Skip to content

Problem With Icewind Dale's Swashbuckler, Maybe?

deathgeonousdeathgeonous Member Posts: 64
I just made a Swashbuckler in Icewind Dale, but when I went to assign my proficiency points, it would only let me put one point in anything, rather then the two it should of let me in longswords like I tried to. Since Swashbuckler lets you put two points in any Melee Thief Weapon, I should have been able to put two points in Longsword from the Start, right? I know I can do that I BG, so...

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    while this may be true ( perhaps its because the swashbuckler is a thief type class and in the .2da thieves can only have 1 proficiency point at level 1 in any weapon )

once you grow up levels you will be able to go pass that 1 proficiency point, and growing to level 4 for a thief in IWD will be pretty quick, so the down time shouldn't be too bad
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    There are multiple .2da files that control proficiency allocations.
    - PROFS.2da: How many proficiency dots does each class get at level 1, and how often do they get new ones with levels? Only base classes appear here; kits inherit from them.
    - PROFSMAX.2da: How many dots can be put into a given proficiency based on class and level? In the BG (EE) series, this is 2 (level 1), 5 (overall maximum), 3 (level 3), 4 (level 6), 5 (level 9) for all classes. Only base classes appear here; kits inherit from them.
    - WEAPPROF.2da: How many points can each class put into each weapon and style? Kits are included here; this is what controls things like an Archer being able to grandmaster bows but not specialize in swords, or a Cavalier not being able to become proficient in ranged weapons. Along with all of the other differences between class maxima.

So that's the thing to check - what does PROFSMAX.2da have to say about thieves, and what does WEAPPROF.2da have to say about swashbucklers?
    Grond0StummvonBordwehr
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited July 2021
    PROFSMAX.2da is nerfed in IWDEE (as far back as v1.4).
    All non-warrior classes have FIRST_LEVEL and OTHER_LEVELS columns set to 1, yet their "3", "6", and "9" columns remain the same as the warrior classes: 3, 4, 5.
    Kit's that allow more than proficiency get held back at chargen.

Seeing as how this only affects kits (which didn't exist in original IWD), I can't see how it could be intended.
    Grond0StummvonBordwehr
  • SBlackSBlack Member Posts: 32
    Ah, this could explain why I thought there was something wrong with the Rogue Rebalancing mod. That has a component that allows 3 pips in dual wielding for all thieves and bards. This works in BG2 at character generation, but not in IWD. I thought that was the fault of the mod, but apparently it's the base game.
    Grond0