Skip to content

freindly inn travel not working

got to the map with friendly inn to north, but attempting to travel to it from top edge of map simply fails, leavng party standing at top edge still. Tried travel via multi areas along top edge, and just triggering quick travel from map . nothing seems to work. am I missing a major clue someplace?

Comments

• jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,700
    I had this behavior when I tried to travel to an area that wasn't in the game any more, i.e. using a save from a modded install in a game where this mod (area) was not installed any more.
    What area do you try to travel to when this happens? Or does the world map never opens? What happens instead when you click on the "travel wheel" sign?
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,872
    Reasons I can think of for overworld travel to fail, when you click on the travel regions at the edge of the map:
    - "You must gather your party before venturing forth". This one won't even bring you to the map screen. If it's a party-required transition, everybody has to be sufficiently close.
    - You haven't unlocked an actual path to the area. In this case, the area will show up as "Destination Unreachable" on the map screen and won't let you click on it.
    - You're trying to travel to the region you're currently in. This one will just dump you back where you were.
  • SixOfSpadesSixOfSpades Member Posts: 44
    edited July 2023
    I see that this is your first post, so it's possible that you're very new to the game and simply missed something very basic. If the mouse pointer doesn't look like a wagon wheel (the "travel wheel" that jastey mentioned) in the spot where you're clicking, then you're trying to cross impassable terrain and the game won't let you leave the map edge from there. True, you say you've tried to "travel via multi areas", so it's quite unlikely that you've tried to walk through cliffs every time, I just want to eliminate that possibility.

One thing you might try, since you're so early in the game, is simply rolling up a new character and seeing if they can travel.
  • drakken_ukdrakken_uk Member Posts: 4
    jmerry wrote: »
    Reasons I can think of for overworld travel to fail, when you click on the travel regions at the edge of the map:

- You haven't unlocked an actual path to the area. In this case, the area will show up as "Destination Unreachable" on the map screen and won't let you click on it.
    - You're trying to travel to the region you're currently in. This one will just dump you back where you were.

the travel wheel opens worldmap, i select friendly inn ( it says 4 hours), nad click"travel". it dups me exactly where i was before opening worldmap.
    ps. i just downloaded the game on steam a few days ago. got no warnings when installing, so i assumed all content instlled ok - but is there a check tool?
    drakken_uk wrote: »
    the travel wheel opens worldmap, i select friendly inn ( it says 4 hours), nad click"travel". it dups me exactly where i was before opening worldmap.
    That's pretty freaky. To gather more information about the problem, try traveling to other map areas: Beregost (south), Larswood (east), and back to the Lion's Way (west).

As far as I know, there is no tool to check for a clean install--what it sounds like you have is a corrupted AR2800.ARE file, and if that's the only problem you can just get a copy of that file from someone else & stick it into your Override folder. But if this is happening on more than just that one map, your game might just be unplayable & hopefully you can get a refund, or at least a free attempt at a reinstall.
    solved... have to travel from right hand edge, (east) not north (top) even tho sign says friendly inn to north...
    It's good that you solved the current instance of this problem, but if it happens again you will almost certainly miss out on some game content, and potentially be unable to advance the Main Plot. That's because the direction from which you exit a map is crucial: It's how you "explore" new map areas to visit, by standing on the edge of your current map and "peeking" over the side. If there are wilderness areas to the south of you, for example, leaving your current area via the northern, eastern, or western edges will not reveal the new, southern territory as a place that you could visit. You have to either look off the southern edge of your current map, or take a more circuitous route through multiple neighboring maps.

I'm obviously not in the room with you while you play, so I don't know how you're using your mouse. But let me reiterate, because this is critical: Slowly move your mouse through & along the narrow boundary where the side of the map fades into black. Really wiggle it around, and watch for where it changes. The regions that make the mouse pointer change to a wagon wheel may be small, but in a functioning game, they are there. (Note: Unless you are, literally, at the very edges of the World Map. But usually, whatever local map you're in has a pretty good "edge of the world" wall made of impassable rocks, trees, or water, to help dispel any player confusion about that.)

The bad news is that, despite my being a long-time guru of the game, I had never heard of anyone having this problem before a couple of weeks ago. Not during the original CD-ROM days, not during the modding years, not when the Enhanced Edition came out, not when it was released on Steam, nothing. But then, suddenly, two users in one week. If this problem was caused by simple operator error, then statistically it would be nearly impossible for the game to go for 25+ years with zero users having this problem, and then suddenly 2 players have it simultaneously. So it's more likely that there is something genuinely bugged in your game code itself, and we here on the forums will probably be unable to help you. You'll have to take it up with the actual game's Support staff (Beamdog), and/or get a refund from Steam. Sorry.