Skip to content

Is This Really Worth It?

I want the opinion of gamers , i dont trust magazines and sites reviews much , more less after the reviews about ME3 and Dragon age 2 , but thats another topic , so ...

Im a big Baldur's Gate fan , i still have the original games , box and all , and im thinking if i should buy the enhancement edition or not ! I know $20 its not much , but keep in mind , in my country 1 dólar = 2 of my country money , so this game cost $40 here and all the bugs i see people talking about here i really dont know if i should spend my little money on these game.

I love games , but i have bills to pay , so i cant buy lots of games , each game i buy i have to make it count .

So what you guys think ? I know the game is great , Baldur's Gate series is my top 1 of all times , but this EE is really worth it ?

Ps: Sorry for my English

Comments

• LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
    So far it's totally worth it. The additions are awesome. There ARE some bugs, but I have faith they will be fixed in time.
  • wissenschaftwissenschaft Member Posts: 229
    edited November 2012
    It depends. If you wish to help with bug hunting get it now. On the other hand, if you want a bug free experience and will rage if you don't get one then it might be better to wait a few months. By then the bugs in EE should be ironed out.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    If you don't have the money flowing from your pockets, I'd suggest you wait a little. It is possible that the game gets a little discount, say, for Christmas. Even if not, the game will hopefully get some polish in the weeks to come, and you'll have a more enjoyable experience if you hold off on buying. I guess it's always better to not go first, but to let a week or two pass and then judge the game after all the usual release troubles. Of course, this only works when you're not an impatient die-hard fan as so many here are ;)
  • IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    edited November 2012
    If you want to enjoy the Game bigger in high resolutions with a zoom function - but without being in HD... Some new companians, and an Arena Mode which is not connected to the Mainstory... Yes.

If you do not have a intel chipset Graphic.. Because this proves to be a horrible game stopper... yes

If you are able to overlook some "minor" graphic glitches like not 1080P optimized icons or some Text Shadow Problems in Books - Yes

Of course the chance exists, that one or more points can/will be fixed in a future Patch by the Devs, if that small stuff is also in their priority list, or if they will skipp this, we will see sooner or later.

Now you decide :)

• MikePXPMikePXP Member Posts: 54
    I want to say yes to support the devs here but honestly, I wouldn't bother, at least not yet anyway. In my opinion Baldur's Gate with the TUTU mod is better right now. I don't regret buying this but I have been disappointed by a few things so far. Between the devs and modders all those things will be fixed and then it will be well worth it but not right now if you are tight on money.
  • GwynnbleidGwynnbleid Member Posts: 17
    Thank for the help guys , i think im gonna wait to see how they deal with the problems , yes its really hard to wait , but better safe than sorry.

Thanks very much.
  • TroikaTroika Member Posts: 36
    It's not worth 20 Dollars at the current state. There are too many bugs, graphical issues, etc. to really justify the name "enhanced edition". Aside from those issues, many of the enhancements are controversial among BG Fans.
  • RavenXRavenX Member Posts: 86
    For 20 bucks, I would say yes. I'm running a GeForce GPU and haven't had any graphical errors, but if you have the aforementioned card that's having problems then you *might* want to wait. The only minor issues I'm having is with some of the control scheme. You can use the scroll wheel to scroll through a vendor inventory but when you mouse over your own you can't scroll with the mouse wheel (during shopping). Aside from a few minor things like that though I'm having a blast.

Like you I can't afford many games either. The re-playability factor of BG is immense as you probably know. If you can spare the 20$ and don't have one of the GFX cards the game isn't working with atm, I'd say go for it.
  • IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    edited November 2012
    just wait at least for a patch release. So you can see what points are priority for the devs. Perhaps i should have done the same, it is true, 20 Dollars are not that much, but on the other side, having a game at which you do not feel perfectly "at home" can be way too much frustrating.

If they really care, they also do take care of that minor stuff... If not, well, then they are just behind to get the EE to work for all the ones who have technical problems and that's it. Time will tell.

No Offense, but it was so far really a kind of "Let's build the skeleton.. the skin and the organs do come later.. perhaps" attitude ;)
  • Corvus_MetusCorvus_Metus Member Posts: 19
    It all depends on your mindset.

All in all, the game is basically Baldur's Gate Tutu, pre-patched and packaged with a few aesthetic changes you may or may not like. In my opinion, it runs a little smoother than a modded game too - but it should be noted I only use Tutu, Unfinished Business, and SCS so my mod experience is rather light.

On the other hand, support of this game (and its EE sequel coming out next year) brings Beamdog money - money can lean to Baldur's Gate III or even a new IP in the vein of old-school games; it all depends if you're big picture or small picture. In the small picture of things, if you have a small budget for entertainment that you have to spread among other interests it might not be "worth it" - if you're big picture and hope support will lead to good things down the road it is.
  • KhrondorKhrondor Member Posts: 54
    IMO buy it, the game is definitely worth the cost they are asking. Also I feel this is a downpayment for the next game.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    If I were you, I would go for wait and see. Based on previous experience, I know that new games always come with bugs when launched. This is why I am waiting right now. I want to have a smooth experience playing the game instead of getting frustrated.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Brand spanking new game.

I believe Overhaul is committed to fixing issues and bugs related to the game, so you really have a choice. Buy it now and experience a better playing experience (No loading screens is a huge bonus) or wait for a patch or two to come out and see if some of the issues have been resolved.

From my gaming experience, the game is playable. I have only encountered minor bugs. IMO, the new additions to the game is definitely worth it. If EA and Bioware are charging $7 for one new character in Mass Effect 2; 3 new NPCs, new areas and a new campaign for $20 is a steal.