Skip to content

Modding Tutorials For Really Dumb People?

ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
I'm playing with the idea of making a new kit, but the only tutorials I can find assume I know what 2das, and clabs are. Its all greek to me. Is there an entry level tutorial out there somewhere that I'm just missing?

Comments

• ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    edited October 2021
    Have you tried the videos for mod creation that @elminster made? I don't know how much knowledge they take for granted, as I have only skimmed through, but it can't hurt to give it a look.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Arvia That looks exactly like what I'm looking for. Thank you.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2021
    I don't have a kit video out. School has prevented me from finishing it (although the script for the video is done). Unfortunately, it's a technically complicated video because kits have a lot of different moving parts that need to be explained (2DA files, spell files, etc).

They are one of those things that are not difficult to do but a lot of work to walk people through it in a way that covers everything I want to cover.

So it probably won't be until December when it is out. The script is around 4700 words and my aim is for around a 1/2 hr video.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2021
    But the videos I posted do explain at least what a 2DA file is (at least the latest one does).

A clab file is just a 2DA file that determines when you get kit specific spells and abilities at different character levels with the kit. The abilities are just spell files.

So you have passive abilities, in other words abilities that are always active. Think like the bonus Kensai or Archers get to weapons. These start with AP_

You’ve also got activatable abilities, which start with GA_. In the druids case, think the shapeshift abilities you get at level 7.

But it can also be spells they get access to (like Avenger druids)

lki2xrti5mzx.png

The clab files all have names that have the partial name of the class in them. Like this one here (CLABFI04) is for Kensai's. The "FI" obviously stands for fighter.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @elminster Yeah, I've been going over that file type video. This kind of stuff doesn't really click with me, so it takes multiple viewings (and probably some refreshers later) to get this stuff straight. I really appreciate these tutorials.