Skip to content

So I just finished BG:EE today and want to share my opinion about it.

Hello everyone, im an big fan of every game that is about forgotten realms and I was so happy to hear about BG:EE coming out, preordered it ofc and started playing the minute it was possible. I've played BG1, BG2, both IWD's, planescape and every other game about forgotten realms for hundreads of hours with mods and without.

So first I played Black Pits, finished it in around 2 hours, had to reload 3 times through the whole thing, it was fun.. for 2 hours.

After I killed Sarevok (cleared everything in totsc), I felt pretty.. unsatisfied so to say. It was like I would have played BG1 with the mod that lets you play BG1 with BG2 engine. Some graphics were better and little extra stuff added but it felt the same, no extra items, VERY little extra content (Had the blackguard npc and it was like some fan made mod that he made in 30 minutes and he was way overpowered aswell).

So what was the problem?
BG2 skills and kits are way too overpowered, they are not suited for BG1 and it totally ruined the game experience for me, I played berserker main with good stats and she could pretty much solo the whole game after lvl 6.

It was way too easy, I remember struggling with the first few gibberlings back in the day and now my char just demolished them with one hit each, this is all because of the kit that wasnt originally in the game (+15 hp at level 1, seriously?, immune to pretty much everything.. not overpowered at all right?)

BG2 kits and very little extra content ruined it for me, I know it wasnt supposed to be alot but this was just way too easy and way little extra stuff.

Don't take it the wrong way, I enjoyed playing BG1 story again as its been quite a while since I last played it and I will keep supporting everything that has to do with Forgotten Realms but I just wanted to tell my opinion about it, no offence to anyone just my 2 cents.

Comments

• MadaeMadae Member Posts: 24
    edited November 2012
    Well, everyone knew the kits would unbalance the game long before this edition. It simply wasn't made around the increase in power certain classes would have with those enhancements. If you want a challenge, you should definitely play the game as it was meant to be played. This version, or tutu for that matter, were really only about experiencing the story, in my opinion.
  • FuneFune Member Posts: 8
    Yeah I have played BG1 with mods and it was very fun and hard, I guess I just expected a little more.
  • ElnisElnis Member Posts: 14
    Fune:

If you feel it was too easy, why not turn the difficulty up a notch? ;)
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    @Fune if you found this too easy, time to join me in a BGT no reload challenge bro! :D
    That might be something that I would like to try with my friends or something. I've had my fair share of challenge doing BG2 with SCSII and the hardest difficulty setting. BG1 doesnt really offer any fun factor while using the hardest difficulty as in the start you will just save and load after every monster and hope that he wont hit you before you kill them or you will be one shotted, I wouldn't call that "challenge".
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    Exactly, i finished Bg2 with SCS as well on Insane, it took me 6 hours to do the Improved Irenicus battle, that shit was excruciatingly hard, but all too satisfying once completed. The no-reload challenge is done on Core Rules though, and u are allowed to use max HP on level up mod, so it should be more fair.
    Stygga, as I said before I have finished BG1 with many many many different parties, solo, modded and all that stuff, I dont need to play it again with lets say, normal fighter instead of kensai. I just paid the money and finished the game to support the company and hoped to have some fun.

I just said what I thought about it after finishing it, thats all.

AlexDeLarge,

I almost gave up the whole game at Irenicus but after trying many many times I finally finished it and it really was satisfying.
  • BeverastBeverast Member Posts: 10
    Regarding the difficulty it's a shame that something like "ironman mode" was not used as seen on the new Xcom. Only one save game per game. You cannot save without exiting the game, and the game autosaves after each battle, so no reloading. Something like this would definitely up the difficulty...would probably be too hard for me though lol.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    Fune said:

no extra items,

There are bunches of new items. I can see why you'd miss them if you beat the whole game + Black Pits in 2 days, though.
  • GwynnbleidGwynnbleid Member Posts: 17
    @Mechalibur - There are bunches of new itens ? Cool , you know about any new thief good iten ? I dont have the game yet i just waiting for some of the problems get fixed but these are great news for me .
    edited November 2012
    Yeah I guess you can call it "rushing", I just know where every piece of armor and weapon is, tried to scout as best as I could but didn't find anything new. I know for an fact that I missed the 2 new npcs but that was intentional as I was playing an evil party :)

Edit. Well ok I might have found 2-3 new items but thats it :) I expected ALOT more tho, as it takes like 10 minutes to create an item with an program for original bg1 etc.

I guess I will look harder with my good party that im starting soon.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265

@Mechalibur - There are bunches of new itens ? Cool , you know about any new thief good iten ? I dont have the game yet i just waiting for some of the problems get fixed but these are great news for me .

For thieves specifically, not really. They do get more skill points/level now, and there are some new weapons they can use, but it looks like most of the new items are general utility. There's a list of new items players have found so far somewhere in General thread.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    Well, I love the game, but I'm not sure I would enjoy playing it so much that I knew where everything was...
    Wow.
    Kudos to you, sir, for being able to do it. :)
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Huh? It takes me *months* to finish BG the way I play!
  • GwynnbleidGwynnbleid Member Posts: 17
    @Mechalibur - Thanks , oh man , now i dont know if i can wait ...
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    There are new Items everywhere, just found a cool mace, I do house to house search in Beregost ;-)
    Yeah I just started looking and found an halberd. I guess there is a few :)
  • Rush_that_speaksRush_that_speaks Member Posts: 36
    I prefer playing it slow – currently I’m strolling through hostile areas east from Candlekeep and chit-chat with Imoen occasionally (she is rather taciturn). I think we will reach Beregost in a few weeks and who knows… I might just settle down there for a couple of months or years to taste a common life of peasant.

I think I will finish the game sometime in December… but it will be rather December of 2013 ;/
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    You can play roleplay. I mean, in my case, I wont use dual sword, no new kits or characters, only original BG1 content !
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Interesting. Pretty crazy you've beat it already, I can't get it to stop freezing before I get out of Candlekeep.

I actually tweeted Trent months and months ago saying how I was curious how they'd make the BG2 kits and classes work a bit smoother. I think it can also be overwhelming for new players, imagine seeing all these kit options where as in Vanilla BG1 it's more straight forward
  • DeathMachineMiyagiDeathMachineMiyagi Member Posts: 120
    This would be why I'm holding off in-depth gameplay until SCS gets updated. BG1 vanilla is just too easy for my tastes. I want to play with a kit I like AND I want to face a challenge and SCS lets you do both.
  • SiddhamSiddham Member Posts: 31
    LOL!!
    On another thread there's a player complaining because it's too difficult. He wants to be able to give all his party 25 point stats and not have to bother with challenging D&D gameplay.

I'd say you are a bit jaded with BG generally since you have played it multiple times and every whichway.
  • MikePXPMikePXP Member Posts: 54
    I noticed its too easy but I don't think its due to the BG2 engine. I just played through the entire game 6 months ago using TUTU and it was HARD especially the early levels.

As I started EE I was nervous going into battles but in the first area outside of Candlekeep I was beating wolves already? So before I even went to Friendly Arm Inn I thought I would give the ogre with the belt fetish a try and I beat him easily.. the whole game is going like this. Last time I played I was getting destroyed at level 1 by pretty much everything.

Another thing I noticed is that it seems like the mobs are smaller, notably at Gnome Stronghold. Last time I played it seemed like was killing those thing for ever, at least 15-20. This time I think I only had to kill ~10?

Anybody else notice this? Did they dumb this game down some this time or is this my imagination?

I am in no way complaining and it is possible I accidentally played on hard difficulty the last time.
  • wissenschaftwissenschaft Member Posts: 229
    edited November 2012
    Yeah, monster spawns seem to be a lot smaller. I no longer need to worry about huge hordes of Gibblings slaughtering me at the start of the game.

On the other hand, this game is a lot like Dark Souls. If you don't understand the rule system and play blind without knowing anything about whats optimal then the game will be incredibly hard.

Once you know how everything works and where everything is the game becomes so easy that you'll be doing speed runs just to have some kind of challenge.
  • begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
    edited November 2012

Yeah, monster spawns seem to be a lot smaller. I no longer need to worry about huge hordes of Gibblings slaughtering me at the start of the game.

On the other hand, this game is a lot like Dark Souls. If you don't understand the rule system and play blind without knowing anything about whats optimal then the game will be incredibly hard.

Once you know how everything works and where everything is the game becomes so easy that you'll be doing speed runs just to have some kind of challenge.

@wissenschaft Totally agree once you figure things out, everything is easier. The first Time I played BG in 99 I died a lot. Even in BG2 I died a fair amount. I don't die so much any more. The very first Deus Ex I thought was stupid hard after coming from other FPS. After beating it Deus Ex is not so bad anymore.
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    MikePXP said:

I noticed its too easy but I don't think its due to the BG2 engine. I just played through the entire game 6 months ago using TUTU and it was HARD especially the early levels.

As I started EE I was nervous going into battles but in the first area outside of Candlekeep I was beating wolves already? So before I even went to Friendly Arm Inn I thought I would give the ogre with the belt fetish a try and I beat him easily.. the whole game is going like this. Last time I played I was getting destroyed at level 1 by pretty much everything.

Another thing I noticed is that it seems like the mobs are smaller, notably at Gnome Stronghold. Last time I played it seemed like was killing those thing for ever, at least 15-20. This time I think I only had to kill ~10?

Anybody else notice this? Did they dumb this game down some this time or is this my imagination?

I am in no way complaining and it is possible I accidentally played on hard difficulty the last time.

I think its your imagination... As far as Im aware they havent touched original content in that way.. Its probably just luck

• The_Guilty_PartyThe_Guilty_Party Member Posts: 44
    TUTU and BGT both screwed with the original random spawns, making them bigger and more frequent. What you're seeing here is how things actually were back in the day.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    edited November 2012
    MikePXP sounds like you need to increase the difficulty.