Skip to content

Is there a mod that fully restores Use Any Item?

valamyrvalamyr Member Posts: 130
I'd be interested in a mod that restores pre-EE functionality to Use Any Item, the thief HLA.

It would restore the ability to use all companion items on a character who has it. I'm sure it's theoretically doable, even if it required duplicating every single item that has been changed to disallow UAI. Ideally I'd like even BG1 backwards compatibility for a few key items, but I could do without.

That change has been my least favorite 'improvement' by Beamdog by far, so thanks to anyone who can point me to a solution. :)

Comments

• kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    UAI hasn't been altered.

A new 2da file (ITEM_USE.2DA) was added for a variety of NPC-only items, for various purposes.
    • For M'khiin, it prevents her items from being unequipped without a replacement (as she always needs "something" in those slots for her animation).
    • For some, it provides unique string displays when you attempt to remove their irremovable equipment (edwin's amulet, alora's rabbit foot, etc...).
    • For others, it both provides a unique string and prevents the item from being equipped by anyone else. These are the entries you would need to remove, they all have a "2" in the 3rd column (FLAG).
  • valamyrvalamyr Member Posts: 130
    Thanks for the information. It's still possible to do, but I guess it hasn't been done yet. I've done some modding before, I'll look into whether I could whip up a weidu mod that patches the last category.. sometimes you just gotta make your dreams happen yourself hahah!
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    If you're doing this, I'd recommend editing the NPC-specific items as well. Many of them have overly restrictive race/class/attribute requirements as well, when an opcode 319 "Restrict item" as on the Harper Pin (MISC5X in BG2EE) would serve better. While UAI overcomes race requirements, class requirements, and "Restrict Item", it doesn't help with attribute requirements.