Skip to content

Tactics Remix

morpheus562morpheus562 Member Posts: 277
edited June 5 in BGII:EE Mods
Introduction
It is with great pleasure I have been given permission from Wes to update his original Tactics mod to be compatible with the Enhanced Editions. Tactics Remix adds quite a few optional, but difficult, encounters to BG2:EE and EET aims to make the game more challenging and rewarding.

Many of these components have been drawn from different mod authors; I did not write everything here. In particular, Wes Weimer, Gebhard Blucher, Kensai Ryu, Xyx and Ishan have made contributions. I have gone through, updated the components for the EE's, and redid most of the AI from the ground up. The goal is for the encounters to feel similar to their oBG counterparts with more challenging enemy AI.

You can download the latest release here.

Compatibility
If you are upgrading from an earlier version of this mod, I recommend uninstalling all mod components and replacing all files with the new ones before doing a fresh install. If you choose to use SCS, parts of this mod should be installed before it while other parts should be installed after. These will be clearly outlined during the install process.

Content
Tactics Remix adds quite a few new components, and all of the components are individually optional: you may install some but not others, your choice. I have also broken up the mods into two groups: 1) Add New Encounters and 2) Update Existing Encounters. New encounters should be installed prior to SCS while updates to existing encounters should be installed after SCS (if you, the player, chooses to use SCS).

All of the enemy scripts have been rewritten from scratch and many of the fight mechanics are improved from the old Tactics days. These fights are aimed at being more challenging than the original encounters while removing much of the cheese that players of old remember. These are meant to be BRUTAL. The difficulty slider will alter the overall challenge (e.g. removing undroppable items from enemies to make them easier, less or different enemy spawns, altered enemy prebuffs, etc.). I aim to have a bit of randomness added to the encounters and the scripts are not optimized to always cast the "best" spell. Prebuffs and contingencies/sequencers will vary. Additionally, casters will randomly choose if they will be casting an offensive or a defensive/disabling spell. From there, the enemy scripts will cycle through available spells in the specific category with yet more randomness. Best spells will pop up first, but it is random if the script will choose to cast or pass. This should add a bit of variance to the encounters from reload to reload and hopefully the player enjoys the spontaneity.
Post edited by morpheus562 on

Comments

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Tank you for the mod from a Tactics Mod lover!
    Is there a chance that the improved random encounters in the city will be included in the mod? They add some excitement and risk travelling night time from an area to an other in the town and are also a good source of expendable items like potions and ammo in the old school Wes way: more difficult battles, but also more power to the party (he also introduced the Item Upgrade mod that was meant to go side by side with Tactics, even if they was 2 completely different mods and was possible to use only one of them.
    Also you did not mention Demogorgon and the Fire Giants in ToB, the original Tactics make them quite more difficult then the vanilla ones, what happens with your EE version?
    An other question: is your mod somewhat compatible with this one?
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/41242/tactics-mod-bg2ee-compatibility-conversion-and-beta-test
    Do you think that is possible i.e. to use your mod and install from that other conversion to EE of Tactics the random encounters in the city or other parts that are possibly missing in yours?
  • morpheus562morpheus562 Member Posts: 277
    @gorgonzola regarding those suggestions, I would have to look into them. I do remember that the improved random encounters may have conflicts or some such with SCS installed, and opted to leave out as SCS really does cover this ground well. Same reasoning goes for both Demogorgon and Fire Giants as that mod and others do a lot to update demons and fire giants. I can take another look at fire giants and see what the original Tactics was doing compared to how SCS changes it. Maybe there is room for improvement. It is a different time now than when Tactics was first released, and SCS really is the standard for baseline ai and enemy improvements across the board. To ensure maximum compatibility with SCS, my focus with Tactics Remix is further improving on existing encounters or making the net new ones.

I have no idea how it would go installing that other Tactics and how it would play.
    Thank you for the answer. Also in the old times some people used to play with both Tactics and SCS, but at that time SCS was very different from the one we have now, I was asking because I don't play SCS, most of my playtroughs are done with the old pre EE game and Tactics + some other old mods, I play the EE game mostly vanilla + new quest mods for a more relaxed, less hardcore playing and to play the not evil new NPCs (I never play evil so the vampire and the half orc are not options for me), so for me to have most of the original Tactics preserved is important, including the starting SoA dungeon (that IMHO every player should try at least one time, possibly starting from it and not importing from SoD with up to 500K xp and powerful gear). So I will try to mix your mod and the other one that I linked or if they don't work together I will stick to the other, that is still alpha so not completely tested, but has the most of the original Tactics content.

Still I perfectly understand your goal that is to give to the modern players, that use SCS as default difficulty mode, a way to play Tactics in that modern environment , it may be not perfect for my needs, but is a GREAT contribution for the community of players.
    @gorgonzola don't misunderstand me when I say SCS is a good baseline ai. I've redone the scripts for Tactics Remix from the ground up and would posit they provide a more challenging enemy than the original Tactics. I've also worked to eliminate/reduce the cheese from the enemy and just provide an overall smarter enemy to provide the difficulty boost.
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    edited August 2023
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    An other question: is your mod somewhat compatible with this one?
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/41242/tactics-mod-bg2ee-compatibility-conversion-and-beta-test
    Do you think that is possible i.e. to use your mod and install from that other conversion to EE of Tactics the random encounters in the city or other parts that are possibly missing in yours?

That EETACT mod breaks/disables some of the EE 2.0 functionality and is a ticking bomb due to that. One shouldn't rely on it.
    don't misunderstand me when I say SCS is a good baseline ai................. I've also worked to eliminate/reduce the cheese from the enemy and just provide an overall smarter enemy to provide the difficulty boost.
    I don't misunderstand you, I am convinced that SCS is a great mod and there are many reasons why it has become the most used, often together with item revisions, spell revisions and IWDification. I just dislike to have to adapt to a changed magic system every time I decide to play vanilla or modded and I don't like some of the changes (actually most of them) to the magic system that it introduces, but disabling them would affect the enemy's AI as the enemy mages one is scripted to have those changes in the game. And it is only a very personal taste of mine, I prefer to deal with Tactics mages that use the reallyforcespell script and cheat in so many ways then to deal with 2 different magic systems depending on if I play modded or not.

I would love a difficulty mod that really improves the enemy AI using the vanilla magic system unchanged, possibly it is not possible to have it due to engine limitations, but in some original Tactics encounters like the starting dungeon, the Ritual or the random encounters in the city the enemy spellcasters actually use the vanilla magic system in a very effective way compared to most of the vanilla casters and they do it without cheating, so maybe it could be possible to have such mod. As it does not exist my personal choice is to play with Tactics, with the original game, and vanilla with the EE one, but as I told I see how your work is GREAT for most of the players.

That EETACT mod breaks/disables some of the EE 2.0 functionality and is a ticking bomb due to that. One shouldn't rely on it.
    I did not try it as lately I am not playing much, and when I do it is mostly relaxed vanilla runs (I still have a couple of Tactics play troughs going on my original game installation, but they are in stand by, it is maybe an year since I touched them last time). But I really want to try it for the reasons I outlined before: I love Tactics and I don't like (or better I don't want to adapt my game style to) SCS. Can you please explain, here or maybe even better in the EETACT thread which EE functionality is breaks or disables and which are the risks involved? It could save me a lot of time and effort trying to play that mod in EE if it makes the game prone to bugs and not stable so if you are more precise about it i will really appreciate. Thank you in advance.
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    edited August 2023
    SCS doesn't affect the magic system much (I only know about the MMM nerf) and you don't have to play with SpellRev or ItemRev (I actually agree with you that SpellRev does too many things for the worse - I've attempted to run it once this year and I ended up writing three tweaks to fix kinks even before my character reached level 3).

Also, you can install SCS in a way to not affect the spell system at all, just edit the stratagems.ini file so that all variables under spell system changes are set to 1 prior to installation.

Regardless, the old Tactics has a high chance to disable the script additions of the EE engine, reverting it to the functionality provided by the classic engine. This affects the SoD section of an EET run, might affect some additional EE questlines, prevent some of the argent77 mods to be installed on top of the game if installed after (and prolly threse mods use the EE scripting additions as well). I never did any exact lookups on how many times the reverted functionality is triggered.
    @GraionDilach thank you for the answer.
  • LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212
    edited August 2023
    This mod is coded to work with SCS - Great!
    It is also for EE - also great!

Question - Is Tactics Remix compatible with the classics, with BGT?

The original Tactics is mostly incompatible with SCS. So, if I want both Tactics and SCS then Tactics Remix is the mod to use. I usually play BGT, hence my question about BGT compatibility.
    Tactics Remix is only for the EEs
  • _DD__DD_ Member Posts: 54
    Thank you for your continuous work on this.
    Tactics Remix is further improving on existing encounters or making the net new ones..

I'm not familiar with tactics so I don't know if there is more to adapt but that last part got me curious. I imagine is still too early to ask but, do you have any plan or general ideas about the possible new future encounters?
    _DD_ wrote: »
    Thank you for your continuous work on this.
    Tactics Remix is further improving on existing encounters or making the net new ones..

I'm not familiar with tactics so I don't know if there is more to adapt but that last part got me curious. I imagine is still too early to ask but, do you have any plan or general ideas about the possible new future encounters?

I'm gonna take a look at fire giants to see how the original Tactics altered them in comparison to SCS. Could be room for future tweaks, but no promises. There are other components I have not redone to the EE's like Mae'var, Druid Grove, Torgal, Bodhi, etc. Some of these are because SCS already did the work and I wouldn't be offering anything new and others I need to look at more closely. I'm not sure what the user appetite is for me to do my own unique encounter updates that is not based on anything from the original Tactics. I already updated the BGEE Drizzt encounter, but I don't want to offend tactics purists that prefer it with just what the original provided.
    edited August 2023

I'm gonna take a look at fire giants to see how the original Tactics altered them in comparison to SCS. Could be room for future tweaks, but no promises. There are other components I have not redone to the EE's like
    I'm not sure what the user appetite is for me to do my own unique encounter updates that is not based on anything from the original Tactics............but I don't want to offend tactics purists that prefer it with just what the original provided.
    I already mentioned it in the thread, but I really think that the Tactics starting dungeon is something that should be included (even if in the old times a mod was created to completely skip that dungeon as with Tactics can be very hard). What makes it great is that you still lack of high end equipment and levels and you have very little amount of ranged ammo, making kite tactics impossible. It has been soloed many times with many classes, so is far from impossible, but really forces the player to use the party or the soloing Charname at his best, relying on strong tactics, I did learn more how to play effectively in that dungeon then in any other part of the modded or vanilla game. In that dungeon IMHO the enemy casters are smart enough compared to the vanilla usual casters, probably it should be installed after the SCS smarter mages or, as a party starting in SoA has quite low level casters, it would become almost impossible, the many durgar mages and then the lev 19 cleric are hard enough without needing SCS to improve them for a party that starts with less then 100K xp, importing from SoD probably is possible to play it even with the smarter mages component active.

As I told I don't use SCS so I don't know how it addresses the use of traps on known spawn points, but I really appreciate how the original Tactics has some minor helpers spawn a little earlier then the real enemies so they trigger the traps making them not effective, this forces the player to use the traps in a tactical way, is no more possible to set some spike traps and win a battle automatically, you have to plan and to lure the enemies into them. If SCS does not address the thing in other ways I think that this can be a good improvement also for some encounters that you decide to not improve from the SCS regular way.

And don't be afraid to offend the Tactics purists, I am one of them so I feel entitled to speak for them, as long as the new encounters are optional components of the mod if someone don't like them he is free to skip them, but for other players they can be great new content!

edited August 2023
    I was just made aware that the Baldur's Gate Fandom Wiki has a page for this mod that was created without my awareness nor permission. The page itself is monetized via ad revenue which is abhorrent to me as many have put countless time and effort into this mod for someone else to be able to generate revenue from it. I attempted to remove the page, and it was re-instated and I received a block/ban/suspension (whatever wiki calls it) for my efforts. Plain and simple, this is wrong.

EDIT: Resolution was reached and content was removed.
    Official release for version 0.6-beta which brings the following enhancements:
    • Added Improved Sahuagin City component.
    • Added Morpheus562's Improved Planar Prison Bounty Hunters component.
    • Added Morpheus562's Tougher Githyanki component.
    • Added Morpheus562's Tougher Yuan-ti component.
    • Added Morpheus562's Improved Drizzt (BG2EE) component.
    • Kuroisan rewards tied to the difficulty slider.

• alaisFcZalaisFcZ Member Posts: 28
    great mod! thanks! @morpheus562
  • ArianorrArianorr Member Posts: 15
    Hi, can I ask you, is there still improved MaeVar in tactics remix? (I didnt find it mentioned in SCS - but I never played SCS with BG2), so Im wondering if this great encounter from old tactics will be still available?
    Arianorr wrote: »
    Hi, can I ask you, is there still improved MaeVar in tactics remix? (I didnt find it mentioned in SCS - but I never played SCS with BG2), so Im wondering if this great encounter from old tactics will be still available?

It is in my "to-do" list. Currently, it is not implemented.
  • shevy123456shevy123456 Member Posts: 209
    edited November 2023
    So, first off - props to morpheus for trying to maintain this mod.

The mod has some components that I think are fun:
    - the gnome kensai illusionist
    - kuroisan chasing the party down
    - improved copper coronet and undead guard crypt thingy

Unfortunately the mod is in many ways also AWFUL. Again, this is not
    the fault of morpheus, but of the original author. I understand that it
    means the mod will be difficult on purpose (by design), especially on
    insane. However had, there is a difference between being difficult
    by design - and trolling the player. I think this mod is trolling players,
    similar to the extent planar sphere mod. These are the only two mods
    I consider troll-mods right now. There are some other mods that are
    challenging, but they aren't quite troll-mode material.

Planar sphere mod I already complained about, e. g. re-defining the
    whole area, odd bugs such as perpetual deadlock via infinite timestop
    or the troll-mage final encounter with billion spells and insta-creeping
    doom on startup (what the ...). But anyway that is a separate issue.

I already complained before about the improved irenicus having a
    dragon that is stronger than irenicus (and other companions that
    are stronger). But now I am facing abigazail or so the dragon, and
    of course the usual cold lizard shaman things - and ... another
    dragon ON TOP OF THAT. This also breaks story-wise e. g. abigazail
    having enslaved a dragon to stand guard, but now he is buddy
    with another dragon? What the ...

But of course this isn't enough. The original troll author of this
    mod also added two golems (which are stronger due to the
    golem mod; this is not the fault of the original author, and
    the golem mod is actually a good mod, though it needs tweaking),
    and of course two wyverns. So that added dragon is actually
    even stronger than abigazail. Perma-haste and I can not chase
    him down quickly enough to lock him down via spells and hits;
    and meanwhile abigazail beats my character down.

I know how I can work around some of these issues (magical
    swords are great), but what actually got me into writing this
    complaint, isn't even the totally broken balance mode, but
    the fact that the original author is INDEED trolling us.

How so?

Well - I usually would sneak around and kill the cold lizard
    shaman first. But nope, this time, in the modded garbage
    that is tactics remix, the party is hijacked to RUN UP TOWARDS
    ABIGAZAIL and his tons of companions the moment they
    go too close (which now is the case when you try to SNEAK
    AROUND THE CORNER). So the mod insta-forces you into
    a fight once you move forward, whereas in vanilla you
    can sneak around.

There are other parts of the mods that are annoying,
    such as the various liches in the docks area interfering
    with other mods - why do other mod authors have to
    endure this piece of utter trash? And, of course, to make
    things worse, the mod author typically CLOSES THE EXITS
    SO YOU CAN NOT RUN AWAY. So this is troll level - in
    vanilla games you can run away. Why not here? I don't
    refer this to the issue of abigazail - I think in vanilla
    you can not run out until abigazail is dead. But, boy,
    so many individual things coming together, to really
    award the tactics mod as the biggest troll mod of all
    times.

There are numerous other mods which are great. Some
    are overpowered still (I think Dusk mod is overpowered,
    but I also think Dusk is by far the best NPC overall), some
    are underpowered and need a little slight boost (skitia
    NPCs or so, like that weak archer). But some mods are
    simply total garbage from A to Z. Or, perhaps, let's say
    not 100% garbage but 20% garbage. Tactics remix by
    far takes the cake, even more so than the extended
    planar sphere mod. I'd recommend to simply start anew
    and discard most of the original content. It's not the
    fault of morpheus of course, and I am not objecting
    to having challenging fights (sword coast stratagems
    has a similar objective too) but boy ... so many things
    coming together in tactics remix that this should really
    have to be redone from scratch.

This is probably my last play-through for a long time
    or even permanently. In the coming months I'll see
    and research every now and then how to create mods
    too; let's see how that goes. But if I'll create mods then
    I most certainly will follow in style of good mods, such
    as Lava's mods, Dusk mod and many other mods -
    even if some of them yield fairly powerful items and
    have challenging fights, they are not nearly as broken
    as mods such as tactics remix.

PS: What I also forgot ... I originally did not know how much
    of a troll-mod this is. When I installed improved Irenicus,
    I was not aware that a dragon would emerge. That fight
    was too difficult for me after failing a dozen times or so
    and I just abandoned that run back then a few months
    ago. Now I hit the same issue with another "improved
    xyz" crap again. And my characters have about 8 million
    XP as-is and it's still difficult to no ends. Again, I can adjust
    my own tactics, but I did not expect a DRAGON to be there.

This is simply troll material, of an author who just wanted to
    make it more difficult than it needs to be. The "insta-rush to
    the main bad guy" force in the code is an example of this,
    as well as preventing leaving an area (and there is no good
    in-game explanation for that - why is the area suddenly
    closed? He did not even bother to add a NOTIFICATION as
    to why that happened.)
    edited November 2023
    You are confusing the Abazigal changes with Tactics. I don't touch that. It's Ascension and SCS. I'm going to be perfectly blunt with you: these difficulty mods are not for you. These are not "troll" mods at the higher difficulties, you are just not the right audience for it. I'm not saying this as a negative to you, its just not meant for everyone. Lowering the standard of difficulty of these mods for you is a no-go as that would diminish who these were designed for.

Edited to add: I did rewrite these from scratch and personally increased/altered much of the difficulty.

Regarding Dusk, both Tactics and Back to Brynnlaw were using the area first. I've posted the compatability issue in the owner's forum thread, but it is on the owner of Dusk to resolve.

P.S. I beat the Ascension/SCS Abazigal you're referencing on insane double damage using my scripts and next to no human input (outside of movement). That is a cakewalk fight already and shouldn't have the difficulty lessened in the slightest.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    Thank you, morpheus562, for maintaining this. The Irenicus Tactics fight has been a highlight of my own playthroughs throughout years... It's nice that the mod is being supported again.

I agree that it's not designed to troll players. It's just designed to provide an extra (seemingly insane) challenge to particular players.
    edited November 2023
    Thank you, morpheus562, for maintaining this. The Irenicus Tactics fight has been a highlight of my own playthroughs throughout years... It's nice that the mod is being supported again.

I agree that it's not designed to troll players. It's just designed to provide an extra (seemingly insane) challenge to particular players.

I did change it up a little bit, and I hope you can appreciate the differences between original Tactics and Tactics Remix. I did remove some of the "Trolling" with the item removals the original had, and I made the different phases for Irenicus more distinct.
    . I'm going to be perfectly blunt with you: these difficulty mods are not for you. These are not "troll" mods at the higher difficulties, you are just not the right audience for it. I'm not saying this as a negative to you, its just not meant for everyone. Lowering the standard of difficulty of these mods for you is a no-go as that would diminish who these were designed for.

Regarding Dusk, both Tactics and Back to Brynnlaw were using the area first. I've posted the compatability issue in the owner's forum thread, but it is on the owner of Dusk to resolve.
    Agreed, mods that were created first are not supposed to be compatible with other mods that was born after them.
    And surely Tactics is not for everyone and it has to maybe be modernized, but preserving its nature not only because some players like that kind of trolling super difficult mods, but also because it is a big part of BG2 history, back in the old days, before SCS was born, it was The Mod, the one all the players that wanted a more challenging experience after mastering the vanilla game was playing.
    Thank you for giving to the users of the Enhanced Edition the possibility to play it preserving it true to its original nature, some players will love it, some others hate it, exactly as it was in the old days.

• brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Remember in my last run I considered tactics a few years ago but went with SCS / Ascension and afraid of bugs or breaking…interested though in new encounters if now compatible with EE but still want to use SCS
    edited January 17
    brunardo wrote: »
    Remember in my last run I considered tactics a few years ago but went with SCS / Ascension and afraid of bugs or breaking…interested though in new encounters if now compatible with EE but still want to use SCS

I haven't tested against SCS v35 (though I'm guessing it is compatible), but tactics remix is guaranteed compatible with v34.3 and ascension. Look at the readme (and installer) to tell you which components of tactics remix to install before SCS and which to install after scs.
  • shevy123456shevy123456 Member Posts: 209
    So this is just an idea - nobody has to implement it. I am doing this mostly as a "brain exercise" to generate new ideas for it.

Some things got solved in between, even if only indirectly. For instance, the Dusk NPC now has another hideout place (which looks nicer, too), and thus does not conflict with Brynnlaw or Tactics remix anymore.

Let's say we would do a complete re-do-over.

I would add two major themes to it, a bit more like a quest:

- The Bountyhunter Guild.
    - Kangaxx' rise to power.

So what is the idea here?

For the first, the bountyhunter, we can say that Kuroisan, the gnome-kensai in the Docks area and the red badge encounter
    all come from a bountyhunter guild that tries to kill the bhaalspawn.

To keep the old history alive, we add a new area where there is a guildhall for bounty hunters and not all of them hunt only the bhaalspawn. It's a guild where others can hire people to kill something; or in the case of Kuroisan be a free agent that sometimes comes to the guild.

We may need a few more enemies here. The idea is, though, to connect that bounty hunter theme together, so that rather than decoupled events, it becomes more of a theme and a storyline. And when the player has completed, say, 6, they may meet the final boss and fight him at the bountyhunter guild place. Something like that.

The other idea, Kangaxx rise to power, explains the variety of liches. Perhaps the lichdom mod could be of help here too. Kangaxx defeated the other mages and turned them into slave liches. That would explain why there are so many of them.

Perhaps also add a few fighters with runed tattoos that protect liches in melee. Perhaps the lichdom mod has some ideas how to connect all the liches. Or Kangaxx may not be completely destroyed yet and instead fled to his container, which then lateron gets truly destroyed. With some dungeon type where even more liches are. (Perhaps just a ToB component or something).

Anyway these are just some rough ideas to make tactics remix a bit more storyline focused while still being PRIMARILY focused on challenging encounters.
    No. The characters introduced in Tactics all have their own backstory and reason for being there created by their respective original creators. I personally do not like what you suggest and I don't think it is something that is necessary for the mod.
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    I was in Planar prison. Fall down to the pit with gith fighters...........................................

HOLY FUCKING HELLL!!

MORE !!!!!!!!!!
  • DrAzTiKDrAzTiK Member Posts: 58
    where has gone the revisited troll component from original tactics ? it was a good component, making troll getting more damage resistance but removing the annoying need to finish them with fire or acid.