Skip to content

What’s the most fun play through for a new player?

Let’s say you’re going to introduce a player to BG, and they’re going to play all the games; BGEE, SoD, BG2EE and ToB.

What would you suggest they play for the most power and fun, and what companions would you take along in each game?

Comments

• DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    For new players, the paladin kit cavalier is best for a first play, staple immunties, combat powers, easy to use etc. The strongest class btw is fighter/mage (gnome fighter/illusionist or elven fighter/mage multi for ease of use) if you learn the spells and magic to use. I dont recommended dual class for first play, because of fiddy mechanism, and you can try it by using Imoen to dual class to mage.
    First game, there is a canon party if you want some semi-balanced group, Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc and Dynaheir is fine for a first time.
  • WoebegoneWoebegone Member Posts: 18
    edited August 2021
    I'd ask what kind of character they gravitate towards in other games. Tank, healer, magic user, melee damage dealer, archer? Certainly nothing wrong with a Cavalier...that's a good suggestion. I also think a Fighter/Thief, Fighter/Cleric(or Cleric/Ranger), or as Danacm suggested a Fighter/Mage are all good choices.

I personally like multi-class characters so my first suggestion would probably be a Fighter/Thief for the utility throughout the trilogy and for the better ranged options in Baldur's Gate. One of my easiest trilogy runs was with a Fighter/Thief. But this is subjective.

As for companions, I'd suggest a first time player choose more organically. Let the story play out and see what happens.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited August 2021
    I'm going to put in another vote for Cavalier. Their immunity to poison and fear is huge in BG1 - it is great to be able to keep your head (and health) when all around you are losing theirs. I don't think any other character class gives you such an easy introduction to the game.

For companions I personally think Imoen is a must and I find I rely on Jaheira a lot, particularly in SoA. Insect Plague solves an awful lot of problems.
  • KatzerchenKatzerchen Member Posts: 61
    Depends on the player.

To someone who has played other D&D games and is more the roleplayer, I'd recommend they choose their favorite race, class and alignment.
    (I picked elven ranger for my first playthrough and it was the right choice for me. I would have had less fun with lawful or evil alignment.)

To someone who isn't familiar with D&D and never heard of AD&D 2nd, I might recommend a Berserker as this is a really beginner-friendly class. With the rage protecting against some nasty effects and spells.

I'd recommend mage classes only to players who love playing mages in other games and have some knowledge of the ruleset already, as the variety of spells and what they do can be overwhelming.

As for companions, I think it is more rewarding for the player to find out for themselves. "Save often" is what I would recommend anyway, so why spoil the fun?
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Danacm wrote: »
    For new players, the paladin kit cavalier is best for a first play, staple immunties, combat powers, easy to use etc. The strongest class btw is fighter/mage (gnome fighter/illusionist or elven fighter/mage multi for ease of use) if you learn the spells and magic to use. I dont recommended dual class for first play, because of fiddy mechanism, and you can try it by using Imoen to dual class to mage.
    First game, there is a canon party if you want some semi-balanced group, Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc and Dynaheir is fine for a first time.
    Is there a canon SoD or BG2 party?

• wukewuke Member Posts: 113
    In BG2 I feel a "good" party with companions new players tend to recruit naturally along the way are more easy to use for them: Minsc has vampires as favored enemy and uses Lilacor to defend against mind spells, Jaheira easily disables mages, Imoen covers basic need for a thief while being a usable mage at the same time, etc.
    On the other hand evil party is more min-maxed and is better for players who know what they are doing. Just look at Edwin, Korgan and Viconia. They are very specialized and some even have an advantage over charname of the same class.
  • SBlackSBlack Member Posts: 32
    BG2 throws a lot of characters at you right away. It's almost too easy to stick to those instead of switching for others. But you can always select other people along the way.
    There is no such a canon like party in bg2. The bg1 is considered canon because you start bg2 with them (and with previous adventures memories). In bg2 the starter choice maybe: Minsc, Jaheira, Imoen (Yoshimo, Nalia), Aerie and the last place is changed over time ( you can just do the personal quest of more npcs) like Keldorn, Anomen, Valygar, Mazzy etc.
    If you want evil party, ofc you have options as well but i not advise for first time.
    If usefulness means practical, other than Jan you can use Keldorn and Korgan and no other npc needed :D
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    Paladins or Rangers for the BG series imo. Playing a mostly-good style will reap you most of the best rewards and will keep you from having to finesse things as you would with an evil or even neutral party.

The way their weapon specialization works allows room for error and doesn't require planning, unlike with fighters. But like with fighters they can get a large HP pool, benefits from all kind of defensive gear.

Bow wielding rangers are a great way to start BG1. And even though long bow options drop a bit in late SoA, they'll still be a very good class. Or dual wielding is great too, and the ranger can take advantage of a big variety of melee weapons.

Two-handed sword paladins of course do very well throughout the saga.
    If ranger, maybe archer is fine. But other than that, vanilla fighter is even better than vanilla ranger. Stalker is another story but not starter class.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited August 2021
    If ranger, maybe archer is fine. But other than that, vanilla fighter is even better than vanilla ranger. Stalker is another story but not starter class.

If you want to dabble with dual-wielding, rangers are a good starter character. You can just pick whatever weapons seem cool and not have to worry about 'best' weapons or what to grandmaster in for your first time around. Just make sure not to pick a two-handed weapon by accident (this means you Minsc!).

In the case of a new player, I disagree here. The problem with fighter is that it does require some more planning, because of the weapon specialization. Rangers give you the freedom to make a mistake or two on levelup and not have it feel costly.

Ranger also gives you a bit more versatility with your main character -- the stealth skill is enormously strong in the IE games. The light bit of casting adds a fun element to leveling up. Because of the ranger's increased versatility, they accommodate a wider cast of NPC companions, imo.

Obviously I concede that as a pure damage dealer fighter is better, but the class is really aided by foreknowledge of the games. A ranger can dual pip longbows and shortbows without much issue, and still have plenty of free pips for backup melee weapons. You can have two in both bows and your choice of melee by level six! Having a second melee weapon, for dual-wielding, by level 12. It'd take late BG2 (level 18) to have five pips for both longbow and shortbow, and that'd be sacrificing zero in melee weapons. Ranger archers will have this same issue of course.

Oh and just a last note, not on rangers, but the paladin's detect evil skill is actually something of an underrated ability for first time players.
    The fighter can just specialize weapons like ranger, so there is enough place for mistakes. Btw ranger is fancy, i understand :D
    (The stealth is overrated without backstab)
    Stealth for a first time player is not at all overrated, imo.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    The fighter can just specialize weapons like ranger, so there is enough place for mistakes. Btw ranger is fancy, i understand :D
    (The stealth is overrated without backstab)

Even without the extra-damage, I believe there is a passive 4 bonus to hit from stealth (or invisibility). Unlike thieves, who have other priorities for their skills the first few levels, rangers are totally devoted to stealth. That bonus means they won't miss as much as fighters would.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    For new players, ranger/cleric multi is probably the best choice. You're tanky, you don't lose your casting abilities in armor, you can heal the party, you have plenty of weapon pips, and you remain a powerhouse all the way through ToB.

For slightly experienced players, fighter/mage is easily the strongest choice for power, or fighter/mage/thief if you also want versatility.

No way would you want to be a singleclass warrior if you're looking for the most entertaining run-through. Singleclass rangers and fighters are too weak and one-dimensional to meaningfully contribute, and while inquisitors can meaningfully contribute, their dispel ability isn't needed in BG1 and is rendered redundant by Keldorn in BG2.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I wouldn't put anything magic reliant on a new player. There's a LOT of spells that do a lot of things, and that takes a bit of study to avoid "useless" picks.

@DinoDin Oh yeah, I abused the CRAP out of detect evil as a kid. I always knew what to expect from a map.

I'd definitely second Paladin as one of the best classes for a new player. I'd put ranger in a close second-ish place, if only due to being less tanky and having more mechanics to learn.
  • Phoenix_VIIPhoenix_VII Member Posts: 9
    For vanilla, I'd think Barbarian is the best for a new player. Rage give you immunity to so many nasty effects and the passive damage reduction is great for ToB. Berserker, Ranger/Cleric, Fighter/Cleric, Cavalier, and Undead Hunter are great too. Of course, if you do what I did and watch a youtube spell guide before starting, then it doesn't get better than a Gnome Fighter/Illusionist (aside from dualing a Level 9 Berserker to Mage anyways).
  • tl1942tl1942 Member Posts: 178
    edited September 2021
    Like you, I just got introduced to the games recently. I bought the EEs in 2018. Never played the originals, no nostalgia googles here.

After doing some research, my first ever playthrough was a half-elf Fighter/Mage. Possibly the strongest class in the game and it sure felt like it. I played heavily modded and with SCS and EET, and by late TOB, I truly felt like a god. I'd even go so far as to say the class is overpowered.

BUT, I really think it's the ideal class for a first time player, especially if you're planning on going through the entire saga from beginning to end (as you say in your post). Fighter/Mage gives you the best of both worlds; you get access to the saga's best weapons and best spells. With high strength and intelligence, you'll be solid. By the end of BG1, my protagonist was clearly more powerful than any of my companions; it stayed that way through SoD, SoA, and ToB. Fighter/Mage is simply a powerhouse.

FWIW, on my second playthrough I was a half-orc Fighter/Thief. Also a great choice. My lock-picking and find-traps were high enough that I never needed to take another thief, so it freed up a companion slot (usually for a magic-user). Backstab + invis potions = extremely powerful. For a new player, it's nice to *always* be able to open locks and pick-pocket (e.g. during times when you haven't met another thief yet). These games just have a HUGE amount of locked chests, wardrobes, crates, doors, etc and NPCs with goodies to be stolen; far more than any other game I've played in my life. And the "fighter" part means you're absolutely viable in raw combat all the way through the saga.

I think both options would be great for a new player planning to go all the way.

EDIT:
    Speaking of stealth, it's worth mentioning that you can also stealth if you play a Ranger (or Ranger sub-class). As someone else who's still pretty new to these games, I think stealth is extremely useful for a new player, even without backstab, because you won't know what enemies you'll be facing on a first playthrough and you don't even know what the area looks like or where the points of interest are. I think BG vets take this for granted because the first time they played was so long ago. Scouting ahead with, say, a stealthed ranger would be extremely useful. I'm not sure how detection by enemies works in the vanilla games (I've only ever played with SCS), but I suspect you'll almost never have to worry about being detected.
    Post edited by tl1942 on
    edited September 2021

Post edited by Danacm on
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    In bg2 use cloak of sewers rat form to have 90% physical resistance (and if works, use the defender of eastheaven offhand to have 100%) and if you are a magic user use fire shield or blade barrier with it and go to the crowd :)
    In the current version of the game, you can't use an off-hand weapon with any of the shapeshifts. If you want any benefit from the off-hand, your options are to leave it empty and use single-weapon style, or to put a shield there.

So, no off-hand DoE with your rat form. There are a couple other items with physical damage resistance; you can get missile damage immunity by pairing it with either the Orc Leather armor or the Belt of Inertial Barrier.
    For the melee damage types, your rat-based immunity options are:
    - Innate resistance from a level 10+ dwarven defender or a level 11+ barbarian
    - Armor of Faith divine spell, with caster level 6+
    - Hardiness HLA, available to any epic warrior or party-wide from a wish option.

Unfortunately, the rat form is very bad at offense. Its attacks deal 1d2 damage, with no stat bonuses. And you can't cast arcane or divine spells while in the form. Item abilities and pre-cast spells are about all that's left.
    The 127% fire resistant fighters or paladins are definetely fun, just run forward and bomb the warrior with fireballs. She heals from the fire damage and the enemies die quickly.
    Using the fire wand in bg1 and sod is easy mod: recharge and machine gun with it every enemy.
    Going all in on indiscriminate fire ... I've dedicated an entire run to that (Kill it With Fire, over in the playthroughs subforum). Two fire-immune front-liners in BG1 so I could throw fireballs at everything, and I eventually got the full party to fire immunity in BG2. Even late-game BG1 battles are easily broken by a volley of six simultaneous fireballs, and filling the battlefield with fire storms and incendiary clouds basically destroys anything that isn't immune to fire in BG2.
    Not really recommended for a first time, though. Reaching that point of party-wide fire immunity took considerable planning and foreknowledge.

One other thing to note for the fireball lover: the necklace of missiles is great, too. Cheaper and easier to recharge than a wand of fire, plus anybody (except a wizard slayer) can use it.
    tl1942 wrote: »
    FWIW, on my second playthrough I was a half-orc Fighter/Thief. Also a great choice.
    I'd go with a dwarf or halfling - the bonuses to saves and skills are better than the improved physical stats. But yes, a fighter/thief plays very well. I've run a lot of them, and my first runs to completion were dual-class versions.

Tactical flexibility is key for a fighter/thief. You can play archer with a ranged weapon, you can put on heavy armor and enter melee as a tank, or you can go with light armor and sneak around backstabbing. All on the same character, based on whatever's best for the battle at hand. Scout the enemies under stealth before you decide, of course.
    Oh, you say that heavy armor blocks the use of thieving skills? No problem. It's not like you need to disarm traps and open locks in combat, except on very rare occasions. You can always just take your armor off when the coast is clear to handle those things. And heavy armor doesn't impede trap detection.
  • SBlackSBlack Member Posts: 32
    Fighter/mage is pretty fun and flexible to play. You can buff yourself and go into melee. Or you can hang back and use a bow and more offensive spells.
    Overall it gives you experience with combat and you also have enough spell slots so you can try out different things.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    I agree that fighter/mage (and fighter/mage/thief) are the most fun to play and also the most powerful characters you can create. But for a new player who has no idea which mage spells are effective and little faith that their unarmored character will be a durable melee combatant, I still think ranger/cleric is a better choice as you can try out spells as you see fit and don't have issues with armor-wearing.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,024
    It is hard to remember so far back, but I recall that the first character I played in BG was a vanilla thief back in 2000, and the second was a vanilla fighter. In BG2 the first character definitely was a F/M in 2001, followed by a Monk and then a Druid and then many more thieves and fighters of various types. I played PnP back in the 80s, so I was very familiar with the rules, etc.

In hindsight, I would advise a first time player to play the class that interests them, no matter what it is, because they will be more invested and have the most fun. All classes will be a learning experience, bar none.

I would also suggest to avoid multis and duals and to instead keep it simple and learn the game. My kids took this approach and wanted to be thieves or warriors or priests or wizards. The race for them was just as important as the profession, i.e. dwarven warrior, elven wizard, Bilbo, etc. The rest was just noise and confusing complexity for them until they actually had played through the game and understood all of the nuances that we as experienced players now take for granted.