Skip to content

kill the XP cap

so, i'm playing through BGEE solo, and closing up on the 161000 exp cap.
anyone know how to disable it?

Comments

• LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
    The exp is capped for a reason. Everything becomes completely unbalanced when you remove the cap... I will never understand why people want to do this..
  • serialiesserialies Member Posts: 45
    Cause different things are fun for different people.

Ever play GTA with cheats? nothing like spawning a tank and wrecking the city.
    I think most people have already done a legit playthrough anyway.
    also, TY Zanma, just what i wanted :D
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Linkamus said:

The exp is capped for a reason. Everything becomes completely unbalanced when you remove the cap... I will never understand why people want to do this..

If you're soloing the extra XP makes up for not having 5 other party members, so I don't see how it's that unbalanced.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I've uploaded the necessary files to remove the cap. Just place the files in you BGEE install folder/data/0766/override.

http://dc353.4shared.com/download/ELKeZtFp/override.zip
  • DisplacerDisplacer Member Posts: 13
    Have to have an account to download? No thanks
    @Displacer As far as I know you don't need an account to download.
    Odd, only download button I see says you have to register or log in
    @Displacer Just tested... you're right... I'll provide an optional download... just give me some moments...
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    Yeah, I see the login screen too. You can probably attach the file to your post if it's a zip.
    Thanks. I'd edit the files myself but why reinvent the wheel :) Oh and thanks for doing it
    @Coriander it is, but I see no attach option.
  • DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    Wow.

A game that took me 100+ hours to finish originally, and someone hits the XP cap in one damn day?!

Thats just sacrelige man! I bet you down beer in one go too? There are some things in this life that should take time to finish, to be enjoyed to their fullest. . . .

Or am I just gettin old? :)
    edited November 2012
    @DecrepitDragon I'm not even close to the cap, but I know I'll hit it before I finish Durlag's tower :)
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    The XP cap is strange in EE, 160k for a thief, 250k for a mage and 500k for a fighter...
  • DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    @mlnevese - Ah, I see. Well that gives me a little more faith in gamers today then. How sick was I, talking to buddies about their 7 hour CoD run throughs and hearing how they'd already sold the game to a store for a tenth of what its worth just to start saving for the next regurgitation . . . .

Sorry, nearly went "Grumpy old Git" on you there.

Ah for the good old days of the "Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail" text adventure . . . :)
  • junk11junk11 Member Posts: 117
    Kerozevok said:

The XP cap is strange in EE, 160k for a thief, 250k for a mage and 500k for a fighter...

BGEE only let players reach as high as lvl 10 for single class (except Druid which can go up to 11),
    and since each class has different xp requirement, they set the xp cap differently.
    but then you have different xp cap on the game itself as well as different campaigns.
  • szdobosszdobos Member Posts: 36
    Kerozevok said:

Really?? Not 161k for every one?

@szdobos
    it is 161k for BG campaign.
    But for the game itself, its not. He is talking about the class cap.
    there are 3 xpcap files govern for the game.
    class cap, BG campaign cap and Black pit cap. (XPCAP.2da, STARTARE.2da, STARTBP.2da)
    those file interact with each other, the class reaches the its max xp with the lowest possible cap value.
    and with those two campaign cap file, you will need to change the START_XP_CAP value
  • forgotten_wolfforgotten_wolf Member Posts: 28
    where do you find these files? i want to try editing them
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    @szdobos Really, i've the file under my eyes.

@junk11 Ok.. But it's strange choice...

160k is too short, BG1+ Tosc = 240k without cheat.
    @forgotten_wolf
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1721/simple-xp-cap-mod-question/p2
    some1 already upload the xp -1 version,
    you can simply edit those if you dont like and put those into override

anyway, if you use near infinity, its in the 2da section.
  • szdobosszdobos Member Posts: 36
    junk11 said:

@szdobos
    it is 161k for BG campaign.
    But for the game itself, its not. He is talking about the class cap.
    there are 3 xpcap files govern for the game.
    class cap, BG campaign cap and Black pit cap. (XPCAP.2da, STARTARE.2da, STARTBP.2da)
    those file interact with each other, the class reaches the its max xp with the lowest possible cap value.
    and with those two campaign cap file, you will need to change the START_XP_CAP value

Ok, so: i would like to start with cleric, reach 7lev, than dual to mage, and reach 8level. The overall xp is 160k. In this case, can I have more xp?? Thanks!
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    Is it possible to edit the cap to about 240k? I think that's enough to be an extra level to most classes, but not so much that the balance is severely affected.
    @Tome It's easy to do. Download the files from my link a few posts above and change the -1 to 240k.