Skip to content

Creating a 'Nether Swap' teleportation spell

Vy_LinvailVy_Linvail Member Posts: 6
edited August 2022 in General Modding
Teleportation is fun, and it's easy to achieve when creating a custom special ability mod for the BGEE/BG2EE games, however it always seems a little bit too powerful. A bit OTT to be able to hop around the map willy-nilly.

I'm interested in creating a spell that is similar to the Nether Swap spell from DOS2.

Sure you can teleport, but you need to switch places with another target within range.

It seems like it'd be a really fun concept for a Thief type character, but I can't seem to accomplish it in Near Infinity. It should be a simple case of teleporting the caster to the targets location and then telporting the target to the casters old location... but NearInfinity doesn't seem to offer a clear solution.

Any help at all would be grandly appreciated!

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Icewind Dale 2 actually had an unused spell called Translocation Trick that did exactly that.

If you want to make a spell like that, give it an effect like this:

ys2h9swyagnw.png
    Make sure that the target of the spell is set to "Living actor".

On a side note, depending on how easy it is to do, teleportation is not necessarily that powerful. The 4th-level spell Dimension Door, for example, is very weak for its level. It can occasionally come in handy if you're cornered, but other spells of that level like Confusion and Stoneskin come in handy far more often. There's a pretty big opportunity cost to spending your 4th-level slots on teleportation.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    edited August 2022
    D&D 3.5 has benign transposition (Sor/Wiz1) for allies and baleful transposition (Sor/Wiz2) for foes.
  • Vy_LinvailVy_Linvail Member Posts: 6
    Thank you both! Extremely helpful indeed.

I'm actually looking at just making a little mod for the Shadowdancer. Much as I enjoy Shadowstep I find it a bit gamebreaking, and while teleportation isn't that powerful it's a neat trick. What I'm actually doing is creating a pool of about five magical abilities (some charms, some stuns and a shadowstep) that the SD can pull from each day to make it just a touch more interesting/magical.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @Vy_Linvail
    There would be plenty of application for fun and perhaps game-breaking with a baleful transposition style spell if it could be used on neutral NPCs as well.