: one mod i used added one huge city more and there were +4gear lying around everywhere on streets)
    Only mods that were even worth it were bug fixes and SCS. But those mods dont make the game any better than the EE is. Installing EE took around 1hour with downloading included while even adding tutu for bg took around 2-3hours and then the rest of the mods.
    Bytebrain said:

Kharador said:

"Facepalm"

+1 to this. You can always play the original games with all the mods you want to have @Kharador. Why would it anger you if they made more enhanced editions which very many people happens to like.

Some people just wants to see world burn...

edited November 2012
    Many people are so blind. I just recognize it. We have defrauded by Beamdog.
    I've seen BETAS less bugeds than this game, WHO HAVE 12 YEARS...
    Drama queen Kharador needs some attention!
    Kharador said:

Many people are so blind. I just recognize it. We have defrauded by Beamdog.

Some people are so dense. I just recognize it. We have been defrauded by a troll.

Enjoy your "enhanced" "game"!
  • joshykinsjoshykins Member Posts: 95
    I simply don't understand the hate. BG:EE is downright excellent in my book, I give major praise to the devs for pulling off what they did, especially being bound by so many restrictions in their contracts. This title put Overhaul games on the map for me and I'm extremely excited for whatever Enhanced Edition's of old Infinity Engine games they do in the future. Here's hoping for PS:T after BG2:EE!
  • McHardMcHard Member Posts: 19
    Fact is, i had more crashes/freezes as i had with bgt.
    But the main point while this "enhanced" thing sucks, is for me and my buddy, the promised, but obviously not so "enhanced" multiplayer part.

Port forward/Hamachi/Router UDP......for the ASS....shore!!

Kharador said:

Enjoy your "enhanced" "game"!

Oh i will, i'm not sure what you can enjoy. But try to enjoy nevertheless.

McHard said:

But the main point while this "enhanced" thing sucks, is for me and my buddy, the promised, but obviously not so "enhanced" multiplayer part.

Yeah i'm sorry to hear people having troubles, unfortunately on pc platform there's always problems. They'll be fixing these later on.

If nothing else works, you can always enjoy modded original games to full extent :)
    Kharador said:

raywind said:

Modders have had what 12years time to fix the bugs, beamdog had few months. ---> NO JUSTIFICATION AT ALL. Don't do this version if you can't improve it!!!
    How is BGT better? ---> The game works fine with the same "enhancements" and free.
    Installing it for a day? ---> Actually you can spend all day installing BG:EE...
    BGT doesn't have the same enhancements, don't talk drivel!
    BGT combined BG1 and BG2, this one will most likely be able to do so via mods too in the future, we won't know until they make BG2:EE
    the widescreen mod for Tutu and BGT looked horrible with high resolutions, because everything was tiny. (NO ZOOM).

I don't know what's wrong with your game, but if it's stability issues, I suggest you frequent the threads that deals with that, instead of coming with baseless accusations.

The game isn't better or worse than vanilla with mods.

It's optimized for newer computers.

Its got features previously impossible to mod, and will be easier to mod, and indeed many prominent mod authors have helped the Devs and support this project.

Yes, there may be some newly introduced bugs, which will be corrected as soon as possible, as was the case back in '98 when the original was released, and indeed, most other big titles ever released.

There's loads of new content, NPC's, videos etc. the quality of which is fantastic IMO, but if you don't like it, so what? That doesn't make the game worse than the old one, just bigger and with more choices.
    Don't make the choices to take a new NPC in your party if you don't like him. Like most of us did in vanilla with the original NPC's.

Get your anger in check and look at this with a cool head, maybe you expected too much, that's on you, not the developers of this fantastic game.
    McHard said:

Yeah, it sucks, but it's one of the things the Devs told us about in advance. They wouldn't have time to implement good multiplayer if the game was to make it out in November.

They're committed to make a matchmaking system for this, and in the mean time there's help here on the forums, where several people have posted how to make it work.