Skip to content

Patch release?

I was just wondering how long do you think it will take till the fix for the most annoying bugs is released? I have plenty of time for gaming right now, so I would like to know whether it will be sometimes during these days or it will take week or more?

Comments

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    There is a hotfix in the works, but the team is also trying to get the iPad and Mac versions on the market.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I think it would be a high priority. Surely many of the gameplay related issues will be common across all platforms? Getting those plugged before release would be a good PR saving exercise.
  • AlderonAlderon Member Posts: 53
    Given how many people are experiencing almost game-breaking bugs, (just look at the bug report forum) I think it should be a top priority to get a patch out. We are paying customers after all, who - at the moment- have an inferior, broken product.

Not good.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Which bugs are almost game-breaking? Other than hardware issues, all I noticed are a few minor bugs that are far from game-breaking.

"Inferior, broken product" - way to go with hyperbole.
  • KildorKildor Member Posts: 14
    How about Multiplayer not working without 3rd party software? The game just CTD if you try to connect to someone.

How about not being able to un-pause after resting indoors/dungeons because there's no movie file? (at least in Multiplayer, not sure how it works in Single Player)

Those are pretty game-breaking scenarios imo.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    They said out of the gate that they wouldn't have time to perfect the multiplayer, they're working on a matchmaking system.
    It'll be fixed.
    But, ok, we call that one multigamebreaking,if you like.
    Most other bugs are insignificant, and will be rectified when the hardware issues is fixed.
    Those were unavoidable, as they always are with every single game ever released.
    There's just too many combinations of drivers and hardware out there, it just can't be tested. Impossible for a small team and beta team.

There's already loads if fixes here on the forums, lots of people have had issues resolved.
  • DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    edited November 2012
    I have to agree with @Bytebrain and @Kilivitz. I'm no dev, but the vast majority of issues I've seen reported so far are from people who haven't checked their own end first. The number of people complaining about lag on Intel Mobile GPU's for example, however justified, was something that had been warned about days in advance, something that we were told would be worked on, and still people occasionally hammer on about it as if they were the only ones suffering.

I understand, really I do, and I dont mean to seem insulting, but really guys, as frustrating as these issues are, most are either being worked on ( so please be patient ) or are solveable with driver updates.

'Tis the nature of PC gaming. :)
  • KildorKildor Member Posts: 14
    I will agree issues are end-user, but really, having Multiplayer not work on release?

Yes, I've found work-arounds, in both that I can play MP and Rest without being stupid in pause mode, but don't they have a QA department?

I mean, did anyone even play Multiplayer and realize they couldn't rest?

Don't get me wrong, I love BG etc. Which is why I was so determined to figure out work-arounds so that we could enjoy Multiplayer, I just wish that they would have announced that they are releasing the game, but Multiplayer doesn't work without 3rd party software.
  • ivorivor Member Posts: 3
    If I were in charge of management, I would block all other releases on other platforms until main bugs on PC version are sorted out. And yes multiplayer is fundamental, me and other 4 friends bought this game only with the hope of playing multiplayer, with this feature being completely neglected we have advised all other people that wanted to join our party to not buy it until we say is playable. And obviously, I would do some beta test before release. I bought the PC copy of the game and if it worked I would like to buy Ipad version, but until I see my PC version working (by this I mean not crashing on start) I will defenetly not buy other products from this franchise.
  • PsychoblondePsychoblonde Member Posts: 14
    Kilivitz said:

Which bugs are almost game-breaking? Other than hardware issues, all I noticed are a few minor bugs that are far from game-breaking.

"Inferior, broken product" - way to go with hyperbole.

How about the Rasaad infinite dialog loop bug?
    edited November 2012
    Beamdog expects to sell the majority of the copies in the App Store. I believe getting the Apple version approved is probably a higher priority than fixing the glitches in the PC version. However, they are actively working, and have made a priority on the 3 major PC bugs.

1 -Windows XP Crash (Wait for hotfix or install this)
    2 -Crash on press play or after character creation (wait for hotfix or try installing into a directory like c:\BGEE)
    3 -Intel GPU issues. (Update drivers here. & Find baldur.exe in the data folder and run it in compatibility mode for Windows 95).

I've tested BGEE on an Intel G35 (GMA X3500) GPU and the game runs OK with the Win95 mode. It's not as good as my high end system, but it is still playable. Increase mouse and keyboard scroll speed as well helps.

I've encountered zero game breaking bugs. The ones I have seen are UI glitches, that closing and reopening the window fixes. Also the mage that Neera makes disappear comes back and just sits there.

3 UI Glitches
    1 Ememy Game bug

Now, I'm only a few hours in, so I may see more.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    edited November 2012
    I'd agree that most of these bugs are not gamebreaking as a new post surfaced today where the fellow just finished the whole game but said he had a bug with the closing sequence, so it can't be that bad.
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203

Beamdog expects to sell the majority of the copies in the App Store. I believe getting the Apple version approved is probably a higher priority than fixing the glitches in the PC version.

That was my worry. I guess I will rather wait one more month then until the game works fine...
    This thread has a ton of fixes for people.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Kildor said:

Don't get me wrong, I love BG etc. Which is why I was so determined to figure out work-arounds so that we could enjoy Multiplayer, I just wish that they would have announced that they are releasing the game, but Multiplayer doesn't work without 3rd party software.

It was announced the Multiplayer fixing will be part of a later update. What might be criticized is the announcement wasn't clear enough, the team should have made the information part of the FAQ, but it was public.

• gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    While I have not encountered game breaking bugs yet (I had a near crash in Nashkel where the game stopped responding, but after ctr+alt+del and switching back to app it recovered) there are other annoying issues, like from time to time characters not following the move command or the weird looking text in item description.

As it is now, it has more issues than the original fully patched and it looks worse. By no means an enhanced edition in its current state.
  • FunkballsFunkballs Member Posts: 3
    I've tried everything in the master technical thread and I'm still stuck with a crash on launch bug with latest video drivers and Windows 7. Seeing that there are not one but several different crash on launch bugs, some with workarounds and some without and a LOT of open bug threads with no solutions I'd much rather a decent patch that makes the game playable rather than an ipad version.

Especially when the original 1998 version works fine I'm not really feeling my $20 worth.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I strongly recommend for this patch to make game works on computers that meets minimal system requirements. That's basic.
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    Wow, I have just read that the sounds issues are caused by X-Fi cards. I have X-Fi Titanium and had one issue, in house in Candleceep all the sounds disappeared. I hope that´s not the cause :(
    Mathuzzz said:

Beamdog expects to sell the majority of the copies in the App Store. I believe getting the Apple version approved is probably a higher priority than fixing the glitches in the PC version.

That was my worry. I guess I will rather wait one more month then until the game works fine...
    They just released the hotfix patch today for major issues. Otherwise, *Note* I said "glitches". Minor bugs are not going to be addressed right away.

• PencilPencil Member Posts: 16
    Are the patch notes psoted anywhere? Does multiplayer with 2+ players work at all yet?
  • lolwutlolwut Member Posts: 1
    We need a patch and we need it fast, the varity of reported bugs is staggering. I was reluctant to pre-order this game and how I see it I was right in waiting.

(I have been disappointed way to much by re-released RPGs or continued games: Realms of Arkania re-release by Joowod, Gothic3, Neverwinter Nights (Un)complete Edition just to name a few)

I really looked forward to the release but it seems the team failed, I expected the game to run much more stable when it got delayed.

Thing is I really want to get the enhanced version but in its current state and the way the game is distributed I just cannot justify spending 20 bucks - Because it may well be that it might not work on my machine and Beamdog is another "DRM-ridden" service I would have to use for a possible not working game.

I admit that I am currently tempted to check a pirated version first (But the Goody two-shoes guy in me is resisting that temptation) to check if it would run and then wait for a patch and/or another distributer before I become a paying customer.

(I own three different versions of the Original Baldurs Gate 1+2, two retail and one digital)

Working on Ipad/Mac version should be stopped so you can bind all powers to fix the already released buggy version. Delay the Apple stuff for two month, the customers who already paid for your product deserve it!

The sheer varity of reported bugs suggests that qualityassurance didn't do a good job or that the team knew full well of the bugs but released anyway for the sake of profit.
    edited December 2012
    Pencil said:

Are the patch notes psoted anywhere? Does multiplayer with 2+ players work at all yet?

No, functional multi-player will be part of a later upgrade. It has been annouced so a few months ago, and with all the bug-fixing for the game itself that needs to be done, I don't see that upgrade speeding up yet.

*edit: and before any misunderstanding arises: upgrade doesn't mean it's something you need to pay extra for. There will be paid DLC added in the future, but there will also be free upgrades to the game, multi-player support being one of them, if i remember well.

• ST4TICStrikerST4TICStriker Member Posts: 162
    lolwut said:

We need a patch and we need it fast, the varity of reported bugs is staggering. I was reluctant to pre-order this game and how I see it I was right in waiting.

(I have been disappointed way to much by re-released RPGs or continued games: Realms of Arkania re-release by Joowod, Gothic3, Neverwinter Nights (Un)complete Edition just to name a few)

I really looked forward to the release but it seems the team failed, I expected the game to run much more stable when it got delayed.

Thing is I really want to get the enhanced version but in its current state and the way the game is distributed I just cannot justify spending 20 bucks - Because it may well be that it might not work on my machine and Beamdog is another "DRM-ridden" service I would have to use for a possible not working game.

I admit that I am currently tempted to check a pirated version first (But the Goody two-shoes guy in me is resisting that temptation) to check if it would run and then wait for a patch and/or another distributer before I become a paying customer.

(I own three different versions of the Original Baldurs Gate 1+2, two retail and one digital)

Working on Ipad/Mac version should be stopped so you can bind all powers to fix the already released buggy version. Delay the Apple stuff for two month, the customers who already paid for your product deserve it!

The sheer varity of reported bugs suggests that qualityassurance didn't do a good job or that the team knew full well of the bugs but released anyway for the sake of profit.

Care to name some game breaking bugs? (Ones that are not hardware related)

• Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    Hi,
    I installed the new version of BG:EE Launcher, and since after I can't go past the Please wait... screen. The game crushes, with the ERROR MESSAGE: Launcher has encountered problems and it has to stop. How can I remove the new launcher quickly? How can I return to not patched state with 2nd computer already patched? Pls. help, I dedicated this day to play with my wife.

Expected behavior: the Game should work with the new Launcher now updated.

Failure:
    The not working machine has WinXP, 3rd Service Pack. I couldn't download the patch. Only the new Launchers. (It asked me two times.)
    The 2nd computer is Win7, I could download the patch there, and there was no problem.

Thanks for your quick answer,
  • Capac_AmaruCapac_Amaru Member Posts: 21

This thread has a ton of fixes for people.

The fact this game requires this amount of user effort to fucntion is disgusting.

• IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    @Capac_Amaru Just think about what happens if you port a console game to the PC - and now think about what happens if that console game is no console game at all but was first a pc game...

In my opinion, of course i can not say if it is true, but at least the facts seem to imply such a resolution, they made first the tablet version, ported it to the pc, which created not only trouble with lower resolution artwork but instead also opened the door to many technical troubles.

PC - tablet is the way, not pc - tablet - pc production order ;)

But as i said, i dont know if it is true. But since thinking is not forbidden, here my result, no offense :)
  • ScofieldScofield Member Posts: 119
    Are there still so many bugs like broken NPC lines and the reported problems with the new NPCs? Should I start playing or should I wait for other patches in order to have an enjoyable gameplay without serious bugs?

I've been playing around with it, but I'd like to start my "serious" run through as I've planned, but I'm afraid that I'm gonna run into issues that brake my gameplay. So those with plenty of BGEE experience, what do you recommend?

To play or not to play (yet), this is the question.
    edited December 2012
    @Scofield: I just went with a character that was meant to try out the game, without too much involvement of my part in fleshing him out. I did pick both non-evil NPC's to try them out, but as I suspected the game at release would still need to see patches and mods wouldn't be available straight away, I keep serious party-ideas up my sleeve for some more months, when the game will be patched, WeiDu is compatible, some of the essential mods are combatible. For me, playing on release is just a dress rehearsal.
  • ScofieldScofield Member Posts: 119
    @Son_of_Imoen That's exactly how I plan to do things as well. So I guess my serious party has to wait.