Skip to content

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr - Jousting Tournament Bug

jlicharsonjlicharson Member Posts: 13
Well, I have got through most of the official modules reasonably well, but have got stuck at the Jousting Touurnament in Thunderstone.

All the practicing jousts went off without a hitch. But, in the jousting for real, afterthe first pass, whether I have hit, unseated or missed the opponent, the whole follow through cut scene after the two knights are across from eachother. The background animation and music continues, but I have no more control.

I tried waiting it out: Unsuccessfully. The only escape is to click the X at the top right of the window and end the game. I tried starting over again and changing my attack and defend points as suggested in some onlinefora, but the cut scene still freezes.

Has anyone got past the Jousts? If so how?

Grateful for any advice anyone out there may have on how to get past thecut scene freeze up.

Otherwise this module - which I have found quite enjoyable to this point - is going to go to the unused junk pile.

Comments

• ElGrilloElGrillo Member Posts: 11
    I think I've seen it discussed on the nwn subreddit and on the Vault discord. Worth checking out those to see if you can find old posts with fixes.
    @JuliusBorisov may know more as well ofc
  • jlicharsonjlicharson Member Posts: 13
    Tks for responding.

Saw numerous older posts on this on different sites, all of which seem to say the problem was never addressed.
    On the other hand, there are many posts which indicate others have been able to play the whole game through with no problem.

I'm going to start over and see if it makes any difference to the play when I get to the jousting part.
    I tried again today and managed to get through the joust. As Champion, no less.

I found that the only way to complete the tournament was to save at every point possible between the jousting bouts and then, when the cut scene freezes, just exit the game and start over again at the last starting point.

I suspect that there may be specific combinations of offensive and defensive actions that cause the cut scene to freeze, but I never had the patience to note down all the ones that caused the problems. [There does not appear to be any bug in the joust training phase.]

I suspect there may be a combination of factors that affect whether or not the game hangs, ranging from in the game software and options taken therein, to the hardware on which the game is played.
  • megb6megb6 Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I may have found something to help. Each of the jousters follow one type of attack with the lance. Jousting does not seem to be affected by the Riding skill or any particular statistic, like STR or DEX. Instead, jousting seems to be more like rock - paper- scissors. Once you find the move, write it down for the future to use against each particular knight. I've found each knight seems vulnerable to one particular move on your part which dismounts the knight, giving you an automatic win. These are likely to work, but not 100% since each jouster varies their moves a little each time.
    Tx. I’ve started playing all the NWN games over again. When I get to WCoC, I’ll try to go at it more scientifically.
    Also, as I recall, the game gives several hints about which attack is most likely to succeed against most of the opponents. I remember puzzling them out, but never recorded them.
  • bird0772bird0772 Member Posts: 1
    So this problem is a pain in the rear. Seems the only way to keep from freezing is to win each bout outright on the fist pass. I was able to note how to beat a few of the Knights to make it past the issue. Here is my findings if anyone else wants to add to this:
    Sir Argon True Silver: Chose SF and lean right
    Sir Baradin Hawklin: FP and Steady in Saddle
    Lady Morgana: Base and Steady in Saddle
    Sir Blakeney Hawklin: Helm and Steady in Saddle

Again if anyone can add to this I'm sure the community would greatly appreciate it as it will help get folks through this highly ahoying issue.