Skip to content

Dorn keep automatically talking at the FAI!

When ever I enter Friendly Arm INN Dorn starts to talk to me automatically and says "You will see the error of your ways soon enough. Begone!" and he keeps repeating this over and over and over again. As soon as I close the dialogue window he says it again and a new one opens up. My main character's commands gets canceled every time he does so moving around in FAI is a royal pain.

I have googled and found nobody else with this problem. The only mods I have is BG1NPC and BG1UB. I just reinstalled them both and validated the game files but I still have the same problem.

Does anybody have any idea what's wrong?

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    That's what Dorn says when he's outside the party and your reputation is above 19. But he's not supposed to automatically talk to you ...
    I suspect a glitch here - a variable that got set wrong at some point, likely when you dumped him from the party. He does automatically talk to you when you first dump him, but that's also supposed to set things so it doesn't happen again. You might be able to fix it by lowering your rep and letting him into the party, or you might have to get rid of him (either kill, or abandon somewhere you're not coming back to without letting him talk).

This most likely has nothing to do with any mods. The NPC project and UB generally don't do anything with the Beamdog content.
    JuliusBorisov
  • PatriCrusaderPatriCrusader Member Posts: 8
    jmerry wrote: »
    That's what Dorn says when he's outside the party and your reputation is above 19. But he's not supposed to automatically talk to you ...
    I suspect a glitch here - a variable that got set wrong at some point, likely when you dumped him from the party. He does automatically talk to you when you first dump him, but that's also supposed to set things so it doesn't happen again. You might be able to fix it by lowering your rep and letting him into the party, or you might have to get rid of him (either kill, or abandon somewhere you're not coming back to without letting him talk).

This most likely has nothing to do with any mods. The NPC project and UB generally don't do anything with the Beamdog content.

OK. Then hopefully it will fix itself when I get him to join again. Thanks! :smile:
    JuliusBorisov
  • PatriCrusaderPatriCrusader Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2021
    jmerry wrote: »

So I have gotten my reputation down enough so he can join me but he keeps automatically starting dialogue with me. Now it's the dialogue you get if you dismiss him. "Either you jest or your judgment has lapsed..." and he can't move because he just keeps saying that same thing over and over again.
    However after some checking around I found that others have had the same problem. There was a bug in the early version of the game that when it got fixed in a update this bug appeared in old saves.
    The solution was to use the console and type C:SetGlobal("kryll_conv","GLOBAL",2). That fixed the problem for me. :smiley:

Edit: I spoke too soon. I worked for a few minutes but then he started again. It was when I slept in a INN so that might be part of the problem. :neutral:
    Post edited by PatriCrusader on
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    @PatriCrusader your best shot is using the Stutter Debug Tool + Near Infinity and see which script and more precisely which block out of it keeps in firing.
    -Install the tool like a mod
    -Start your game with the stutter. Note down the script name and block number it shows in the game
    -look script up with Near Infinity and post the relevant script block here if you need help figuring out how to stop the stutter
    -deinstall the tool after it is no longer needed.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    And if all else fails ... there's always the "out of sight, out of mind" solution.

Take him into the party. Send him to a room you won't need to enter again (like one of those outbuildings at the Friendly Arm). Alone. Then dismiss him from the party, and never speak of this again. If he can't find you for a chat, he won't go back to his spot in the Friendly Arm's main hall.