Skip to content

VMWare Graphic Bug - No background map

volneb83volneb83 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 525
I am playing BGEE in VMWare Fusion 5.0.3 (host: Mac OS 10.8, guest Windows 7 64bit).
Neither in the tutorial nor in the "real" game the background maps are shown – it's all black. See screenshot under http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/bildschirmfoto20121130u.png/

Maybe VMWare's graphic device is the problem?

Best regards
Volker

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    VMWare never had good graphic emulation. Parallels seems to be working all right, according to some other posts in the forum.
  • The_PeteThe_Pete Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem. I tried to disable 3D graphics in the VMWare machine. But then the game crashes when launching the tutorial after selecting a character.

Argh.
  • czertczert Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    Hi, I have a problem with my game: the in-game environment is completely black. That is, the UI works (almost) fine, but I can't see anything on the main game screen, except the active sprites: character walking, spell effects, etc. The rest is just black.

Another issue that may be connected to this problem is i kind of disappearing or unreadable text in most of the UI text boxes: usually, the upper portion of the text box can be read fine, but is then cut off somewhere in the middle and the rest is invisible. On some backgrounds, it seem like part of the invisible text is actually rendered, but in black against an almost black background, thus unreadable. When the text box is scrollable, scrolling works, but always only the upper portion of the displayed text can be read.

Both problems persist in both fullscreen and windowed modes.

I'm running the game on a Windows XP VM.

Anyone else experiencing these issues? Any ideas how to fix this?
    Post edited by czert on
  • czertczert Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    I should have probably posted this to the bg:ee bugs section... sorry about that.

Update: ooh, I can move it there myself, cool! .)
    Post edited by czert on
  • MusiKcMusiKc Member Posts: 6
    Same trouble :( Nothing helped.
  • volneb83volneb83 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 525
    Funny fact:
    If you add
    'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1'
    to your Baldur.ini the background changes to white.
  • pabroupabrou Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2012
    Exactly the same thing happens to me. I tried using VMware 5.0.2 running Windows XP SP3. I have an iMac with NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB. Maybe it's the NVIDIA integrated video card?
    I'll try to use Parallels to see if it works better.
  • pabroupabrou Member Posts: 2
    Ok, so I just tried with Parallels 8 and it runs great. So the problem is only with VMWare.
  • volneb83volneb83 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 525
    I have written an email to the support, asking if there is a chance to get this bug fixed soon.
    This is the answer:
    "Hello, I doubt VMware compatibility will be fixed for quite some time. I can refund your purchase if you'd prefer, though."

Seems like waiting for the native Mac version is the best thing for VMWare users right now.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Try to update your graphics drivers (opengl). I don't know if that is possible for your VM.
    Also download any patches that come with the game.
    edited December 2012
    merge done
    Post edited by Avenger_teambg on
  • YovanethYovaneth Member Posts: 691
    @avenger_teambg The problem is the VMFusion graphics emulation.

'Graphics issues when running a virtual machine on Lion with an Intel graphics card
    Symptoms
    You may experience graphic rendering issues in your virtual machine when running in OS X 10.7 (Lion) and using Intel graphic chipsets:

blank or black screens in certain applications
    choppy or incomplete graphics
    images are the wrong color

Resolution
    To work around this issue, disable 3D graphics acceleration.

Ensure that the virtual machine is powered off.
    Select the virtual machine in the Virtual Machine Library.
    Go to Virtual Machine > Settings > Display.
    Switch Accelerate 3D Graphics to OFF.'

Additional FYI:
    Prior to v6.0 of Workstation (and its derivatives) the graphics emulation is the Cirrus Logic S3 chipset (4Mb RAM) from about 1995. Post v6.0 claims Open GL 2.1 support. VMFusion 5.x also claims to run Open GL 2.1. VMWare are a bit coy about DirectX support but I'm going to stick my foot in my mouth here and guess it doesn't extend much beyond DirectX 7.0.
    Well, BGEE doesn't require DX, it requires OpenGL 2.1
    But it needs a flawless implementation, or maybe worths a shot setting 'Graphics','OpenGL Version','1'
    in BGEE config.
  • swampfayeswampfaye Member Posts: 1
    How do I do this and where is my virtual machine?
  • jimgagnejimgagne Member Posts: 4
    I have the same bug on a Macbook Pro 17" running Mavericks and VMWare Fusion 7.0. When I switch Accelerate 3D Graphics to OFF, it fixes the display in BGEE, but then all graphics run INCREDIBLY slowly, including Solitaire, which is now so slow it's unplayable!! Not a fix!