Skip to content

Priority Bug Crash on game start

TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
Based on your reporting and feedback we have identified a few issues.
The crash on Game start appears to be one of three major bugs:

1) On Windows XP, a missing the Visual Studio 2008 redistributable. This is causing crashes. We are statically linking the required bits (technical term, I know) in an upcoming hotfix.

Symptoms: You click start in the launcher on a Windows XP system and it fails to launch.
To verify you have this problem:
If you go into the directory where Baldur's gate is installed and click the Baldur.exe directly it will display an "invalid configuration" error.

Solution: wait for the hot fix or if you want it fixed immediately, download the redistributable here:
http://www.beamdog.com/files/prerequisites/vcredist_x86_2008.exe

2) Game crashes either on startup or following character creation on an non-ascii character set (potentially anything other than us english)
Symptoms: (as above) a crash either at startup or following and attempt by the game to save data. Could also be an inability to save games and to save settings.

Problem: Non ASCII characters somewhere in the file path. If you've installed the launcher under my programs on some languages machines or any directory using non-ASCII characters the game is unable to access those files.

Solution: Upcoming hotfix. There are rumours of a work-around and if someone has one which works consistently, I'd like you to post it below.

3) Intel graphics Open GL support - We are still gathering all the information around this family of bugs. It appears to affect certain lines of Intel graphics and the symptoms and solutions are different for different hardware.

Suggestions: Nathan has covered this very well here:
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7385/important-regarding-intel-hardware-driver-issues-slow-game-performance/p1

Comments

• MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    For possible workarounds regarding 3) Intel graphics Open GL support, see the Master technical FAQ.
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    For all it's worth (I am running XP on a laptop with the 4000 series Intel chipset), while I have never got the system crash at game launch, I experience other bug/crashes. The most annoying is that when I want to exit the game, it freezes and killing the Baldur.exe causes a system crash - this happens each time. In game play, if I switch (using Alt+tab for instance) to another application, I get the same freeze and a system crash. I've also had the game freeze (and system crash) when travelling from one area to another on the map (although occurrence of this happening does not seem to be too high).

And then there are screen flickering issues which are very annoying - this typically happens when equipping a leather armor (...) and/or a helmet. Lag in combat is still there, but playable so far. Have not yet tested graphic-intense combat with a lot of spell effects but I suspect things will then get much worse.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Not even one method mentioned here or in Master technical FAQ could help me. Game is still unplayable (or rather unlaunchable). I do, however, send informations regarding problem with launching the game to the technical support.

I wonder when will freaking patch come out. Releasing the game in that state is just compromitation.
  • ksSilkstepperksSilkstepper Member Posts: 7
    @TrentOster, the Visual Studio 2008 redistributable was exactly what was wrong with my laptop! Extremely happy with the results. It was still running slowly, but with a driver update I have the game churning along at an acceptable rate :) Couldn't be happier! There are a lot of people giving you guys flack out there right now, but it's undeserved.
  • kverdonkverdon Member Posts: 27
    What about the ntdll.dll error that numerous people are reporting on WIndows 7 64 bit? None of these solutions appear to work for that.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    For bug 2, wouldn't installing the game in say, C:\BGEE work? As long as they make sure they use ascii chars?
  • FunkballsFunkballs Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    EDIT: The Hotfix fixed my problem! Thanks devs :D

I also have this problem.

On launch it says: "There was a problem with Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition"

When launching directly from baldur.exe it does nothing and the process dies after a few seconds.

Repairing the install from the launcher runs a file check and does nothing implying the files are valid.

No baldur.ini file is created in documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition

Error Log says:
    Faulting application name: baldur.exe, version: 0.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x50b66b64
    Faulting module name: atioglxx.dll, version: 6.14.10.11653, time stamp: 0x4ff3e437
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00d84900
    Faulting process id: 0x1540
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cdcf20466765c5
    Faulting application path: C:\Games\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\baldur.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\atioglxx.dll

ATI Radeon Mobility 4670
    Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8GHZ
    4GB Ram
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

I have the latest ATI Drivers for the 4670 downloaded from their site
    Driver Package 8.97.100.3-120703a-145534C-ATI
    OpenAL is installed and working correctly
    Visual Studio Redistributable 2008 is installed and working correctly
    I've also tried reinstalling and launching from a simple location (c:\bgee\)
    I only have one graphics card and no intel gpu to cause problems.
    I've tried everything in the
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8405/read-before-posting-master-technical-faq#latest thread to no avail.
    Post edited by Funkballs on
  • KildrekKildrek Member Posts: 1
    Not even kidding, I followed the suggestions from some people because I'm on windows 8...I reinstalled AMD drivers because my computer says I had the drivers, but there were no AMD files anywhere.

After reinstalling, no more "stopped working" error when starting a new game after dialog. It looks like the update from windows 7 to 8 caused some issues with the drivers
  • SillkungenSillkungen Member Posts: 2
    Installed the game on c:\BaldursGate, still crashes, can't wait for the hotfix
  • CorsymyrCorsymyr Member Posts: 146
    edited November 2012
    There are more than just the 3 listed.

1. Running Windows 7 x64 - I did the install you have listed just in case.
    2. Have installed the game from Stand Alone and BeamDog and both installs were to the root of C:\
    3. Have confirmed that my PC runs OpenGL 2.0 fine. No Intel Graphics.

The Baldur.exe fails on module Baldur.exe is the error in the Application Log.

Ticket #729 issued about 48 hours ago. No help there.

All details in previous post here and updated in the ticket.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8198/baldur-exe-crashes-module-baldur-exe-click-no-play-again#latest

I have tried all the Compatibility modes as well.

I have performed all the recommendations listed on this site as well.

http://www.beamdog.com/support/766?error=-1073741676&lang=en

I would love to be able to get the game to open.
    Post edited by Corsymyr on
  • MorcarMorcar Member Posts: 3
    Same problem on Windows 8 x64. Game Crash after character creation.
    Exception code: 0xc0000005

Please Help.
  • AikimoxAikimox Member Posts: 8
    Try changing compatibility to WIn98/Me. It may not be the best solution on the long run but should at least let you play the game till the hotfixes are out.
  • UgtheBarbarianUgtheBarbarian Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    Corsymyr said:

There are more than just the 3 listed.

1. Running Windows 7 x64 - I did the install you have listed just in case.
    2. Have installed the game from Stand Alone and BeamDog and both installs were to the root of C:\
    3. Have confirmed that my PC runs OpenGL 2.0 fine. No Intel Graphics.

The Baldur.exe fails on module Baldur.exe is the error in the Application Log.

Ticket #729 issued about 48 hours ago. No help there.

All details in previous post here and updated in the ticket.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8198/baldur-exe-crashes-module-baldur-exe-click-no-play-again#latest

I have tried all the Compatibility modes as well.

I have performed all the recommendations listed on this site as well.

http://www.beamdog.com/support/766?error=-1073741676&lang=en

I would love to be able to get the game to open.

Same for me - ticket #1200 logged - just got the repeat suggestion of trying to turn off Intel graphics which aren't there
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    Our feedback has been the crash after character creation is almost always related to out of date graphics drivers.
    We are working on a new build which fixes a number of issues and where we can retrieve better information on a crash. This will aid us in getting to the root causes of the issues.

-Trent
  • CorsymyrCorsymyr Member Posts: 146
    @TrentOster - any help forthcoming for those of us who cannot even open the application?
  • AlesthesAlesthes Member Posts: 46
    What about the atioglxx.dll crash at start? It was reported by lots of people, and why it may appear to be related to some ATI/OpenGL drivers, most of the time re-installing or updating the GPU drivers changes nothing.

Oddly enough, I am able to launch the game only if keeping open iTunes at the same time (I know, I know, that's weird and nonsensical, but that's how it is for me and many other players who reported this very odd workaround on the forums on these forums...).
  • Mr_PaulMr_Paul Member Posts: 1
    Would making a copy of Baldur.ini available help? like a lot of the guys on this forum my games fails to launch, and while the folder is there in the user\documents it's empty with no Baldur.ini to be seen. Repairing and reinstalling have not changed this, it always creates an empty folder. It seems reasonable to assume this is why it doesn't launch, so maybe a replacement would fix the issue. I'm running windows 7.
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    We are getting close on the hotfix. Alex and I completed smoke tests and a critical path run on the patch. Just a few more minro fixes and it should cure a number of the issues people are seeing.

The game creates the baldur.ini when it starts. A missing file just makes the game re-create it. This isn't the problem.

-Trent
  • TrappistTrappist Member Posts: 14
    edited December 2012
    @Trentoster Hi Trent, just a note to say i just applied your patch but unfortunately I still cant get the game to start. Im using windows 7.

Was that patch intended to address the gae wont start issue or was it fixing oher stuff?

thanks.
  • AlesthesAlesthes Member Posts: 46
    Hi. The hotfix solved for me (and thus I hope for all the atioglxx.dll-error angry bunch...). Good job! :)
  • greg23greg23 Member Posts: 4
    When can i find the hotfix?
  • JoeWalkerJoeWalker Member Posts: 75
    How do I access the hotfix?
  • TrappistTrappist Member Posts: 14
    patch runs from the launcher
  • JoeWalkerJoeWalker Member Posts: 75
    Thanks Trappist
  • flo81flo81 Member Posts: 3
    i got the same problem and the hotfix didn't solve it for me.

hp laptop with windows 7, ati graphics card, latest drivers installed
  • SillkungenSillkungen Member Posts: 2
    Aikimox said:

Try changing compatibility to WIn98/Me. It may not be the best solution on the long run but should at least let you play the game till the hotfixes are out.

Wohoo! This actually fixed it for me, thanks mate! Off to find that possessed chicken!

• HenrikHHenrikH Member Posts: 8
    Updated my bugreport on the Win7-thing (#1427) with a crash-log.
  • callimachuscallimachus Member Posts: 86
    so, is there or isn't there a hotfix?
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297

so, is there or isn't there a hotfix?

Start the BGEE launcher and automatic update will commence.
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    First the loading of the update caused a crash in the direct install. After that crash we can't even get there, we see only Please wait... since 20 minutes.
This discussion has been closed.