Skip to content

[REQ] Expanded Kangaxx and the "real" retired adventurers

MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
edited September 2021 in BGII:EE Mods
The more I have looked into my previous idea, the more I realize it would be a bear to implement and make work decently. However, a comment I recently posted gave me another idea - one that might not be as difficult or likely to induce compatibility headaches.

In BG1, the first real place you visit after Candlekeep is the Friendly Arm Inn, which looks an awful lot like a former keep. You later find out that's because it actually *was* a keep run by an undead cleric of Bhaal.

While we have no reason to suspect Kangaxx was, in any way, connected to Bhaal, wouldn't it make more sense if his base of operations *wasn't* in the basement of a disused house in the docks district? Further, we have no real explanation of the three guardians who try to keep him from being restored.

What about a mod that corrects that, and as an added bonus, provides a sensible path to restoring access to Watcher's Keep and the chapter 6 forest areas early? (with the possible exception of the Forest's of Tethir for compatibility reasons)

This idea would involve a single new area between Athkatla and Watcher's Keep along the coast. Instead of a typical inn, it would be a restored "ruin" that you would later learn was Kangaxx's lair. Like the Mirrorshades, the retired adventurers who run the place would talk about other adventures in the area - namely Watcher's Keep and the wild forests, but also, critically, Kangaxx. You would learn that there is still a part of the dungeon that is heavily warded, and that legend held that there were three liches who each held one of the wards.

Instead of the cheesy shop, the first dungeon area might look a bit more like a traditional basement - but otherwise still be filled with undead guardians (as in the original quest). Ideally, since Kangaxx is a mage, this would be a library like the one in the original ID - lots of bookshelves and maybe a workbench or two. I could possible see a cut down version of that exact library with the doors replaced being used here.

The under basement would literally be the original Kangaxx tomb - only the entrance is relocated. This reduces it to a single new outdoor area, a possibly recycled indoor area (to replace the Athkatlan shop), and only impacts access to three or four areas that generally aren't messed with anyway.

A simple book could be added that would give some backstory as to why there are three undead guardians in a nearby city.

Otherwise, like the FAI, this inn would also act as a minor shop and source of rumors about nearby adventuring opportunities, as well as provide a place to rest between WK and Athkatla. This would also be a great place to discuss Innershade, which would be "in the neighborhood".

Oh, and this also might allow for a hint regarding the sword at the crooked Crane. If anyone might know about it, it would be these former adventurers - which would nicely tie together a lot of the liches in Athkatla.

Comments

• MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    As an aside, the whole ward thing could be skipped in favor of a hidden door. That would allow you to talk with Kangaxx first, as in the original quest. Though how a couple of experienced adventurers missed something like that would be harder to explain.

Perhaps part of the inn is still a ruin, and only the residential areas were restored? This would provide a reasonable explanation for why the new owners didn't know about the hidden entrance.
  • shevy123456shevy123456 Member Posts: 179
    edited February 5
    Kangaxx should probably have gotten his own dungeon. To me it
    seems as if these were after-design thoughts and they seem to
    had to hurry to finish the game. See the "unfinished business"
    mod which restores some things. Perhaps computers were too
    weak for huge maps and evidently you did not have infinite
    resources.

> Perhaps part of the inn is still a ruin, and only the residential areas
    > were restored? This would provide a reasonable explanation for
    > why the new owners didn't know about the hidden entrance.

The "lich behind a secret door" is a tiny bit contrived in general
    in particular the one in the gates district. Kangaxx has his mini
    tomb, but I feel it could have been a larger area with more things
    to do. Final fight is quite easy for me these days even on vanilla,
    you can get the sword from the lich in the gates district easily,
    and then send in Korgan to deal with the demi-lich form. Even
    a fairly young Korgan managed to kill Kangaxx. That way I get
    the ring early on. (Not sure which level is possible; I think it
    may be even easier with scrolls protecting against undead,
    but I found berserk cheapest and easiest. A bit of luck is
    involved, sometimes Korgan manages to score hits, sometimes
    he does not then berserk runs out of time.)

I think it may have been better to add some secret underground
    area to the Amn starting city or whatever was the name, not
    just in the Temple area but otherwise. And an explanation
    how some of it collapsed ages ago. That would have been
    better IMO than putting a lich behind every second pub. :P
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    I don't think that they were afterthoughts; they were really easter eggs. I'm not certain but I think at least one of those wasn't mentioned in the strategy guide (for those who don't remember, back in the 90s there were essentially walkthroughs published in magazine type format for video games)
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356
    I don't think that they were afterthoughts; they were really easter eggs. I'm not certain but I think at least one of those wasn't mentioned in the strategy guide (for those who don't remember, back in the 90s there were essentially walkthroughs published in magazine type format for video games)

I have played since BG2 was released and had one of those books - actually the top selling one.

The walktrough did miss a thing or two. Most notably the limited wish quest with the gong. The guide opted to murder captain Dennis for the nifty dagger - missing out on the most epic quest in the series. So the easter egg theory seems very viable.