Skip to content

[2.6] BG2 Radar Overlay Released!

YunieYunie Member Posts: 44
edited July 2023 in BGII:EE Mods
Hello everyone!

I've made an overlay for BG1EE/BG2EE (2.6) showing all the enemies' resistances, stats, buffs with durations in realtime!
Demos:

Screenshots:

FpUZ9s0.webp
175143688-d036ed2d-6c66-4d01-a436-88a32c8807e6.jpg
177209642-a025a038-3387-4282-95bc-30cfd312b0c5.png

Instructions:
  • Download the latest release (BG.Radar.Overlay.7z) from github
  • Extract it anywhere
  • Run the game in windowed mode
  • For AMD users: turn on the alternative renderer in the game's setttings and restart it
  • Run the overlay
  • Enjoy
Possible false positives by Windows Defender:

Windows Defender might find the archive to be infected with a virus - which is a false positive. You can check that with VirusTotal
177207022-37b40db9-6dba-4c8f-bab8-be6efc3c294b.png

PS:
The project does not depend on the EE Ex (wish it was) and should be compatible with any mods.
It might ask for admin privileges - it uses a mouse hook to intercept right-clicking on the enemies
If you found any issues feel free to create one on the project github page.
Post edited by Yunie on

Comments

• gatperdutgatperdut Member Posts: 15
    Been using it for a few days and it's become a must-install. Gorgeous to look at and use, and a real help for those of us that can't be bothered to memorize immunities and resistances or how long each spell protection will last for each enemy or party member, but still enjoy the tactical aspect of the game. I couple it with SCS and I can focus on figuring out how to counter what the enemies throw at me instead of cursing the hassle that is the lack of feedback in BG games.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,517
    edited June 2022
    Thankee for releasing this mod!

Clarity Nitpick: When you say "Immune to spells up to level X," a clearer way to phrase this is "Immune to spells of level X and below" so players know for certain that's what you meant.

Inquiry: Does your mod account for being immune to spells due to other mods, like the Spell Revisions version of fire shield also blocking insect swarm and such on a subject?

Inquiry: What do the numbers under the buff icons mean? The sample image has a buncha .9 numbers: Does this mean minutes? Hours? Other? Pweath clarify!

Consideration: What you did with this mod is somewhat of Pathfinder Kingmaker's schtick where a high Knowledge check reveals more info about a creature. While I'm unsure how that would directly port to BG's engine, perhaps a Lore check to reveal higher grades of information and more info in general would be worthwhile as an option. What say you?
  • YunieYunie Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2022
    Endarire wrote: »
    Clarity Nitpick: When you say "Immune to spells up to level X," a clearer way to phrase this is "Immune to spells of level X and below" so players know for certain that's what you meant.
    Okki
    Inquiry: Does your mod account for being immune to spells due to other mods, like the Spell Revisions version of fire shield also blocking insect swarm and such on a subject?
    Depends on how they approached it internally, if it adds an immunity to spell - it will show up. If it is some tricky script magic - it won't.
    Inquiry: What do the numbers under the buff icons mean? The sample image has a buncha .9 numbers: Does this mean minutes? Hours? Other? Pweath clarify!

The numbers are <Turns>.<Rounds> or just <Rounds> if the duration is less then a turn.
    Post edited by Yunie on
  • _DD__DD_ Member Posts: 54
    Thank you for your work, this looks very interesting.
  • Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 336
    This looks awesome!
  • MothorMothor Member Posts: 246
    A very promising mod, thank you for your hard work!
    Guys, people found a bug where the Radar would crash If you play a pre-generated character and open its stats.
    Got that fixed already in the latest release (reupload).
  • xiaoleiwenxiaoleiwen Member Posts: 193
    edited June 2022
    Didn't expect we can achieve this by modding but modders never fail to surprise me. :)

Really appreciate this MOD, a must install for me now.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited June 2022
    I have a wicked idea. Is it possible to tie the amount of information the pop up gives to the max Lore value your party have? It would add immersion if it shows more stats for party that have a party member with Lore 80 that for the party that doesn't have anyone with Lore over 20. I realise this could be seen as controversial proposal, so I'd be perfectly fine for it to be added as an optional component - if of course it's possible to do at all.

This would add another reason to play G3's Lore from Learning mod.
    To build upon what Cahir and I mentioned regarding lore, this is a more specific system I request be included as an install time option. (Tweak these suggestions as prudent.)

-All creatures require a specific minimum Lore stat to identify. Once a creature of a type (Skeleton, Ghoul, Troll, Shambling Mound, Lich, Bodhi, Necromancer,...) has been identified, it remains identified for the rest of the game for the party.

-Once the party sees an unidentified creature, the party member with the highest Lore stat ("Lore") rolls {{d20 + his Lore modifier}} to identify it. Failing this roll means the creature's stats aren't identified, but its name is displayed as normal. Success means a creature's stats are fully listed. At the implemenenter's discretion, there may be degrees of success, like the first degree of success reveals a creature's ability scores/active buffs & effects/race, the next degree reveals its resists & saves, and the final degree reveals everything.

-The DC to fully identify a creature is {{5 (base) + 5 * the creature's total hit dice}}. The DC to identify a creature's first section of information is {{5 (base) + the creature's total hit dice}}. The DC to identify a creature's second section of information is {{5 (base) + 3 * the creature's total hit dice}}.

-There may be additional DC modifiers to identify a creature based on its creature type. Animals, Humanoids, Undead are fairly common, but creature types may receive an obscurity modifier to their DC:

-- +0 (common or generally well-known)
    -- +5 (generally uncommon but may be common in specific areas where PCs typically go)
    -- +10 (maybe someone wrote about it in a song that's seen as fanciful or hard to believe)
    -- +15 (How does seemingly no one know that CREATURE TYPE is in the game?)
    -- +20 (What is this extradimensional alien?!)

-Killing a creature in combat gives a bonus to identify this specific creature type in the future, such as +3 per Gnoll killed to identify further Gnolls.

-If the party has ever had a party member of the same race (Gnoll, Drow, Human, Dwarf...) or has summoned someone of that race (Air Elemental, Genie, Planetar...), the party either auto-succeeds in identification or gets a significant bonus (at least +20) to identify them.

-At the implementer's discretion, there could also be books throughout the game world giving exact specifics of creature stats that would auto-identify creatures or give massive Lore bonuses to identify them.

-Once the party identifies a creature via sight, combat, books, or/and other means, a text message displays in the window saying, "New Creature Identified: <CREATURE NAME>." A partial success would display what part was identified such as, "New Creature Information Obtained (Resistances and Saves) for <CREATURE NAME>."

-A major intent of this system is to reward high INT & WIS characters like wish casters - as well as Bards - with lots of early game information while still allowing parties without such characters to learn something. (I was inspired by the creature identification systems in Pathfinder Kingmaker and XCOM.)

-There may be other aspects of such a system, but I focused on making the mechanics useful, fairly simple, and formulaic. I understand the exact numbers and information gained at each tier may need tweaking.

Thankee and enjoy!
  • Goat_Boy11Goat_Boy11 Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2022
    I'm try running the exe to install it but nothing happens

My bad figured it out!
    shrug. Not a fan of the whole Lore thing. Unnecessary overcomplication.
    I'm not keen on the idea either, but I'd love to see other people forking it or contributing their features.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    This kicks elven arse!

Is it possible to customize the font used on the overlay?
    This kicks elven arse!

Is it possible to customize the font used on the overlay?

No its not configurable now.
    @AndreaColombo Added the font configuration in the latest release

173483443-51203f6e-6439-4721-96e0-0144322f71f6.jpg
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    Super awesome!! Thank you ☺️
  • Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 336
    I like the lore idea. Maybe somebody will fork?
    I've uploaded a new release with weapon on-hit effects!
    It looks like this now:

175143688-d036ed2d-6c66-4d01-a436-88a32c8807e6.jpg
    Request: Change "Immunity to spells of up to level X" to be "Immune to spells of level X and below." In English, "up to" has a conflicting meaning or connotation of "up to but excluding" as well as "up to and including."
  • caescaes Member Posts: 33
    Yunie wrote: »
    Guys, people found a bug where the Radar would crash If you play a pre-generated character and open its stats.

This bug is back in the latest version (from 2 days ago).

Thank you for this awesome mod!
    @Yunie
    Request for an update to this program or another - add these toggleable options for mousing over NPCs:

-Display the last time (in game time) a party member talked to this NPC. If this hasn't happened yet, instead display, "The party hasn't yet talked to <UNIT NAME>."

-Display whether this NPC can be recruited. (Edwin, Viconia, etc. can.)

-Display whether this NPC has a vendor inventory and their vendor markup amount/percent.

-Display which quests this NPC is associated with. (If this isn't feasible, instead mention if this NPC has any associated quest data.)

When mousing over an area on the world map which the party has visited or can travel to, display these for the location:
    -The last time (in game time) any party member entered the area. (If the party hasn't visited the area, instead display, "The party has not yet visited this area.")

-Which NPC names in the area have associated quest data and the names of each quest.

-Which NPC names in the area can be recruited (Edwin, Minsc, etc.)

-Which NPC names in the area have a vendor.

Note that I am unsure of the logistics of implementing these, but I request them because they seemed helpful and thematic, especially in a megamod install. Thankee!
    @Endarire
    Request for yourself exclusively - add this toggleable option:

-Stop being such a turd when mousing over. If this isn't possible, then make it so.

Not that I am sure of the logistics of this, but I request it because it seems helpful and thematic, specially in a mega-annoying install. Thankee!
    caes wrote: »
    Yunie wrote: »

This bug is back in the latest version (from 2 days ago).

Thank you for this awesome mod!
    Thanks <3 !

Already uploading the fixed version for you
    @Yunie
    What say you to my suggestions from a few days ago?

Thankee!
    @Yunie
    What say you to my suggestions from a few days ago?

Thankee!

Its out of my vision for the project.
    I see it like in Mivsan videos where he was putting the overlays through the magic of editing with the stats required to understand the tricky enemies. Things the game does not tell you and you have to look for in a wiki.

Yet again, anyone is welcome to fork the project and modify it however they like (its just C# after all).
    Thankee!
  • GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
    @Yunie Simply brilliant, any plans to bring this to macOS?
    Greener wrote: »
    @Yunie Simply brilliant, any plans to bring this to macOS?
    Glad you liked it!

As for MacOS - I don't have any expertise for that :(
  • xiaoleiwenxiaoleiwen Member Posts: 193
    Is it possible to show the effects from potions some day?