Skip to content

The new, improved Gorion Battle

DinoDino Member Posts: 291
I savoured every second of it! He actually looks slightly competent now! Beautiful :)

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    And yet the high level mage who can afford the "5,000 Gold book" entry fee to Candlekeep still gives you "30 gold" spending money to equip yourself for the flight for your life.
  • agentmulderagentmulder Member Posts: 114
    I don't remember the old one, but this one is really cool.
  • DinoDino Member Posts: 291
    Improvements such as these makes me happy.
    However, this improved battle also made me recite Irenicus lines to myself, like:

Must I be interrupted at every turn? Enough of this!! *crack!* *swisssh* *splat!*

I guess that just means its awesome.

I don't remember the old one, but this one is really cool.

The old one was basically magic missile, magic missle, ligtning bolt, acid arow, fist attack...
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Plus in the original, you get hit by a flame arrow (level 3 spell) for exactly 1 damage.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Yeah, I actually thought he might win this time... !
    mch202 said:

Yeah, I actually thought he might win this time... !

Somewhere in the multiverse... he does!

• MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    And it doesn't crash me out of the game! :D
  • aeonsimaeonsim Member Posts: 6
    Pantalion said:

And yet the high level mage who can afford the "5,000 Gold book" entry fee to Candlekeep still gives you "30 gold" spending money to equip yourself for the flight for your life.

Isn't spending money somewhat random? I received 80g with a CM.
    edited November 2012
    To be fair, Winthrops Inn isnt exactly The Adventurer's Mart in Athkatla anyway... 50 gold is more than enough, imo.
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    Have you noticed that after the scene you end up with full HP even if you are hit by one of the members of the gang. In original you always end up a bit hurt as you start in the morning. One of the many inconsistencies of this "enhanced" edition compared to original.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Pantalion said:

I started an elven fighter/mage yesterday and got some 140 gold pieces...
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Pantalion said:

Gorion is an upper 1%=er. OCCUPY CANDLEKEEP!

Pantalion said:

Gorion is an upper 1%=er. OCCUPY CANDLEKEEP!
    Nah, hes cool. The Iron Throne, on the other hand... Thats the 1%!
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    Communard said:

Related, I loved the nice touch where they have a priest just inside the Candlekeep gate now instead of Gorion somehow knowing divine magic. :D

I always thought Gorion was supposed to be a wizard/cleric. Mostly on the few occassions when people talked about him, I noticed they say "was" a powerful wizard in his adventuring days. Maybe I just overlooked something.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    edited November 2012

Communard said:

Related, I loved the nice touch where they have a priest just inside the Candlekeep gate now instead of Gorion somehow knowing divine magic. :D

I always thought Gorion was supposed to be a wizard dualled to cleric. Mostly on the few occassions when people talked about him, I noticed they say "was" a powerful wizard in his adventuring days. Maybe I just overlooked something.

Communard said:

I always thought Gorion was supposed to be a wizard/cleric. Mostly on the few occassions when people talked about him, I noticed they say "was" a powerful wizard in his adventuring days. Maybe I just overlooked something.
    That would actually make some sense considering this whole bhaalspawn prophecy business.
  • AndtalathAndtalath Member Posts: 23
    Starting gold is random an based on class.
    Fighters get more to afford armor.

And, yes, this battle was cooler and faster, also, It looked like Gorion would've won if it wasn't for Tamoko, which was a very nice touch instead of her just running away.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I thought those arrows would actually kill me this time!
  • LMTR14LMTR14 Member Posts: 165
    Pantalion said:

Candlekeep is quite misrepresented in this game. You can't stay there for more than 10 days at a time, so obviously Gorion is not a regular 5000 gold (or rather rare book) customer

• DemiGothDemiGoth Member Posts: 44
    Pantalion said:

I think Gorion has a whole stack of 5000 gold books. From what I gather, he's hopping in & out of Candlekeep whenever it suits him. I wouldn't be surprised if he's having a deal with the ABC bookstore through Mr. E's friend Ed... ;-)
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    DJKajuru said:

I thought those arrows would actually kill me this time!

Me too. Imagine my surprise as I noticed I wasn't even wounded...
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    How high a level is Tamoko that she can dispel his magic, though? Sounds like she should be conjuring skeletal warriors when she faces the party now.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    edited November 2012
    Communard said:

i was wondering that myself, i didn't think it was in the original but been a min since i replayed it. i also liked that tamoko didn't cast a spell, but rather you're hit with an arrow.

also @gunman, you sleep the rest of the night, and you heal 1 hp when you sleep, so that's actually accurate, basically you pass out for 8 hours but still.
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    The battle scene is scripted, because the PC was hit by several arrows or spells that would have killed him at the measly HP he had at lvl 1, being a sorcerer. In the original was scripted too but in the morning had 1 HP less, here it has full HP. I don't think any damage is actually done against PC during the battle scene even if the animation shows it.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    edited November 2012
    Speaking of Candlekeep; how can Winthrop afford to run an inn in that town in the first place? Are there really enough people visiting the library to keep his business viable? And despite the fact that his clientele basically defines the 1% he has the lowest prices in the game? What was he thinking?

'Be an elven arse! Occupy Winthrop's!'
  • DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    gunman said:

The battle scene is scripted, because the PC was hit by several arrows or spells that would have killed him at the measly HP he had at lvl 1, being a sorcerer. In the original was scripted too but in the morning had 1 HP less, here it has full HP. I don't think any damage is actually done against PC during the battle scene even if the animation shows it.

@gunman - Scripted it might be, but I for one am glad it is.

Realism is all very well, but to leave your Lvl 1 Char alive, after an ambush that is realistic, chances are you wouldn't feel the need to flee, or be as invested in the story, as you maybe would do if the battle was all "Hollywood Hero" action but little damage.

Ok, it a little piece of cinematic fluff, rather than actually realistic gameplay, but it just sets the story up for the rest of the game. Artistic license I would argue, is a good thing when applied sensibly. :)
  • MadaeMadae Member Posts: 24
    edited November 2012
    Be honest; who here actually fled at the end of the battle in the original? Soon as I got control of my character, I walked right back up there and looted that gold and gem the ogre drops. So... so much for common sense. If those guys knew me, my quest would have ended rather quickly.