Protection From Magic (Green Scroll) Inconsistent in EE Games

hsenparhsenpar Member Posts: 59
The scroll:
https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Protection_From_Magic

BG:EE
Self-target

BG2:EE
Single target (choice)

Seemingly a minor difference, but in BG2:EE this scroll can be used offensively to strip enemy mages of their protections. An offensive dispel-all effect with a guarantee.

One scroll can trivialize all bosses if it's equipped in a quick slot and then cast by a simulacrum (Vhailor's Helm) to never burn the original.

Secondary observation: Simulacrum's/Clones should not have item quick slots.
Primary observation: The behaviour of the Protection From Magic scroll in BG:EE is correct.

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    The descriptions are different, too. Each matches the effect in its game, so I'm not inclined to change that.

Blocking item use for clones ... SCS has a component that does that. I'm not inclined to add it to the base game, even if clones using items is basically always abusive. The usability change that's definitely happening is reverting the 2.6 removal of stealth and trap-searching while blocking "thieving".
  • hsenparhsenpar Member Posts: 59
    @jmerry I take you develop BG:EE games for Beamdog? It's nice to hear there's something in the works.

The descriptions check out. But if it's not a major undertaking, allow me to insist a little more on the scroll:

- Benefits to deviate from a 1:1 unclear; more administrative overhead.
    - "Protection" scroll with a best-in-class offensive utility.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    jmerry is not the developer, but I agree with their opinion. At this stage of the games' development, it's unlikely to see any similar change.
  • hsenparhsenpar Member Posts: 59
    @JuliusBorisov Will Beamdog pass on the development of BG:EE games so that they will be subject to "official" community patches from day X onwards?

A lot of problem-solving has already been done, a copy/paste away from the base games.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    We can't "pass on" the development as we will continue to support all the EEs (e.g. by providing updates for the mobile version of the games). But expecting a feature change in how this or that spell works, if it's not a bug, is unrealistic, at this stage.