Skip to content

Servers down?

I got booted offline, and now the servers list won't populate/ nwn.ee

Comments

• Drizzt1180Drizzt1180 Member Posts: 41
    Same here. Looks like the API can't be contacted to retrieve the server list.

l4jfwtwlhmo7.png
  • KazzeusKazzeus Member Posts: 1
    Getting the same message. :(
    I tweeted at them about it, but I'm not sure there will be any response at this hour. Fingers crossed.
  • VataraVatara Member Posts: 9
    Getting the same issues. Cannot populate servers. Thank you for early reporting!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Thanks for the report.
  • AetherealAethereal Member Posts: 8
    As a result of the Beamdog server list being down. I am looking for assistance with this error (last reference to it was a post in 2020 by Symphony in response to it occuring for a LAN hosted game) when attempting to direct connect to one of the servers usually listed by Beamdog (The Easting Reach, Direct IP: 172.105.95.114:5121).
    The game server that you are connecting to was unable to verify your password. The game server has opted to not allow players to join unless their password can be verified. Please try again later.
    image.png

I have confirmed that the server has disabled the player password requirement and that it is otherwise online. So I wonder how this issue can be resolved, as it would be very helpful should the Beamdog server listings come down at any point that we have a backup way of accessing this PW, or any other in fact. I'm noticing this error does not come up for all PWs so some have managed to resolve the issue.
  • Old_GithOld_Gith Member Posts: 152
    Still down here on the East Coast at 0606 hours.
    edited April 2023
    Aethereal wrote: »
    As a result of the Beamdog server list being down. I am looking for assistance with this error (last reference to it was a post in 2020 by Symphony in response to it occuring for a LAN hosted game) when attempting to direct connect to one of the servers usually listed by Beamdog (The Easting Reach, Direct IP: 172.105.95.114:5121).
    The game server that you are connecting to was unable to verify your password. The game server has opted to not allow players to join unless their password can be verified. Please try again later.
    image.png

I have confirmed that the server has disabled the player password requirement and that it is otherwise online. So I wonder how this issue can be resolved, as it would be very helpful should the Beamdog server listings come down at any point that we have a backup way of accessing this PW, or any other in fact. I'm noticing this error does not come up for all PWs so some have managed to resolve the issue.

Essentially, the servers that are still "working" have opted not to enforce CD key checking against the master server. The error reports a password issue, but it's really not.

In the settings.tml file in the user profile directory, you can change the following from "always" to "if-reachable," presumably when the servers are back online.
    [masterserver]
    	[masterserver.key-authentication]
    		mode = "always"

Currently when I try to set this on my PW, the server just reverts it back to "always," so I'm assuming the master servers need to be online in the first place for this setting to take effect.
    Post edited by Drizzt1180 on
    Update: The API seems to respond now, but still doesn't return the server list:

mcmxdipsrxli.png
    9:50AM EST and the server is still down, though I do believe where they are, its still 2 hrs till they open, assuming of course they open at 9 am.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    The office opened up 3 mins ago. The team will be looking into this.
  • ArithonMArithonM Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2023
    Drizzt1180 wrote: »

In the settings.tml file in the user profile directory, you can change the following from "always" to "if-available," presumably when the servers are back online.
    [masterserver]
    		mode = "always"

Currently when I try to set this on my PW, the server just reverts it back to "always," so I'm assuming the master servers need to be online in the first place for this setting to take effect.

When I changed this on our PW, and then stop/start the server, the setting changes and the server allows player connections.

However, I've decided to leave it as "always" for the moment as I assume that is the safer option according to the following:

The setting being on "always" makes it reject incoming clients who are not valid according to the master server (ie they have a valid copy of the game, and their CD key isn't faked etc.)

Details: https://nwn.wiki/display/NWN1/Game+Options
    The issue has been resolved. Thanks for your patience!
    Thank you for your quick actions, its REALLY appreciated
  • CometchaserCometchaser Member Posts: 4
    Looks like beamdog servers have gone down again. I'm getting the same issue as yesterday.

aswo9l3vjw4u.png
    Same here. @JuliusBorisov is it too late to take another look?
    Tweeted at them again. Hopefully the offices are still open and they can respond.
    Having the same issue.
    its only 3pm for them, so hopefully their open.
    image.png

Essentially, the servers that are still "working" have opted not to enforce CD key checking against the master server. The error reports a password issue, but it's really not.

In the settings.tml file in the user profile directory, you can change the following from "always" to "if-reachable," presumably when the servers are back online.
    [masterserver]
    		mode = "always"

Thank you kindly, Drizzt1180. We will look to implementing this now that the Beamdog master server is up, simply to avoid disruption if/when the main server goes down again.
  • kitiarawoofmoonkitiarawoofmoon Member Posts: 2
    something needs to be done all servers down and has been an issue now for 2 days..plz fix
    edited April 2023
    something needs to be done all servers down and has been an issue now for 2 days..plz fix

It was briefly fixed but then the Beamdog server list went down again...
    image.png

[masterserver]
    		mode = "always"

Thank you kindly, Drizzt1180. We will look to implementing this now that the Beamdog master server is up, simply to avoid disruption if/when the main server goes down again.

No problem! For what it's worth, I was able to get mine to accept the change before the master servers came back up. Just make sure the server is not running when you make the change, and use "if-reachable" instead of "if-available" like my dumb self was trying to do. :D
    edited April 2023

I would agree at this point that support on this has been unacceptable. Either Beamdog doesn't deem this service important enough to monitor and support 24/7 like any other live service would, or they can't afford to. If the former, I guess they already have our money, so keeping on-call support for a service that like 200 people use isn't worth any money to them.

But then again, this happened the 2nd time while their offices were literally still open for 2+ more hours and nobody from Beamdog even acknowledged it. They don't even consider it important enough to prioritize during workday hours.

This makes it very hard to recommend their games to friends.
  • KushionKushion Member Posts: 1
    Is this why I'm getting the "Attempting To Recover Your Multiplayer CD Key. Receipt receieved. Verifying purchase." infinite loop?
  • ArithonMArithonM Member Posts: 5
    Kushion wrote: »
    Is this why I'm getting the "Attempting To Recover Your Multiplayer CD Key. Receipt receieved. Verifying purchase." infinite loop?

Yes. The Beamdog Master Authentication server is down, so when you try to log in your CD Key can not be verified.

This happened many years ago when EA eventually switched off the authentication server for NWN1. Hopefully this is just an example of poor IT support rather than something similar.
    image.png

[masterserver]
    		mode = "always"

No problem! For what it's worth, I was able to get mine to accept the change before the master servers came back up. Just make sure the server is not running when you make the change, and use "if-reachable" instead of "if-available" like my dumb self was trying to do. :D

Haha, fair enough and that explains a lot. We'll bring the server down first to implement this. Once again thanks for the advice here! It's just the fix that we needed.
    edited April 2023

I would agree at this point that support on this has been unacceptable. Either Beamdog doesn't deem this service important enough to monitor and support 24/7 like any other live service would, or they can't afford to. If the former, I guess they already have our money, so keeping on-call support for a service that like 200 people use isn't worth any money to them.

But then again, this happened the 2nd time while their offices were literally still open for 2+ more hours and nobody from Beamdog even acknowledged it. They don't even consider it important enough to prioritize during workday hours.

This makes it very hard to recommend their games to friends.

This is why we need to remove dependency on Beamdog for the server list. There was a long period of time after the original gamespy servers were brought down where during NWN 1.69, we were all direct connecting and managing without a centralised service (though there was a community server list operating somewhere I think - I only ever played the one server back then so I don't know), as nice as it certainly is to have.

For us, a small PW with a dedicated but equally small playerbase it's important to have the ability to connect regularly to keep our stories and gameplay going so the fix to remove dependency (but still accept when the Beamdog verification server is up) on the Beamdog server list and enable direct connect is fine. It mostly means folks who aren't regulars and know to connect through direct connect will no longer be able to peek in to look around. I.e. server growth will fall back upon word-of-mouth and independent listings instead of the Beamdog server list.
    edited April 2023
    ArithonM wrote: »
    Kushion wrote: »

Yes. The Beamdog Master Authentication server is down, so when you try to log in your CD Key can not be verified.

This happened many years ago when EA eventually switched off the authentication server for NWN1. Hopefully this is just an example of poor IT support rather than something similar.

It could be the beginning of the end. Regardless of whether it is or not, t's always wise to have contingencies in place to minimise disruption.
    edited April 2023
    It went down again, about 11 hours ago. Will be fixed when the office reopens today (in 6 hours). Sorry for this.

Actually, we've just managed to restart the servers.