Skip to content

Solo thief/cleric multi BG2 run.

I started a solo run for the first time, never tried it.

Im not sure on what weapons i will stick with, apr is crap, but im enjoying a lot. Just left Irenicus dungeon and did Kalah quest, im afraid of the atkhala ambush, its gonna be tough, but since im chaotic evil i have horror.

I dont fully get the thief cleric yet, but i guess its most backstabbing and traps where this character shines. Im rpíng a as a fd up individual who is angry at the world like Kalah, hes a 5´1 gnome.

Charname: Subhuman

18 str
18 dex
18 con
7 int (min)
17 wis
3 chr (min)

Thoughts or tips ?

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    to be honest 5'1 is extremely tall for a gnome, lore wise they are usually closer to 2'6

if backstab is you thang then keep at it, the level 2 spell draw upon holy might helps in this regard giving you a +1 to STR/DEX/CON for every 3 levels so this helps in hitting your target and dealing some extra damage

plus with the increase in DEX from this spell it gives a boost to your thief skills as well, especially for pick pocket, no sense in buying items if you can steal them instead ( if the option is available that is )

for level 3 spells, animate is a great one, the skellies get stronger at certain level ups, plus they are also great distractors while you get your CHAR into place for either a backstab or some crowd control spells if need be

for level 4 spells having a prot from evil 10' radius and some defensive harmonies is usually pretty good, especially if you summon some skellies before hand, this basically gives evil baddies a -4 to hit on your make shift group, plus the level 10 prot from evil spell has a long duration unlike the level 1 spell does

for level 5 righteous magic is great, it stacks with draw upon holy might ( making your STR even crazier ) gives you +1 HP per level AND every attack deals maximum damage, if back stab is your thang, make sure to have this spell cast

also if you want to cut back a bit and have summons do the fighting you can always go with flamestrikes from the rear, its only single target but it deals some pretty big damage

or if crowd control is more your thing greater command can work, it pretty much works the same as the level 4 mage spell emotion hopelessness, and what is great is a sleeping enemy might as well be a dead enemy since it cant fight back

for level 6 you have quite a few options;

blade barrier being the main one, since you will no doubt be crowded quite a lot, this spell will deal decent damage to anyone around you if they fail a save

heal is a great spell if you get hit hard and can fall back for a bit, no matter how much damage you have this spell heals you to full, although the cast time is quite huge so watch out

physical mirror can be good if you are getting bombarded by ranged weaponry since this spell will deflect those attacks back to their attacker, but other than that, this spell has no use

and i dont recall if clerics get them, but if they do, conjure animals is by far THE best animal summoning spell in the game, the 2 bears it summons wreck shop and wreck shop good, in fact if you can cast this spell twice, that is x4 bears that will cause some serious destruction, throughout SoA these bears are going to be god sends

for level 7 there are some options;
    regenerate is great if you find yourself taking damage often, this spell will make you regenerate extremely quickly although the duration is a bit short, so casting right before battle is pretty much mandatory,

there is shield of the archons, which is basically a weaker version of spell trap, but not to shabby if stuck in a mage heavy mess, although with higher level spells it will probably only absorb a couple, but hey, that could be the difference between life and death

also around this time, when you are starting to get into your level 7 spells you will be getting your high level abilities
    and especially the cleric quest spells for the most part are going to be way better than your normal spell selection the ones that you will want for sure are;

aura of flaming death; gives a bunch of protection bonuses plus an AC bonus of -4 which is great

globe of blades, just like blade barrier except more damage and comes with a beautiful saving throw penalty for your enemy making it harder to resist

elemental summoning is pretty good, especially once you start hitting ToB the mountain bears might lose their edge a bit but these elementals are good to go throughout the whole game, plus you might even luck out with an elemental prince summon every once in a while, definitely worth it since they are the most powerful summon in the game creature wise

energy blades, implosion, mass raise dead arent really going to be all that beneficial for a single character game, so i wouldn't invest too much time into them

plus another ability you are going to want, especially on that thief side is use any item, this will make it so you can also use mage spell scrolls without hassle, kind of making yourself a pseudo mage/cleric/thief, this is especially great for spells like tensors transformation and the protection form magical weapon spells, and even stoneskins, spell shields, spell immunity, so on and so on
  • BardsSuck_BardsSuck_ Member Posts: 133
    Thanks, ya im using blackblood for now, but my thaco is dogcrap....i miss a lot, skellies are pretty much my bread and butter....they have been soloing everything so far.

On one hand its crazy how can i rush everything with sanctuary, but this character is definitely a trickster type. Once i have UAI ill try kundane and some item with improved haste to push apr.

I might go for human flesh,m im gonna murder avalon, i never tried that armor. Im using ranger merella armor for now which lets me stealth.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,830
    Your base THAC0 will be poor for a long time, but you have ways to compensate. Clerics are good at buffing themselves. And even when you're not using buffs, backstabs greatly boost your chance to hit. You get a +4 bonus for striking from invisibility, you negate any Dex bonuses on top of that, and you get another +4 to hit and damage (the latter multiplied by your backstab multiplier) if the unsuspecting target has a missile weapon equipped.

The Human Flesh armor isn't very good for AC, but it's great for magical defense with the MR and save bonuses.
    So far my character is becoming quite better !!! im at underdark my multi is like level 16 or 17, i got already UAI and 2 spikeys....theres an apb search in Amn, my gnome got drunk and sea bounty and pulled a massacre with a sling....hes derranged and out of control.... ive bashed kids into bits and stomped on their tasticles, reputation is at 1 and paladins are chasing me everywhere in atkhala to enact justice. Brootal !!!

Im gonna murder avalon out of butthurt for the last playthorugh she teleported me in front of a bunch of enemies and i died....shes useless, im gonna make a omelet with her stupid eggs fried with her blood !

Time to farm xp in underdark until i plot the next adventure, i wanted take a printscreen but i cant they get black ?? I have that avatar with irish guy tith stupid peaky blinder hat, its hilarious.
    So far so great...doing quests and getting stronger, my character is gonna go after Jierdan, some kid gave me his message but i didnt like his tone so this happened...

liyiwovg1yrz.png
  • YigorYigor Member Posts: 536
    All right, I see the stats for my possible BP2 LoB try. However, I'll put INT=9 in order to use wands. 😎
    If you make it work you are a pro lol ! :D
    edited February 2023
    BardsSuck_ wrote: »
    If you make it work you are a pro lol ! :D

LoL 😸 Well, I indicated my tactics here:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/87064/solo-black-pits-2-on-lob-difficulty#latest

working for any cleric of level 11 or higher (in initial BP2 fights). 😉

Things are tough in TOB....have to rethink how im gonna tackle this, traps arent saving my ass here...

b04186ypal18.png
    Things are tough in TOB....have to rethink how im gonna tackle this, traps arent saving my ass here...

Wow... too many enemies! It's impossible to survive in such battle on LoB. Where are U? A gnoll stronghold? 😼
    edited February 2023
    Im playing SCS in tactical btw, i forgot add that in top post, no ascension, i couldnt beat ascension ilasera she was full of bs.

And its just the first challenge of pocket plane hell,i tried the razor spell that cuts people around me, but it doesnt seem to work, its a weird buggy spell. Then at this point im out of summons lol, i think im supposed to kill Irenicus after all this shit too LOL :D

Honesty i have to admit the thief cleric is kinda lame late game, my thaco still sucks even in TOB, its missing some juice like planetars...something that tilts fight in a hard way, if i was thief/mage, jesus id have WAY more stuff to cast, BS arcane have its insane.
    That looks like a job for fireballs. Sure, there are a few bosses in the mix, but most of that crowd are low-level mooks. Burn em'. Or just ignore them, because they can't hurt you - you took that "immunity to normal and +1 weapons" reward in the hell trials, and none of those mooks has anything that can hit you.
    (That version of Aran Linvail has a wand of monster summoning with five charges, and he's apparently scripted to use it. Also, being an enemy, he doesn't have a summoning limit like you do.)

So, that leaves the three bosses. Eltan is a fighter, most notable for having a shield of reflection. Don't attack him with missile weapons, but other than that he's nothing you haven't dealt with before. Linvail is a mage/thief; in addition to the wand summons, expect him to cast spells and try to go invisible so he can backstab you. Ellesime is a pure cleric, and she's not wearing heavy armor. She's the most vulnerable to being taken out of the fight quickly if you attack her.
    edited February 2023
    I got it, i summoned a Sunnis elemental prince on his location and that was the "trap", Sunnis smashed Aran Linvall to tiny chunks...im in Saradush...i dont think i will do watchers keep...im not needing any gear from it.. at least anything im remembering as useful... unless anyone remembers something that is a must have have ill stay away from it, i cant stand maze level.

y78ez7elnmzi.png
    edited February 2023
    Beated Gromnir, his goons wont follow me to other rooms, so i went weaving back and forth, save scumming and rest scumming

cpuoyyauptq0.png

Go invise, a few backstabs, sometimes i dropped pit fiend quick, leave, slowly bleeding them, then it starts snowballing and i everrar´ded slinged gromnir, he even had moral failure

e8ohibu0msrx.png

t91xun2cfgj1.png

My character is pretty fucked up in the head, i also bashed the ilmater cleric head with a club because she refused give me tips how enter palace. Hes a true son of Bhaal.

edited February 2023
    I missed the ice club he drops...the +4...oh well

On to Yaga Shura, its the battle between David and Goliath....my tiny gnome....and the giga chad with 20 inch missile...who will be victorious ???

Became invisible to scout area....landed few traps in key areas....so they chase me and ill slowly bleed them....i had some tactical summons on the starting point...with more traps of course x2pquk9c4ajx.png

Yaga Shura eventually came and started chasing me, in david vs goliath manner, i pulled him to me and kept slinging him, while he stepped on traps....quite easy in fact....shame i couldnt take his heart as souvenir... but my gnome in rp manner beheaded him with a rusty knife and played with his trophy

f8pt8bvrzgzv.png

xw7boje37tky.png

Another area in pocket plane got open, this gave more challenge, i managed put some traps one shotting semaj, the traps dont shoot my doppelganger which is strange, but with summons i overwhelmed him

qaz64h3qsrlh.png

stll9r8ytnx2.png

In the last image a monk brutally beaten a priest to death, my character standed idly enjoying the free entertainment.

In next episode we are going to murder a lot of blueish drows, stay tuned !

Hey, do U play on normal diff. here? Good luck anyway! 👍
    edited February 2023
    Im playing on tactical SCS, but no ascension. :)

tactical is like core rules i think.
    So our GNOME finally came to Sendai asking for a challenge and we will get one for sure....

pa0fzcpl63jc.png

msc39l37hy7z.png

Nothing that sendai threw at me is remotely a problem, traps and summons mop everything...

But now the most hard fight in the game, IMO... im gonna be at this fight for a while, may even be end of walkthrough

theres no save scumming, no weaving between areas...

the most annoying part are the death spells that can clean all summons....they are brootal, and drow just keep pouring in... :'(

f45gg72egt3z.png

Is this the END of my game...or will we make it ???

After at least 45 min battle....we WON

thats right, our GNOME stands victorious and will claim his rightful throne of power

Super hard , long battle, 45 min at least of running around arena slinging drows...

3zlrpzcmo7co.png

Once the sendai clones are weak and lose moral, its possible run opposite side and save scum,

i ran out of summons, look at that caranage !!! i summons like 4 pit fiends

i died once in her final version, shes quite op, starts with implosion wich can be devastating, and she abuses creeping doom, but with ring of gaxx our GNOME stands healthy

she uses stoneskins like 8 times, her summons are infinite ??' i cant say, but turn undead makes her skellies mine and helps against her spiders, eventually she drops

apj2rx23rjtu.png

mmvagnya4nmh.png

g7jr61vqe0uu.png

Our gnome reduced the world drow population probably by 2 digits in this area,

in next episode theres dragon roasted meat !!

Abazigal dead too.... my gnome climbed upon his dragon body, pulled down his pants and dropped a big turd on his chest... guess eating his son barbecued gave my gnome diarrhea

At some point he blinded me, which i thanked so i can put traps immediately below him , next the bald monk, were gonna give him a better hairline

4jg0jzp1f9t4.png
    Mellisan is extremely tough, while im restricted to summoning 6 crappy tokens like hobgoblins, she has over 12 at same time , hakeshar,efreti, nishru, sometimes death tyrant jesus, and a bs slayer shadow that for some reason is immune to turn undead. She must have 6 earthquakes because she has no problem abusing that crap, its tough man, really tough. I try decapitate some stuff with silver sword but never happens.
    ... and a bs slayer shadow that for some reason is immune to turn undead.

That's because it's not undead. It's demonic, as you really should have expected from something that looks like the Slayer. It's also not that hard to tank; THAC0 5 (slashing), only 1d6+2 physical and 1d6 cold damage, and level drain which your solo character should definitely be running immunity to. Lots of attacks per round, but if you keep your defenses up you can ignore it for a while.

Death Tyrants are undead, though. Those, you can steal with Turn Undead. And then the scripting ... actually, that might be a problem. Beholder scripts are very much designed around attacking the party, and may not work properly if their allegiance changes. Then Mel will splat it with her own version of Turn Undead, and you've at least gotten rid of the thing.

As for Melissan herself, her spellcasting is all on timers. She doesn't care about memorization; basically everything is unlimited if the fight goes on long enough.

The Silver Sword ... look, you're wielding a weapon without proficiency, and it's something you put together back in SoA. You'd have to hit (-3 non-proficiency penalty, +3 enchantment bonus for a net 0 modifier), you'd have to get lucky on that 25% chance, and you'd have to have the enemy fail the save. All at one attack per round, or two with haste. For something that she can just summon again a couple rounds later. Stick to the weapons your character is actually good with, and focus on actually making progress in the fight.

Well, at least this fight is the last one you should have to worry about. Rounds two, three, and four with Mel should be a snap.