Skip to content

Priority Bug Crash on game start

Comments

• Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    It worked perfectly yesterday, but now we can't get through the "Please wait..." section.
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    The new downloader is added before the crash. I think it is causing the game not to load. It is Windows XP, The Error message is: "...Launcher has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry..."
    Could you help me how to remove the new launcher and use the older one? How to download the patch manuall, Pls. I dedicated this day with my wife to play.
  • JoeWalkerJoeWalker Member Posts: 75
    I downloaded the new patch via Beamdog and it did nothing. The game and videos still lag very badly. More so when there is magic/water.

I'm using: Acer Aspire 7741Z (Win7)
    Intel Pentium P6200 (2.13GHz, 3MB L3 cache)
    Intel HD Graphics
    3GB DDR3 Memory
    500 GB HDD

Any suggestions?
  • HenrikHHenrikH Member Posts: 8
    callimachus: The hotfix just didn't fix things for me - but at least it now makes a crash-log for support ;-)

*Is very close to just playing his fully modded BG2 to satisfy cravings soon*
  • LayonLayon Member Posts: 16
    my game still crashing
  • TrappistTrappist Member Posts: 14
    For benefit of any win7 users who still cant get the game to start. I fixed my issue by setting the game to run in compatability mode windows XP service pack 3.

Big thanks to @Kverdon forbring this work around to my attention.
  • Graf_WasiliGraf_Wasili Member Posts: 60
    edited December 2012
    Still crashing when launching engine (start/play)

win xp sp3
    geforce 9600M GS - no hybrid use with intel chipset

tried all supposed solutions starting game with beamdog, bglauncher and baldur.exe
    ---

EDIT: Ok, it actually works. Started the tutorial for testing everytime, now i realized the problem only occurs there =/ Sorry for bothering... Overhaul gets another chance to win my sympathy =P
    Post edited by Graf_Wasili on
  • jttm80jttm80 Member Posts: 3
    Still crashing after patch. Have also tried all the recommended compatibility fixes and driver updates.
    Running (i7, nvidia GTX480 and Win7 x64)
  • dwassllirdwassllir Member Posts: 3
    Hotfix didn't correct mine either. Press play and I get the windows loading icon then nothing. check taskmgr and the process is there in zombie mode. I sent them a dxdiag file and a dump file. hopefully we can get to play this game soon!
  • dwassllirdwassllir Member Posts: 3
    HenrikH, I'm thinking the same thing. BG2 patched and widescreen mod FTW! Give these guys some time to fix their game and me to get my craving.
  • elfuegoelfuego Member Posts: 28
    Still crashes here, even after the patch and all proposed solutions. I still get no baldur.ini, but I noticed "crash" folder in my documents\bgee with two completely empty (0 bytes) .dmp files.
    dump0000.dmp and dump0001.dmp.

Devs, how about writing some output in those dumps please? At least a 'hello world', or a joke of the day to cut short the waiting time till you get things straight? :)
  • HenrikHHenrikH Member Posts: 8
    elfuego: That sounds odd - my crash-dumps are around 5 MB each?
    @henrikh
    mine are completely empty :( Man, not even crash logging works on my computer :((
    OMG. After reading this http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/166970 I loaded up my linux and tried the game within it... IT WORKS! Bloody hell, it works in Linux and it doesnt work in Windows 7. Now... Lets see how it looks like... ^_^
  • TrepideTrepide Member Posts: 5
    Just as anyone else, I've a Win7 64 PC and after clicking on "play" nothing happened. Tried the VC++ hotfix and any compatibility modes, do nothing.
    For the moment I'm really desappointed...
  • LongLankinLongLankin Member Posts: 9
    I am also on windows 7 64bit. Initially my game ran, and I was able to do the fighters tutorial. My son clicked on the main game and it crashed and has not worked since. I have tried all the workarounds described, and uninstalled/reinstalled twice (which took several hours). to no avail. I click on the bge shortcut, the windows activity icon runs for a few seconds, then nothing. In task manager I find BGEE.exe using 60,252K of memory and Baldur.exe *32 using 4740K of memory.

I am also on windows 7 64bit. I click on the bge shortcut, the windows activity icon runs for a few seconds, then nothing. In task manager I find BGEE.exe using 60,252K of memory and Baldur.exe *32 using 4740K of memory.

Exactly the same here...
  • karrickkarrick Member Posts: 40
    Trepide said:

I am also on windows 7 64bit. I click on the bge shortcut, the windows activity icon runs for a few seconds, then nothing. In task manager I find BGEE.exe using 60,252K of memory and Baldur.exe *32 using 4740K of memory.

Exactly the same here...
    Same here. COME ON GUYS?! Surely you tested this stuff? RIGHT?

• SinisterChrisPSinisterChrisP Member Posts: 4
    Mine was working for a day, now back to square one again. Tried to replicate everything I did to 'fix' it but to no avail. This is so frustrating.
    I can warmly advise everyone who cannot make the game start to install Ubuntu and add complete Wine package. The game works beautifully.
    And how can i install Wine from scratch on a Win7 PC?
  • ibitatoibitato Member Posts: 64
    Trepide said:

http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOnWindows
    ibitato said:

Trepide said:

Thx. It's far too complicated for my computer skills. So I have to wait...
  • ibitatoibitato Member Posts: 64
    Trepide said:

ibitato said:

Trepide said:

Thx. It's far too complicated for my computer skills. So I have to wait...
    wine is used mainly on Linux
    Wine in windows makes no sense but a hack for fun
    If you want to play over wine, you need to install a linux box
  • QuaestorQuaestor Member Posts: 22
    @ibitato

Right - running "not-an-emulator" in an emulator environment on the native system which doesn't really support the game. Yes, that sounds like a brilliant work-around for performance issues. Thanks a bunch.
  • silentazuresilentazure Member Posts: 1

I am also on windows 7 64bit. Initially my game ran, and I was able to do the fighters tutorial. My son clicked on the main game and it crashed and has not worked since. I have tried all the workarounds described, and uninstalled/reinstalled twice (which took several hours). to no avail. I click on the bge shortcut, the windows activity icon runs for a few seconds, then nothing. In task manager I find BGEE.exe using 60,252K of memory and Baldur.exe *32 using 4740K of memory.

Exactly the same problem that I am having.
  • JoeWalkerJoeWalker Member Posts: 75
    When we get a crash report where do we send it and what else do they require?
    JoeWalker said:

When we get a crash report where do we send it and what else do they require?

Same question here. There doesn't appear to be any way of attaching a report on these forums.

• ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    @JoeWalker @LongLankin please zip the file and send it to beamdmp@gmail.com. More details here http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/9223/game-patch-1-0-2008-update-crash-reports/p1 .
    Thank you
This discussion has been closed.