Skip to content

DELETED

124»

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    All good points, I also want to point out something that might make new players twitch. One of the big reasons BG1 was so successful on release was that it was considered the most accessible computer rpg on the market. Let that sink in a bit. It had a clear set of rules, it taught you contextually with little consequence (reloads only a keystroke away) and had a full fledged tutorial. The game made the tools and basic knowledge to play available to the player out the gate. But compared to modern games, this might as well be a harder dark souls.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited August 2021
    Yeah, the beginning of BG is very unforgiving. Case in point, the lowly ?. I've lost more no-reloads to wandering wolves than I care to admit. In fact, forget about vampires, beholders, or even enemy mages, wolves have probably killed more of my Charnames than any other creature. They're super-fast and even trying to kite them can be difficult enough to lead to disaster (especially if you're kiting with your familiar). That's a hard-earned 65 xp!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    That first black bear.
  • FireballFodderFireballFodder Member Posts: 10
    I can understand the preference for being able to play without needing to reload, but I'm not sure I understand why such players wouldn't just play in story mode. Isn't that why it was added to the game?
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    edited August 2021
    I can understand the preference for being able to play without needing to reload, but I'm not sure I understand why such players wouldn't just play in story mode. Isn't that why it was added to the game?

It's not a matter of convenience usually. Most people who play no-reload do it as a challenge, so lowering the difficulty would contradict that idea.

But if you're referring to the fact that the original poster claimed you need to save-scum, i.e. reload a thousand times just to survive or get a decent outcome, that's what many people here were trying to prove wrong with their explanations and suggestions how to use the available tools the game is giving you.

So, the idea is that if you don't want to reload at all, you usually do it for the extra challenge, which story mode would make pointless, but story mode shouldn't be necessary for a dedicated and prepared player to get through a reasonably balanced game without reloading 100 times for every encounter.
    And I suppose someone who thinks Stealth, scouting and using spells like Sleep are cheesy would think that even more about story mode.
    I'm indeed not talking about no-reloaders, I'm talking about people like the OP who want to be able to go through the game blind without "save-scumming".

I mean, I played through SoD for the first time recently, on SCS Hardcore, without trying for a no reload, and only had to reload twice, so I hardly think constant reloads are inevitable without foreknowledge. I'm just questioning why people complain about the difficulty being too high while (seemingly) refusing to turn the difficulty down.
  • GuttaperkaGuttaperka Member Posts: 3
    I have to agree. I have played through both BG1 and BG2 countless times and I really enjoy almost everything about the games. But what I enjoy most is the atmosphere: the characters, the music, the graphics, etc. I've never thought the battle system is any good and it only gets enjoyable once one gains meta knowledge about the encounters.

Now, what really is downright awful is the trap system. There's no excuse for how bad it is. Trap detection is so horribly slow that you tend to just walk over them before your thief gets a chance to detect them. Without auto-pause it's basically unusable unless you enjoy spending your time slowly walking a couple of meters at a time in every dungeon.

The battle system is enjoyable for me, knowing everything inside out (well, not that well compared to some here, but still). However, playing SoD for the first time I find myself swearing and wanting to smash my computer with a heavy sledgehammer. Every encounter just kills me (aggravated by my dualing a berserker to a worthless mage just before and being presented worthless companion NPC's). Enemies suddenly hit you as often as in ToB, AC seems to be of no use whatsoever. Also, suddenly, all enemies are smart à la Icewind dale, trying to kill your weak party members. It's ridiculous, and I can't fathom how someone would find this fun (for reference I do like Icewind dale, but it's all about combat so expectations are different... or something).

It turns into: oh, btw, traps -> you're dead OR "oh, surprise encounter" -> you're dead.

In SoD the dialogue and story seems mediocre, so it wouldn't help to use story mode either, I guess.

Thank god for eekeeper, which is what makes these games playable. Nowadays, I just modify my stats from the start and give myself a bag of holding and other quality of life improvements.

Sadly, mods don't work on Linux otherwise I would mod the game to high heaven.

I play these games out of nostalgia and language learning now that they've been translated. And with metagaming it's actually quite fun.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,572
    I do think there's a great deal of save-scummyness in the early parts of BG1 that you just don't see quite as much in later RPG's. Heck, even Icewind Dale did what it could to quickly get you to level 2. I still find this part of the game alot of fun on replays. As well there are some strengths to the long period it takes to level up.

But it's just worth noting that alot of subsequent RPG's went to great pains to design their games to be quite forgiving early on. The combination of how easy it is to lose a level one character (not even permadeath) coupled with how painful it is to drag their stuff back and pay for raise dead, that is a dynamic you don't see in other games.

While I think the original poster overstates this flaw a bit, I do think it's worth everyone here recognizing what it's like to play BG1, blind, and with the experience of some much more forgiving CRPG's.
  • GuttaperkaGuttaperka Member Posts: 3
    DinoDin wrote: »
    I do think there's a great deal of save-scummyness in the early parts of BG1 that you just don't see quite as much in later RPG's. Heck, even Icewind Dale did what it could to quickly get you to level 2. I still find this part of the game alot of fun on replays. As well there are some strengths to the long period it takes to level up.

But it's just worth noting that alot of subsequent RPG's went to great pains to design their games to be quite forgiving early on. The combination of how easy it is to lose a level one character (not even permadeath) coupled with how painful it is to drag their stuff back and pay for raise dead, that is a dynamic you don't see in other games.

While I think the original poster overstates this flaw a bit, I do think it's worth everyone here recognizing what it's like to play BG1, blind, and with the experience of some much more forgiving CRPG's.

Inventory management (which in and of itself is a pain) is why I never resurrect NPCs. It's just easier to reload.

I think later games have solved this issue in a better way.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,572
    Selerel wrote: »
    Personally I don't think there's any (fun) way to do no-reload WITHOUT using some metagame knowledge, which for me personally is not a trade-off I want to make (I try to play more RP). However, I did stumble on something which I've been pleasantly surprised about: counting or logging reloads.

The first game I probably ever played with a "no-reload" mentality was Link to the Past on the SNES. I wasn't even aware enough to call it no-reload and these were pre-internet days. But the end credit scroll showed you a log of your number of deaths, and I worked and worked at getting that number lower. Until I did get it to zero. Really did end up changing the way I approached certain games.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I played through SoD for the first time recently, on SCS Hardcore, without trying for a no reload, and only had to reload twice

Congrats on doing that! I remember @semiticgoddess also completed SoD without reloads from the first attempt. However, IIRC, SCS doesn't affect anything in SoD, except for very small things.
    DinoDin wrote: »
    The first game I probably ever played with a "no-reload" mentality was Link to the Past on the SNES. I wasn't even aware enough to call it no-reload and these were pre-internet days. But the end credit scroll showed you a log of your number of deaths, and I worked and worked at getting that number lower. Until I did get it to zero. Really did end up changing the way I approached certain games.

Yeah, Might & Magic games had a similar screen and this is where I first started to count reloads.
    Congrats on doing that! I remember @semiticgoddess also completed SoD without reloads from the first attempt. However, IIRC, SCS doesn't affect anything in SoD, except for very small things.

Thanks, I had put off playing SoD for years because of all the... well, I'm sure you know. However, I ended up really enjoying the expansion.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    2hellwBg2 wrote: »
    2. Certain enemies have inbuilt near 100% resistance to spell interrupt, so they always cast their hold person etc

One of the OP's complaints about the game was that it is impossible to interrupt certain spellcasters. I had never noticed this before but a recent encounter with Corsone, the druid in Larswood, suggests he might have a point:

gxj4o1qn370u.png

He has been hit by Khalid (twice) and Jaheira in the middle of casting the spell and yet still managed to get the spell off.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    As stated on the first page, this has something to do with directionality.
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    The system that determines whether a character will have their spells interrupted is really weird and nonsensical. It depends on which way the character is facing. How it works is that if a character is facing north, south, east, west, northeast, southeast, southwest, or northeast, their spells will be interrupted on damage, but if they're facing one of the directions in between (NNE, ENE, ESE, SSE, SSW, WSW, WNW, or NNW), then their spells can't be interrupted. It's definitely not a great system.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited September 2021
    Pokota wrote: »
    As stated on the first page, this has something to do with directionality.
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    The system that determines whether a character will have their spells interrupted is really weird and nonsensical. It depends on which way the character is facing. How it works is that if a character is facing north, south, east, west, northeast, southeast, southwest, or northeast, their spells will be interrupted on damage, but if they're facing one of the directions in between (NNE, ENE, ESE, SSE, SSW, WSW, WNW, or NNW), then their spells can't be interrupted. It's definitely not a great system.

Damn. He can only have been a degree or two away from facing due east. I guess I was unlucky.

I wish I could have been listening in when the original developers came up with that system. It would be great to hear the reasoning that led to that decision.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Time for a feature request