Skip to content

Baldur's Gate: Apple starts to abandon support for Intel CPU, a Patch for M1 processors is needed

Rosetta2 emulation will be abandoned quickly as occurring in the past for PowerPC or MC68K.
It would be a pity to have to lose Baldur's Gate. I tried the iOS version on M1 but this is a real disaster, nothing works, it could be more simply to patch the current BGEE I and II.
It would be a good and wise thing to make a patch for support to M1 for the various Baldur's Gate as it was done for NWN.
Don't abandon us ...

Comments

• GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
    I second this concern...
  • Alessandro1970Alessandro1970 Member Posts: 10
    I downloaded the IOS version from Apple Store, but the iPad version does not work under MBP M1:
    1) it hangs everityme openin the finder menu
    2) cheat mode cannot be used (no lua file to be edited)
    3) game screen/resolution is too small for MBP 13" or above
    4) Better the GOG o Steam revision (one game launcher for BGate EE + DLC), Apple Store version has an orrible file system/purchase.

The only good thing to be done is compile a 2.7 revision like Universal Code App for Mac so it can be run on Intel or arm M1 CPU...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Hi there! The 2.6 version for iOS is still in the works.
    ...but they would know that M1 MACs have the keyboard and a hard disk... so the same PC options (folder accessibility, .lua file editable and screen resolution have to be implemented !)
    this because the iOS version can be run on new Macintosh M1 cpu and the iOS version should work like the PC version or Mac Intel version and not like the Pad/Iphone version...(orrible)
  • coldnpalecoldnpale Member Posts: 1
    Please make a true m1 compatible update so that we will not have to rely on iOS version!
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    As a user, investing in a platform that switches architecture every now and then involves risk ... it's part of the deal. Its a common criticism towards windows to keep things in for ages, being bloated, etc. etc. – but it makes things compatible for ages. Apple is praised for keeping things lean – but it makes things incompatible fast.

I guess it's not financially promising to do the port in 2021 for a game released 2012 ...
    Being Beamdog, i'd consider a native M1 port only if
    – it's easy (having an ARM port for iphone/ipad might make it possible ... but the IE engine is a beast)
    – it raises reputation to be reliable (as a future investment)