Skip to content

May play again, shaman or druid

Ok after a while of being away from anything bg/iwd related (and not really buying any new games in a wild) I been feeling like returning to either bg trilogy or trying play iwd again.

Only problem, I can't really decide kid I should play the shaman or the druid p
Class.

So for those who don't know or remember me... I'm a class purist, I don't dual and I don't multi class. I play classes pure or with kits unless the game forces a character dual/class on me.

*Glares at imoen*
I will never use you as a mage, idc who voted for this bull-ish!!!

But one thing I could never decide between is whether to go shaman or druid.

Shaman has infinite summons which can be fun to use, especially if you have the mod that lets the player walk very slowly while dancing. But even then the summons have no actual control not follow the player until they reach the edge of the player site requiring the to move closer within the edge. It makes trying to make them the focus kid of hard unless one scouts first.

The druid has two kits that interest me, shape shifter which sadly is weaker than the actually werewolves we fight. In the games and totem which gives us controllable summons, but a finite number of them and maybe it's just because the shamans are infinite, but they don't seem as strong as the shamans.

Also the druid can switch out spells while the shaman cannot. Which cuts into my ability to play with spell, I'm not a powergamer trying to god mod, but I do like to stay in character with spells that match my characters theme.

I also tend to keep parties between. 2-4, I don't do full 6 man teams and like to roleplay my characters when possible...

So shaman or druid? Which would be better and which would be more fun.

Comments

• YigorYigor Member Posts: 536
    edited September 2021
    Play both shaman and druid in IWD since U create the whole party yourself. ?

I played and exported a Totemic Druid of lvl 30 in IWD. ?
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    edited September 2021
    I haven't played with Totemic Druid much, but the fact that as a Shaman you not only can't control your summons, you also can't control what you summon, when you get your summon or have your character do anything while the summons are out are just massive hinderances. If summons are the deciding factor, I'd go with Totemic Druid in a landslide.

Otherwise, I think it's a wash. There's notoriously not a ton of great Druid spells, so the limited selection of the Shaman isn't that bad compared to the Sorcerer. But on the other hand, when you reach a new spell level, you'll only get access to one spell of that level plus the bonus Shaman ones, so there is a short and medium term cost that just looking at the whole spell table wouldn't tell you. That's probably the most painful at level 10, when you could go with any of Insect Plague, Iron Skins, Chaotic Commands or Pixie Dust, but you only get one of those. So I think you could definitely go either way depending on what you want.

Last piece of advice: once your character unlocks level 7 spells, Nature's Beauty is your win condition. It has no saving throw, the blindness is permanent, and few things are immune to it. It automatically defeats Irenicus and any other foe who lacks magic resistance, and when comboed with a mage using Lower Resistance/Pierce Magic, even foes with magic resistance like the Ravager fold under the pressure like lawnchairs.

I also posted my thoughts while doing a Shaman run in the Did You Know? thread, so if you go to page 132, you can get a few more thoughts I've had about their strengths and weaknesses.
    Post edited by Abi_Dalzim on
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @Abi_Dalzim
    Thanks for the reply, I had done a few quick runs with shaman in the past didn't get far probably only around level 5 or 6.

The summons to this day I've always been indecisive on and maybe that's just because I never had a full run with either druid or shaman from sword coast to throne of bhal like I have with mage and sorcerer. So my thoughts there are a bit skewed. After I got the slow walking mod, I did find the shaman dance psuedo fun, as imoen was basically the puller and they were the tanks, especially the snakes since their poison just seemed to be gg for most normal enemies. Only time I really was annoyed was when I came across someone who opened the battle with some kind of hard cc, or the ai wouldn't switch over to the snake/wolf/bear currently attacking them.

As far as totem summons go I think I only utilized them a handful of times in sword coast so I'd say they are only half the reason why.