Skip to content

Using Power Word spells?

I've never really paid attention to them, but now in my first SCS run it happened that, whenever I was careless enough to let Dynaheir's health drop, some enemy mage knocked her out with Power Word: Sleep, so I started to think if it's worth using them myself. Right now I'm in SoD and don't have access to the higher ones yet, but I'm wondering.

I mean, no saving throw?

If only there weren't those restrictions of not affecting creatures whose current HP are above a certain number.

So, does anyone use those spells? If so, is there a way to show enemy HP, or do you have to know how many HP your opponents have and estimate by their health bar if they're in the needed range, or do you just guess and cast, hoping for the best? (which I wouldn't do, wasting precious time if the enemy is unaffected)

Comments

• ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    I only use Power Word Stun myself, and that only occasionally. I find that by the time an enemy is low enough on hit points to be affected by PW Sleep they're only a hit or two away from death anyway.

True. Blind and Kill are very powerful with no saving throw, but I wouldn't waste a spell slot for them when I can cast level 8 or 9, there are too many more important spells there.

If I have slots to spare, I could imagine taking someone out with PW Sleep, like a caster who could still do something really nasty before I take him out, especially if he has PfMW or something active. But whoever is powerful enough for that will probably be protected from level 2 spells one way or another.

Power Word Stun looks useful though, but that leads me back to my initial question, how am I supposed to know he's below 90 HP?
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    You just have to take a guess or experiment. Or open NearInfinity and check the creature you're wanting to use the magic word on. I've found that most mages in the game, even in ToB, don't even have 60 max HP. If you get the drop on them with invisibility or stealth, you can instantly kill them with PW: Kill. PW: Stun and Kill also make for good finishing moves if you strip a mage of his defenses, especially when using Improved Alacrity.

PW: Sleep is probably best used as a disabler or a finisher at very low levels when mages don't have much or anything in the way of spell defenses.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i always use power word stun if i don't have finger of death available, especially in SoA its quite powerful, because there isn't many enemies who have more than 90 HPs in SoA, plus with my scripts I have, they are kind of "cheated" where my mage will not cast power word stun unless the enemy has 89 HP or less, so I never have to worry about it

even in ToB power word stun can still be useful, with enemies hitting like freight trains, making it so they can't move for 1-4 rounds could easily be the difference between life and death

also, power word blind works great to, in fact, unfortunately it works too great, and it also affects your party members as well, which i didn't care for, if it wasn't for that, I would have Jan use power word blind all the time ( since he can't learn finger of death of horrid wilting ) so i give jan power word stun and bigby's clenched fist for his level 7 and 8 spells
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    If you have the console available, then hover the mouse cursor over the target you want to check and type m with the ctrl key held down. That gives you a range of information about the target, though current HPs is the only thing I normally want (and PW spells check current HPs, not maximum ones).

I use PW: blind a reasonable amount to disable enemies with potentially nasty attacks (like dragons for instance, following use of lower resistance through contingency or sequencer). Playing solo, the lack of a saving throw, the very few enemies with immunity and the instant casting make it an attractive way to give yourself the time to prepare something more permanent.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    Thanks for the useful input everyone!
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    edited June 2021
    Last time I used a PW spell ... I was taking on the Nashkel mines. Backstab that SCS kobold shaman to open the fight for 28 damage, follow up with a PW:Sleep to take him out of the fight.

It didn't work. Still 21 HP left, no effect. How exactly does a level 6 mage have 49 HP to start with?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    jmerry wrote: »
    Last time I used a PW spell ... I was taking on the Nashkel mines. Backstab that SCS kobold shaman to open the fight for 28 damage, follow up with a PW:Sleep to take him out of the fight.

It didn't work. Still 21 HP left, no effect. How exactly does a level 6 mage have 49 HP to start with?

if its an actual shaman don't they roll d8 for HPs? and if so with 16 con, they can have up to 60 HP at level 6 which is maximum

although if the kobold is actually a mage with that many HP, then that is just the choice of the mod creator, even though SCS "claims" it is fair, that term "fair" is used very loosely especially from the last time i tried any SCS type mods back in the day
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    No, it's a mage. Arcane spells only. It's just called a shaman.