Skip to content

Losing Rep Without Being a Dick

2»

Comments

• csuzwcsuzw Member Posts: 48
    edited December 2012
    @Scofield While I think the bard thing is interesting, from a role playing point of view I don't think the way reputation is used makes sense full stop. The system is an odd combination of how well known you are and how "evil" you are on 1 scale and that doesn't work. Even if you go with it the results of it don't seem right to me, for example 1 of the ways I find it wrong I'd say the price reduction is completely the opposite of what you'd expect. A well known good group is more likely to get charged normal prices, if not extra because the merchants know they're going to have money and know they're not going to get killed for saying the wrong thing so they can haggle as much as they want. An evil group on the other hand is likely to get many discounts because merchants are scared of them or just want them to go away and stop scaring other customers. At the same time the events that make you lose/gain reputation often feel arbitrary and trying to make your reputation reflect the character you have in your mind often means choosing paths that don't fit. Obviously it's impossible to design a game to cover all options but I feel the best option to allow me to play as I want from a role play perspective without having my randomly fluctuating reputation screw things up is to just set it to a value and stick with it.
  • ScofieldScofield Member Posts: 119
    @Kirkor Where can this lady with the assassination quest be found? I don't remember this one, though it seems interesting.
    @csuzw When you reach a reputation high enough you become a hero. Citizens including merchants love heroes and grateful for them. Heroes not only get discounts but often get stuff for free. On the other hand, the less popular (evil) characters are not welcome in the city at all. Some stores might even refuse to serve them and call the guards instantly.

This is how I see this. But you may have a different opinion.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    edited December 2012
    Scofield said:

@Kirkor Where can this lady with the assassination quest be found? I don't remember this one, though it seems interesting.

@Scofield In guests rooms, in Three Old Kegs inn. It's in Duchal Palace area.

edit: I was wrong. You can take gold from her only once. So not much reputation loosing :(
    @Kirkor Thanks! A one time -1 rep loss is still better than nothing. It could come handy when the rep of your mixed group gets too high. The 500 gold is just the icing on the cake for this. : )
  • crawlkillcrawlkill Member Posts: 71
    @csuzw There was an old BG2 mod that attempted to seperate reputation from "virtue." Never played it, dunno how well it worked. What gets me is how reputation changes even when there are no witnesses to your acts...I mean, someone's gotta SEE the murder to repu-tate it.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    edited December 2012
    If I was a portly shopkeeper and a demon-summoning lunatic covered in blood that's renowned for the utter destruction of 3 towns walked in and started perusing my fine wares, I would give them whatever they wanted for 1gp and consider it a profit that they didn't wear my skin as a cloak.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    edited December 2012

If I was a portly shopkeeper and a demon-summoning lunatic covered in blood that's renowned for the utter destruction of 3 towns walked in and started perusing my fine wares, I would give them whatever they wanted for 1gp and consider it a profit that they didn't wear my skin as a cloak.

This.

The only leverage the portly shopkeeper has is the game mechanic that you can't rob his store if you kill him.

Anyone think Sarevok pays a premium for his stuff?