Skip to content

How to revert to the old font?

While I appreciate it that the game is maintained and supported still, the new font disagrees with me heavily and I'd like to know how to revert it back to the old one aside from going back to a previous version - which is what I am doing currently. This is hardly a long-term solution obviously though.

The new font is actually giving me a headache after 15 minutes of playing, which I find pretty unpleasant.

To give my personal 2 cents, I'd honestly suggest making changes like these optional and allowing people to choose. Like the floating damage numbers!

Comments

• QuilistanQuilistan Member Posts: 177
    I agree. It is certainly a bit disorienting to read with the new font.
  • WilliamDracoWilliamDraco Member Posts: 175
    They changed the system behind fonts to now use TrueType fonts. The old font couldn't be found in a ttf variety and so they had to change it to something else. It can't be optional without maintaining both font systems, and the old system wasn't done away with for no reason (mainly to do with scaling). There are some updates in the latest preview build that will change it a little more, but your best bet for now is to override the font.

Fortunately, because it now uses an actual standard of ttf instead of weird specific format, you can pick any available ttf to replace it with.

The information here can tell you the names of the current fonts (note this is one of the things changing in the preview build)
    https://nwn.wiki/display/NWN1/Fonts

And here is a website to download free fonts, most of which in .ttf format.
    https://www.1001fonts.com/

Just download a font you like, rename it to be the same as the base-game font you want to replace, put it into your /override and boot up the game to see how it looks.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Also, we're looking into the feedback we're getting and the next patch will change something for those who are not happy with the font.
  • xiaoleiwenxiaoleiwen Member Posts: 186
    Two things I like in BG / IWD EE are:
    - the font type can be changed
    - the font size can be changed without changing the UI scale.

At least NWNEE has the first one now, just hope that some day we can have the second one.
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    Pardon for blurbing in, but I guess this default "Galahad" font seems to be available online through a Google search (although the results look shady enough that I wouldn't link any result directly and I assume these are applicable only for private local use), and Fixedsys Excelsior could pass for the console (this latter one is completely free for commercial use as well so this could even be acceptable for Beamdog).

That leaves the dialogue font which I can determinate what that is, but it is possible that it's just another system native font in Win98 and contemporary OSes.
  • QuilistanQuilistan Member Posts: 177
    Weird you have to rename the .ttf file in the ovr folder....

Isn't there, or shouldn't there just be a setting in the settings file to list the fonts used? or Perhaps this is already in the works?
    Allanon81
  • WilliamDracoWilliamDraco Member Posts: 175
    You should never be touching stuff in the ovr folder. That's the install directory - stay away from it.

Just put a new replacement font into the user directory (Windows: Documents/Neverwinter Nights/Override)