Skip to content

6900XT low FPS\boost clocks

dasa2dasa2 Member Posts: 1
As you can see in the image the game is running 25FPS and the GPU is only at ~550MHz
https://postimg.cc/7bxSvnZb
While that is a particularly challenging part of this module and FPS are typically much higher in the original campaign this is a much more powerful GPU than most use to play this.

If I change the minimum boost clock of the GPU to 2496MHz then FPS almost double which is a good workaround at least until a lot of AoE spells are used.
So the game is not making full use of the GPU and the GPU is not detecting enough load to increase it's clocks from idle.

FPS also improve if I reduce the number of lights and drop the res below 3440x1440.

I have submitted a bug report but it would be nice to know how this game performs for others with the latest GPU.

I also tried AMD support but they don't seem to accept bug reports from users just developers and all they were willing to do was make sure I had everything up to date and then suggest I contact the game developer.

System is
5800X
B550 Aorus Pro
4x8GB 4000c16 running 1:1 with the IF
6900XTXH LC 16GB
1TB 970 EVO
https://postimg.cc/XpWj1sjD
System performs great in benchmarks and newer games.

Comments

• SilentNoteSilentNote Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2022
    I have a RX 6800XT running a 4k monitor. The FPS fluctuates between 30 - 70 fps. It stutters a lot and it's really a pain to play. Very very frustrating. This is with Enhanced Lighting and Ambient occlusion turned OFF. With Enhanced Lighting and Ambient Oclussion ON, it runs with 15-30 fps on a RX 6800XT LOL. My older computer with GTX 1060 runs 100+ fps (on 1080p) smoothly with all settings on default (enhanced lighting and ambient occlusion on). Never thought I'd be getting less fps with a faster card. Hahaha!

Also the FPS is not consistent. When the game is first loaded, it can run 100+ fps, but after a while it drops to 70fps, and sometimes goes all the way down to 30 fps on a stutter fest. This is in the same general area and similar scene. It just does different things at different times.

For comparison my old MBP with GTX 750m runs 100 fps (at 2880 x 1800) with Enhanced ighting and ambient occlusion turned OFF. GTX 750M > RX 6800 XT who would've thought!

Edit:

Ok so I found out that >trace fps probably doesn't give an accurate fps count. You have to tick the "Graphics Stats" from the graphics options to get the accurate fps reading (since AMD overlay doesn't work with this game).

So here are my FPS running a 4k monitor using RX 6800XT and zooming out completely:
    - "Best Preset": ~30 fps
    - All default: ~34
    - "Good Preset": ~45 fps
    - "Low Preset": ~85 fps
    - All on high but turning OFF Lighting Enhanced and Ambient Occlusion: ~75 fps

The last option is the settings I will use. For comparison, this same setting (last option) on my old GTX 950 running on the same 4k monitor does 100fps and is smooth. On my RX 6800 XT it's only 75 fps and still stutters a lot. My GTX 1060 (6GB) runs 110+ fps (Based on RTSS overlay) smoothly on default settings (Lighting Enhanced & Ambient Occlusion ON). I'll have to check what the in game "Graphics Stats" fps count is later as the GTX 1060 computer is not with me right now.

GPU is at 20-30% and CPU is under ~5%.

I've been testing this for 4~6 hours now. Hope this helps someone, and hopefully a fix can be released.

Post edited by SilentNote on
  • SilentNoteSilentNote Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2022
    So a little further research showed that this might be a problem due to AMD's support (or lack of thereof) for DirectX 9 and / or OpenGl under Windows. So I was like why not try the linux version. I installed manjaro and downloaded the linux installer from GOG. Installed and ran the game. Now I get 150fps on my 6800XT, maximum settings at 4k. Smooth as butter. This is right out of the box with no configuration either.

Well. That seems about right. I'm pretty happy now.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Good to know, thanks!