Skip to content

Do you hoard magical ammo?

ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
In all the Infinity Engine games, I find myself holding to about 20 different types of magical ammunition (+X arrows/bullets, arrows of dispelling, etc.) and rarely using any of it. Either I forget I could use it, or I'm afraid to waste it and then miss it for an enemy it could be useful on.

How do you use magical ammo? As soon as you find it? Strategically before each battle? Just hoarding it forever?

Comments

• lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited February 2023
    I hoard everything I find but I use it always over regular ammunition. Some ammunition that I have no proficiency for gets hoarded up until a maximum of about two stacks, the rest is left in place or sold.

After 24 (?) years I still cannot skip items in containers and I drag things along to the stores. Only if my inventory is full will I think about discarding items. [HELP :D]
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited February 2023
    In BG1 in particular, you don't need to worry about it too much. Just buy a ton of acid arrows; they're the best arrows in the game aside from Arrows of Detonation and Dispelling. Thalantyr sells a whopping 1000 acid arrows, and Sorcerous Sundries sells another 400. That's a good thing to spend your money on late in BG1, and it should last you to the end of SOD, even if you have more than one archer.

In BG2, my recommendation is to save fire and acid arrows for finishing off trolls and use your other magical ammo with impunity.

In IWD1, on the other hand, you don't get a lot of good magical ammo, so you should probably save it for a good time. It's still worth using fire and acid arrows to finish off trolls.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Darts of stunning are extremely powerful in BG1 and I quite often use those there. In BG2 I tend to find I hoard them and never actually use them - as enemies are either easy to kill without them or resistant to the effect.