Skip to content

DELETED

Comments

• AciferAcifer Member Posts: 153
    Just chiming in to appreciate both passion and patience of this community :)
    To me, the need to try a certain part of the game over and over again, tweaking new tactics and dying a thousand deaths again has been one of the most fun parts of this game for the past twenty years.
  • 2hellwBg22hellwBg2 Member Posts: 19
    Genuine curiosity, @2hellwBg2 are there any (similar) games that you enjoy? Just for a frame of reference to understand some of your complaints.

I went and played Fallout 1, 2 and tactics. That combat system works, there is no "bad DM" moments or save-scumming to win.

Neverwinter nights; that's old school D&D with real time combat. But it's designed correctly

- Pillars of eternity; if a battle is going bad, you can still turn things around
    - Disco Elysium
    - Divinity Original Sin
    - Shadowrun

I think witcher etc is too different to BG. But almost every other RPG is fun to play, because they are not designed like dogshit.

In this game, you need to save 20,000 gold as part of your main quest. The game makes it sound like it will be an undertaking, but I had 15,000 gold before I left the slums for the first time just by selling stuff I got from killing the slavers etc. That progressed the story straight away, before I did anything else

BG isn't just about meta-gaming, it's save-scumming and more importantly, knowing where all the traps etc already are, thus you are not "playing the game", you are just ticking off checkboxes
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited August 2021
    Actually, even though the OP isn't being very diplomatic expressing his frustration, I think he may have some good points among all the vitriol.

I sometimes wonder how much of my enjoyment of Baldur's Gate is because of nostalgia, based on how young I was when I played it, and how it brings back feelings of being in that time of my life again. We talk about nostalgia often, but I think it may be even more powerful a thing than we consciously realize.

When I played Baldur's Gate upon release, that and Might and Magic 6 were the only games in town to scratch the D&D itch. I remember being very frustrated with the Tarnesh fight on my first play, having to reload multiple times until I got lucky. I don't even remember how I finally got past it. I save-scummed my way all the way to Sarevok, and couldn't beat him in the final fight in his original incarnation, with his effective magic immunity, no matter how many times I tried.

I shrugged and moved on to something else, still feeling I had had a great experience. The internet wasn't even a big thing yet, and I had no exposure whatsoever to the idea that "save scumming" is bad, and the only honorable way to play a game is as a "no-reload". That came later from internet peer pressure.

I couldn't wait to play BG2 when it came out, and I rushed right out to buy it. I spent many happy hours save-scumming my way through that. It was just how we played back then, and nobody I knew of thought twice about it.

Fast forward many years, to when I tried to play Pathfinder: Kingmaker. I went into it with the mindset of "no or minimal reloading", because again, internet peer pressure. And I got frustrated and angry with one or two encounters somewhere in the middle, said "bad game design, I don't like it", and quit. There were many "gotcha" moments all over the place, that seemed to be there to make a player reload.

I think I've forgotten what it feels like to play Baldur's Gate with no foreknowledge of encounters. The thing is loaded with "gotcha" encounters. But I know exactly where they all are now.

So I do think I can try to be understanding if a new player finds BG impossibly frustrating, and just plain no fun. Games were designed very differently back then, with a different mindset. The whole gaming culture was different. Expectations today are different. Game designers have to design to their market if they want to stay in business.
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    2hellwBg2 wrote: »
    I don't get it. If I am that annoyed by a game design I just stop playing it and move on. I would never bother to write walls of text bitching about it for over a month. It must not be 'that' bad of a game design if you're this familiar with a 20 year old game. Just saying...

I got it because of BG3.
    When I played the Witcher 3, I had to stop and go back to play 1 & 2 before finishing 3
    Think of it like watching star wars 3 first without seeing 1 and 2

Interesting. I take it that you're enjoying BG3 then? I'm hoping to like it myself when it's finally released, but I have reservations...

It has many problems, but many of the problems were present in Divinity Sin before it's final release, and that game turned out amazing, so I'm optimistic
  • SBlackSBlack Member Posts: 32
    I got it because of BG3.
    When I played the Witcher 3, I had to stop and go back to play 1 & 2 before finishing 3
    Think of it like watching star wars 3 first without seeing 1 and 2
    It's not not the same at all. You can easily play The Witcher 3 without having played the previous ones.

BG3 is only very loosely connected to 1 & 2. It's not a direct continuation at all. Necessary lore like Bhaal or the Dead Three maybe can be looked up or will be explained again.

Hell, it's not even necessary to have played BG1 to enjoy BG2. I started with BG2 back in the day and never felt like I missed anything. In retrospect I missed out on some of the cameos by BG1 NPCs, but those quests still work well without that knowledge. But what you need to know about the background story is all explained at the start. The BG1 story is really very simple and all the Sarevok stuff can be summed up in a few sentences.
    edited August 2021
    Actually, even though the OP isn't being very diplomatic expressing his frustration, I think he may have some good points among all the vitriol.

I sometimes wonder how much of my enjoyment of Baldur's Gate is because of nostalgia, based on how young I was when I played it, and how it brings back feelings of being in that time of my life again. We talk about nostalgia often, but I think it may be even more powerful a thing than we consciously realize.

When I played Baldur's Gate upon release, that and Might and Magic 6 were the only games in town to scratch the D&D itch. I remember being very frustrated with the Tarnesh fight on my first play, having to reload multiple times until I got lucky. I don't even remember how I finally got past it. I save-scummed my way all the way to Sarevok, and couldn't beat him in the final fight in his original incarnation, with his effective magic immunity, no matter how many times I tried.

I shrugged and moved on to something else, still feeling I had had a great experience. The internet wasn't even a big thing yet, and I had no exposure whatsoever to the idea that "save scumming" is bad, and the only honorable way to play a game is as a "no-reload". That came later from internet peer pressure.

I couldn't wait to play BG2 when it came out, and I rushed right out to buy it. I spent many happy hours save-scumming my way through that. It was just how we played back then, and nobody I knew of thought twice about it.

Fast forward many years, to when I tried to play Pathfinder: Kingmaker. I went into it with the mindset of "no or minimal reloading", because again, internet peer pressure. And I got frustrated and angry with one or two encounters somewhere in the middle, said "bad game design, I don't like it", and quit. There were many "gotcha" moments all over the place, that seemed to be there to make a player reload.

I think I've forgotten what it feels like to play Baldur's Gate with no foreknowledge of encounters. The thing is loaded with "gotcha" encounters. But I know exactly where they all are now.

So I do think I can try to be understanding if a new player finds BG impossibly frustrating, and just plain no fun. Games were designed very differently back then, with a different mindset. The whole gaming culture was different. Expectations today are different. Game designers have to design to their market if they want to stay in business.

I am writing harshly. I would like to add it is directed at the game, and not anyone here. I think every person replying to my frustration is surprisingly level-headed and calm. Maybe you guys are older or something, so you are more mature minded

I'll leave it at that

Thanks to everyone that tried recommendations

PS: my epic battle with sarevok, step by step I revealed his location (so as not to alert his allies) lured him toward the door and had summons tank him while shooting him with arrows. my main character stood there and did nothing, because he couldn't do anything

wand of summoning. it felt unrewarding, i didn't even fight the end boss. and yes; learnt to do that via save-scumming
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Pokota wrote: »
    Can I ask you something?

Why is having to reload bad?

Because it's reloading to pre-plan a battle you are about to face (or pickpock)

Summoning creatures, buffing etc right before a fight you know is about to take place (but didn't before you died) is immersion breaking

or you try again; until the attack / spell rolls go your way.
    And you have to, because there is no "coming back" in a fight.

Save before a fight; reload until you win

It's called save-scumming. And a lot of players hate that, it's indicative of terrible game design

Oh here is a lich, well let's reload. Lay some traps, or cast a scroll (piece of paper) that makes me immune to one of the most powerful creatures in the universe before I encounter that creature

Okay, so now I have a better understanding of your position.

A large part of why I'm willing to "put up with" reload-itis is because I grew up with something called "Trial and Error Gameplay" - where the only way to win is to be patient enough to lose about five thousand times. Is it bad design? By modern sensibilities, yes, but judging the past by the standards of the present is a good way to end up enjoying nothing at all (since twenty years from now you'll be in the position I'm in now, defending the design decisions of the games you like that were made now from people who have decided that those design decisions are also bad)

I get that you don't like reloading, because it's immersion-breaking and disruptive to the narrative. This is why games have moved away from this in general. But you're playing a game that was, essentially, first made in 1996. All those innovative changes to game design that you're lusting after didn't exist yet.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    I don't get it. If I am that annoyed by a game design I just stop playing it and move on. I would never bother to write walls of text bitching about it for over a month. It must not be 'that' bad of a game design if you're this familiar with a 20 year old game. Just saying...

Heh, to be fair, he ain't the only here guilty of this.
    edited August 2021
    Pokota wrote: »
    Can I ask you something?

Why is having to reload bad?

Reloading isnt necessarily bad. But reloading at the beginning of a game you are playing for the first time is often an experience most players don't find very fun. Again, players were much more tolerant of this in the past.
  • ThunderburpThunderburp Member Posts: 51
    edited August 2021
    If that's really what OP said, then the 2nd point is wrong.[1] The 4th point also is IMO. I don't recall Dragon Age: Origins being easier or harder for instance. It was significantly tougher to solo it early game in particular, and after a while you can become invincible in both games.

Remain point 1: I would say "easy to die", not "too easy to die", it's a good thing IMO; and point 3: Not sure.

[1] Levelling up in D&D is slower than in some games, but one level up is worth more power up. In BG you're rolling good at level 2 and safe at level 3. Level 3 is reached at 3 to 5K XP, level cap is at 89 to 161K.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    As long time players, we know how to level quickly and safely to get past 1. But first time players with no pre-knowledge? Its very easy to still be level 1 going into the Nashkel Mines. I certainly was the first few times I played through the game. So point 2 is 100% valid.
  • ThunderburpThunderburp Member Posts: 51
    edited August 2021
    Can't generalise our own play styles. My first playthrough as a kid, my mages levelled up to 3 by the end of the Nashkel mines. IIRC, I only did Friendly Arm, Beregost, Bassilius, Nashkel and the mines, clearing each area on my path. Areas are inaccessible unless you reach the edge of the screen that faces their general direction so people can't just jump to Nashkel, I would venture a guess that they have to travel through places and not visit them to reach the mines underlevelled. It could be calculated to know beyond a guess, but... ^_^'

Also, good luck not being level 2 after your nearly first quest "clearing the Nashkel mines". Which is why point 2 is wrong: You don't stay low level for a very long part of the game. A level 1 party dies quick if it wanders off the planned path, but once it survives, it levels up to 2 (and 3) fast.

Edit: A party may stay on the weak side at any level if it fails to get AC equipment though. This might be the one element that makes most of the game easy or hard: Equipment. You die without it. And you're bored if you optimize it too much.
    Post edited by Thunderburp on
    From the prologue to Nashkell IS a long time to be level 1. Its a whole third of the story outside BG.
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    From the prologue to Nashkell IS a long time to be level 1. Its a whole third of the story outside BG.

Yep, especially if you're stopping to talk to everyone in Beregost and Nashkell, and I think alot of new players are going to do this. You can easily spend 10 hours in the game before leveling.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    After close to twenty years and multiple no-reload runs I dread to think how much I might’ve played this game if it had been well designed ;). But joking aside it’s true that gamers in 20 years time will also likely criticise the conventions of modern day games.
    Mantis37 wrote: »
    After close to twenty years and multiple no-reload runs I dread to think how much I might’ve played this game if it had been well designed ;). But joking aside it’s true that gamers in 20 years time will also likely criticise the conventions of modern day games.

I already do that now. Does that make me a game hipster?
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,351
    edited August 2021

I dont know.

Try answering this hispter spotter question:
    Are you wearing an old school hat?

If so, you are a hispter.
    Post edited by StummvonBordwehr on

I dont know.

Try answering this hisptet spotter question:

Uh oh.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

I dont know.

Does an Irish flat cap count?
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,351
    edited August 2021

I dont know.

Does an Irish flat cap count?

Hmm. That one is not clear and obvious - at least acoording to my 90 second Google research:
    https://spotlightnews.com/thespot/2020/03/11/hipsters-old-men-women-wear-them-too-the-flat-cap-is-a-trend-that-wont-go-away-soon/

Apparantly, you are either
    1) Old,
    2) Peaky Blinders fan, or
    3) Hipster - but late to the party.

Ps. Sorry for derailing - my bad. Lets get back to the topic..
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    You have a point, though I pose you a question: Why do you think, 20 years later, that the game is so commended for its replayability?

My answer would be the modding community keeping the game , surely. I mean, the game it self is gold as it is, I find it quite well written (Bioware's part, at least), with a rich story and BG2 revolutionized PC D&D games, but over the years players have enjoyed several mods to fills certain gaps you've mention: Better combat AI, more NPCs, extra quests, new magic items... Truly, without the modding community I doubt we'd still be playing, it would still be memorable but it'd be like reading the same book for years.

I didn't mean to go offtopic so, to conclude, I still think you're judging a 20 year old game with 2021 lenses.
  • IllustriousSuperlordIllustriousSuperlord Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2021
    :*
    Post edited by IllustriousSuperlord on
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    edited August 2021
    I don't agree with that in two ways: firstly, I think you overstate how much "foresight" BG 1 requires and secondly, in comparison, I think this is actually a larger problem in BG 2.

Starting by looking at the end-of-chapter battles you always have a standard class as the main opponent and usually fight against parties that have a similar composition to your party. You this shouldn't ever come as a surprise. Looking at some of the random exploration areas: basilisks are surrounded by statues of previous adventures. So they are signaled to you as well. For the main siren map you get a specific message when you first enter.

For the expansion content: the ice island is pretty straightforward in what to expect, though I sort of have to say the narrow maps suck with pathfinding. I am glad they got rid of those. Werewolf island can be bad if you don't have the right weapons, but it's signaled pretty strongly. The chess board can be bad. The demon knight is fairly straightforward, since the mirror is very optional. Aac'letec is a pain, though to be honest you get warned about the gaze if you read the dialogue. I don't think that is too bad.

In contrast, BG 2 has the unavoidable death trap in Spellhold, Kangaxx is virtually impossible without knowing exactly what he does, every enemy with immunity to time stop easily kills your party member when you use it, beholders are a pain in the ass without having a specific shield, mindflayers need very specific preparation (they are usually signaled but not always).

And the claim about the d20 system cheating is bogus. Never saw anyone managing to substantiate those claims for either BG 1 or BG 2 (and I have heard them about every single game on the marked!). And especially now that they run in the same engine, it's pretty out there to think BG 2 is fair and BG 1 is not.

EDIT: that is not to say that I think BG 1 is perfect and does not have a few encounters. That siren which kisses you (unavoidably so in the original) is pretty bad and with the chessboard event the first time around you either tend to fall pray to the punishment for moving or you expect the enemies to sort of follow chess rules on their own, while they end up just rushing you.
    There have been multiple statistical analysis on this forum alone, and none of them could demonstrate a dice bias against the player.
    Ammar wrote: »
    Starting by looking at the end-of-chapter battles you always have a standard class as the main opponent and usually fight against parties that have a similar composition to your party. You this shouldn't ever come as a surprise. Looking at some of the random exploration areas: basilisks are surrounded by statues of previous adventures. So they are signaled to you as well. For the main siren map you get a specific message when you first enter.

Yeah this is a very well said response. I'd also throw-in that I can't even count some of the TotSC content against BG1, as that was all designed to be extra-hard.

The contrast with BG2 is good too. BG2 simply throws alot, alot more instant death stuff at the party. As someone who comes back to these games once a year or so to try no-reload runs, yeah, you don't really have to have that much foreknowledge to survive. At least not until the very late content in the game, which should be quite hard. You do need to learn some basic principles, so perhaps that's true. Traps tend to be in dungeons, so you have to explore them slowly. And spellcasters are highly dangerous in a fight, so you really need to unload on them without reservations. But these are lessons you really should have adopted by the time you complete the Nashkel mines. The game teaches you, quickly, what the chief challenges are.

As we've both said above, if there's a good critique of BG1's challenge, it's that, in a standard playthrough, grinding up from level one is quite difficult. And does feel like an unfair, tedious challenge, in contrast to much of the rest of the game.

BG2, in contrast, just throws tons of insta, permadeath threats at you. More than even what Ammar just listed above, there are many permadeath traps. Many wizards with permadeath spells equipped. And so many more fights that really do benefit from massive, specific pre-buffing. And thus from foreknowledge.
    BG2 is one of the best cases I've seen of, "You played the first game, right?".
  • wukewuke Member Posts: 113
    TBH BG's replay value largely comes from "let me find another way to cheese this guy" moments. Comparing it to check-boxing actually makes sense.

In most fights there's someone in your party does almost nothing. In some situations you don't want to use your previous spells, sometimes it's simply too risky to go melee and it's best to let a mage blow everyone up in Time Stop. That's more obvious at very low levels and in ToB. It's acceptable but I won't say it's very good design.