Skip to content

Archer vs Fallen Solars on SCS/LOB Ascension

MyragMyrag Member Posts: 328
So what is your preffered option for dealing with Fallen Solars as an Archer in SCS/LOB Amelyssan fight in Ascension.

In general there are no Arrows or Bolts with +4 enchantment level, only bullets.

For me I just switch to Erinee Sling and do GWW or Called Shot. But the damage is mediocre at best (~23 per shot with their 50% resistance to missle damage). With their 611 HP and -24 AC on LOB so it would take 3 rounds to kill them.

I thought of switching to Lathander>Fighter dual since they can get 10 APR with IH and boons but they would do the same damage as archer with GWW. So no dice here.

My approach would be: Stat drain using called shot with a archer and a simulacrum'ed archer (otherwise not enough APR to drain before expiry even with Gesen). This would take around 1.5 round instead.

I don't like BMU ammo as I feel it was just a fun hidden item, not intended for the real usage.

I know that they aren't that much of an issue for non archers who can use Ravager+6 or BBoD and level drain them, but I was wondering what do you guys use? :smile:

ps. I did the fight already several times, just optimizing the party now.

What are your tactics?
semiticgoddessGrond0

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    My solo LoB run relied on the Scorcher Ammunition, I'm afraid. It just wasn't safe to use other tactics in that run. At least in that version of SCS or Ascension, the Fallen Solars had unlimited, instant-casting Heal spells and it wasn't really possible to bring them down without astounding luck or the Scorcher Ammunition.

Note that Firetooth +4/+5 strikes as +4 by default, just like the Gesen Bow. And if you're using GWW, you can still use melee weapons to good effect even as an Archer. If you have the right Ascension Pocket Plane power (I forget its name; it's one of the evil ones, though you don't need an evil alignment to get it), you can also deal magic damage on melee hits that bypasses MR and heals you. Plus, Archers get a +4 to hit and damage against the Fallen Solars if they pick demon as a racial enemy.
    Grond0Myrag
  • MyragMyrag Member Posts: 328
    edited May 2021
    I used C:CreateCreate to test a little and reminded myself that Mel herself is immune even to +4 weapons, so Lathander>F would have issues there. Archer can use +5 Firetooth to at least have a chance.

I used codes "finmel01" for Amelyssan and "finsolar" for Fallen solar.

My biggest surprise is that both Mel and Fallen Solars are not immune to Called Shot stat drain. They died in less than 2 rounds under heavy rain of Archer Firetooth +5 bolts with Simulacrum and IH.

I will most likely skip this tactic because stat drain, level drain and OHKO tactics feels a little cheesy on LOB.

On unrelated note. My second surprise while testing was that Mel isn't immune to backstab. My FMT did 50 damage per backstab (with 120 absorbed from 75% slashing res). That's 500 damage in a round, which is 25% of her total HP. She isn't immune to crit either. Hmm... Maybe my installation is a little funky?

EDIT: I forgot Mel changes stats based on which of the BIG5 was killed, so some of the points I\ve made are invalid. :smile:
    Post edited by Myrag on
  • alice_ashpoolalice_ashpool Member Posts: 261
    Myrag wrote: »
    On unrelated note. My second surprise while testing was that Mel isn't immune to backstab. My FMT did 50 damage per backstab (with 120 absorbed from 75% slashing res). That's 500 damage in a round, which is 25% of her total HP. She isn't immune to crit either. Hmm... Maybe my installation is a little funky?

from the readme of Ascension:
    However, for each of the Five who are killed, Melissan's defenses weaken, as follows:
    [...]
    Balthazar (or Gromnir) killed: -100 hit points; physical damage resistance drops to 75%; vulnerable to backstabs (Melissan also receives this penalty if neither Balthazar nor Gromnir fights for her in the first place)
    semiticgoddess
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    On Melissan's weapon immunity - clearing out the Five (Abazigal specifically) will remove her immunity to +4 weapons. The item removed by killing Abazigal grants immunity to +3 and +4 weapons, but she already has immunity to +3 weapons on her permanent immunity item.
    semiticgoddess
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    The Archer can still use melee weapons and has the free Ranger pips in dual-wielding. By the time the grand finale rolls around, you might not miss the proficiency bonuses as much as you think. The first time I played an Archer he had to forgo the bow more often than I thought, but he also did better in melee than I thought he would too. Just a thought...
    semiticgoddess