Skip to content

Announcing Love Conquers All (LCA) – Corwin Romance Mod for EET

lcaeetlcaeet Member Posts: 29
edited September 2023 in BGII:EE Mods
Announcing Love Conquers All (LCA) – Corwin Romance Mod for EET

Update 2023-09-30 - Version 1.0 is released! See the link below.

This EET mod gives the player the ability to add Captain Corwin to their party in SoA. She can be added once the player recovers the Soultaker dagger from the Djinn in Irenicus’ stronghold. After recovering the dagger, the player can send it, along with a letter, to Baldur’s Gate. Doing so will initiate a series of events that culminates in Corwin’s arrival in Athkatla, to assist the player in the hunt for Irenicus. Players can continue the romance with Corwin through the events of SoA and ToB, or they can initiate the romance during the events of SoA.

Features
- Adds Corwin as a playable character to SoA and ToB
- Adds Caelar as a playable character in ToB
- Over 200 new dialogs with SoA / ToB characters
- Dozens of new items, quests, cutscenes and more

Major Storyline Changes
1. The addition of Captain Corwin to SoA / ToB.
2. Modifications to key BG1 & SoD dialogues that help facilitate Corwin’s return in SoA.
3. If Corwin is in your party at the end of SoA, you will return to Baldur’s Gate (instead of proceeding immediately to ToB). This initiates a mini-quest involving Illasera and Rohma that leads in to the events of ToB.

There are a handful of other side quests you can do while in Baldur’s Gate.
a. Slaver Conspiracy
b. Tianna’s Problem
c. Engagement Ring (if the player is in a romance with Corwin)
d. Saving the Elfsong
e. Returning the Farseer

ToB also includes a quest to rescue Caelar from Avernus.

Current Release: https://github.com/LCA-EET/LCA/releases
GitHub Project Page: https://lca-eet.github.io/LCA/
Post edited by lcaeet on

Comments

• TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 612
    Congrats for the release !

I'm already trying other mods currently, but I will give it a shot when I can. :)

Did you take into account some others mods like Lave's Skie cost of a girl's soul which also used the soul dagger ? Or Black Hearts, which greatly improved the Illasera character with appearance in BGEE ?
  • FrenzgynFrenzgyn Member Posts: 80
    Cheers for the release!
  • MothorMothor Member Posts: 246
    Impressive... :o

Can it be also played with EE alone sans EET?
  • lcaeetlcaeet Member Posts: 29
    Mothor wrote: »
    Impressive... :o

Can it be also played with EE alone sans EET?

Unfortunately, no. At least not yet. There's a lot of bouncing back and forth between areas from the different games, and I'd need to figure out how to carry forward certain events at the conclusion of SoD. If there's enough interest, I can work on an EE-only version, but it will require some effort.
    Trouveur wrote: »

I'm already trying other mods currently, but I will give it a shot when I can. :)

Did you take into account some others mods like Lave's Skie cost of a girl's soul which also used the soul dagger ? Or Black Hearts, which greatly improved the Illasera character with appearance in BGEE ?

No, not on this release. It's on the drawing board for a future version though ;)
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 612
    lcaeet wrote: »
    Trouveur wrote: »

No, not on this release. It's on the drawing board for a future version though ;)
    Good to know, now I just need to find a good main character concept for trying Corwin. ;-)
    Hey folks, v1.0 of the mod has been released. Enjoy!

https://lca-eet.github.io/LCA/
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 545
    Congrats ! This sounds lie quite the sizeable project, and by the looks of it you have done an exemplary job integrating it with the story of the games.
    Isewein wrote: »
    Congrats ! This sounds lie quite the sizeable project, and by the looks of it you have done an exemplary job integrating it with the story of the games.

Thanks! I hope you enjoy it.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 545
    edited October 2023
    I will make sure to give it a try in my annual run this winter. Would you say it's worth it for the friendship and/or quest content alone? My Romance mod pile of shame is far too large, and yet I really wanted to try the "new" Xan ending (new as in over a decade old by now as well)...
    Isewein wrote: »
    I will make sure to give it a try in my annual run this winter. Would you say it's worth it for the friendship and/or quest content alone? My Romance mod pile of shame is far too large, and yet I really wanted to try the "new" Xan ending (new as in over a decade old by now as well)...

Yeah, I think so. You'd only miss out on maybe 10 or 15% of the content.
  • LawfulStupidLawfulStupid Member Posts: 45
    I'd love to see a EE version of this. The way things end with Corwin in SOD was quite unsatisfying. Also, I never liked how the transition from SOA to TOB was handled. It always felt like a couple chapters in the middle of the story got edited out. Happy to see someone working to fill the gap.
    I'd love to see a EE version of this. The way things end with Corwin in SOD was quite unsatisfying. Also, I never liked how the transition from SOA to TOB was handled. It always felt like a couple chapters in the middle of the story got edited out. Happy to see someone working to fill the gap.

You're the second or third person to ask for an EE version. I'm working on another project, probably through the end of this year, but I might have time to work on an EE version for next spring.
  • TrevimusPrimeTrevimusPrime Member Posts: 28
    Apologies if this has been asked. Is a whole new play through recommended for this? Or does it have to be from the start of Dragonspear? or a particular point in Dragonspear?

cheers
    Apologies if this has been asked. Is a whole new play through recommended for this? Or does it have to be from the start of Dragonspear? or a particular point in Dragonspear?

cheers

There's some new BG1 content, including an ammo belt left behind in Corwin's house in BG, but it's not so much to force a playthrough beginning in BG1. Starting in SoD is fine.

cheers

There's some new BG1 content, including an ammo belt left behind in Corwin's house in BG, but it's not so much to force a playthrough beginning in BG1. Starting in SoD is fine.

Thanks for the Quick Response. Ive just finished Dragonspear, but have no issues redoing if it nets me more content. Wasnt expecting to get so Pro Corwin on this run!
    Just came across a possible bug. I had the first camp cutscene trigger, and afterwards Corwin dissapeared. She is still in the party, but not visible. Tried a few workarounds (Ctrl J to another part of the map, teleport to a completely different map) but for whatever reason, shes just gone.

I have had this cutscene trigger correctly once, but since have been able to consistantly replicate. Am I correct in thinking that by skipping this I wont impact the romance?

cheers
    Just came across a possible bug. I had the first camp cutscene trigger, and afterwards Corwin dissapeared. She is still in the party, but not visible. Tried a few workarounds (Ctrl J to another part of the map, teleport to a completely different map) but for whatever reason, shes just gone.

I have had this cutscene trigger correctly once, but since have been able to consistantly replicate. Am I correct in thinking that by skipping this I wont impact the romance?

cheers

That's odd. She should be in the same location that she was just before the cutscene started. And yes, that cutscene won't impact the romance at all. If you can, please e-mail me a copy of your save game. Thanks!
    I wasn't able to reproduce the issue, unfortunately. From your description, I believe that "bdunhide" was not always being called on Corwin at the conclusion of the cutscene, so I moved the call to a different script. The change is included in the new version. Let me know if you run into any more issues, thanks!

https://github.com/LCA-EET/LCA/releases
  • CrowspearCrowspear Member Posts: 7
    I would love to see this mod in EE, so when you ever have time to do that it would be greatly appreciated.
    Crowspear wrote: »
    I would love to see this mod in EE, so when you ever have time to do that it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, yes I hope to have it ready sometime in the Fall of '24.
  • RyuuseiRyuusei Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2023
    Is it OK to play through this with a save file starting in BG2 SoA from scratch? I have a save file that's already completed Dragonspear, but don't have any from before then that could play SoD again.

Beyond that, so happy to see this mod! I've been waiting for something that brings proper closure to SoD, and it looks like this does just that! Congratulations!
    edited December 2023
    Ryuusei wrote: »
    Is it OK to play through this with a save file starting in BG2 SoA from scratch? I have a save file that's already completed Dragonspear, but don't have any from before then that could play SoD again.

Beyond that, so happy to see this mod! I've been waiting for something that brings proper closure to SoD, and it looks like this does just that! Congratulations!

Hi, it should work, but you'll need to manually set a variable to indicate whether the player had a friendly or romantic relationship with Corwin at the end of SoD. To do so:

1. Open the LCA Assistant. (Abilities -> LCA Assistant*. The icon is that of a white hand.)
    2. Select option 9 (Open Debugger).
    3. Select option 1 (Proceed).
    4. Select option 43 (Adjust variables).
    5. Select either option 110 (Friend) or option 111 (Romance).
    6. Select option 56 to close the debugger.

You may also want to set the following variables, depending on the actions that you took in SoD:

Option 94 (If you met Rohma in SoD)
    Option 100 (If Corwin was in your party during the events in Avernus)
    Option 103 (If Corwin witnessed the duel between the player and Ashatiel)

This should be done as soon as you start the game, ideally while still in Irenicus' fortress. When Corwin joins you in Athkatla, there is a possibility that she will spawn without any gear, but since you are continuing a save game that played through SoD, the script should copy whatever gear she had (either equipped or in her inventory) as of the end of SoD.

In the next version, I'll add some new logic to check if the game is being started in SoA, so that these steps won't be needed in the future.

Enjoy!

*Note: If the LCA Assistant ability does not automatically appear in Player 1's special abilities, then save the game and reload it. For whatever reason, new games don't always start the BALDUR.BCS script, but a reload fixes the issue.
    I wasn't able to reproduce the issue, unfortunately. From your description, I believe that "bdunhide" was not always being called on Corwin at the conclusion of the cutscene, so I moved the call to a different script. The change is included in the new version. Let me know if you run into any more issues, thanks!

I completely forgot you replied to this - I lucked out and rested before an Irenicus cutscene kicked in, that seems to fixed it. Tested your new version, and issue is resolved (cheers)

Another question though!
    In the Adventure Mart, Corwin makes a comment about the Sword, Shield and Armor of Balduran being stolen. Should this add a Quest? At the moment it only seems to add a Journal Entry.

Ive actually bought the bits and pieces, but Corwin didnt say anything afterwards. Am I right in assuming this is dealt with when the player is sent back to Baldurs Gate at the conclusion of BG2? Or am I missing something?

I completely forgot you replied to this - I lucked out and rested before an Irenicus cutscene kicked in, that seems to fixed it. Tested your new version, and issue is resolved (cheers)

Another question though!
    In the Adventure Mart, Corwin makes a comment about the Sword, Shield and Armor of Balduran being stolen. Should this add a Quest? At the moment it only seems to add a Journal Entry.

Ive actually bought the bits and pieces, but Corwin didnt say anything afterwards. Am I right in assuming this is dealt with when the player is sent back to Baldurs Gate at the conclusion of BG2? Or am I missing something?

Yes, that's right. During the Return to Baldur's Gate portion of the mod, you can bring the artifacts to Curator Magda in the Hall of Wonders. Corwin needs to be in your party during the discussion. In the next update I'll add some new journal entries to clear up what needs to be done.
    Cheers for the response. Very impressed with he mod so far !
  • Hi I've been following this mod since you announced it and would love to do an EET playthrough with it would you say that V1.0.12 is content complete yet or would it be wise to wait a little longer?
    Hi I've been following this mod since you announced it and would love to do an EET playthrough with it would you say that V1.0.12 is content complete yet or would it be wise to wait a little longer?

Hi,

I can't promise that there won't be changes in the future, but the mod is certainly playable from start to finish in EET. Most of the changes I've been making are very minor tweaks and fixes, and don't affect the overall progression or your enjoyment in any way. Some of the changes, particularly those to the journaling, aren't noticeable from the player's perspective, but they help me to maintain things moving forward. I might have some more ideas of things to add in the future, but as of now there's nothing left but the sort of minor modifications / refactoring I mentioned earlier.

If you do play it, I'd love to hear your feedback! Have a good weekend.
    May have actually come across a game breaking bug - the below happens in Spellhold whilst being berated by Irenicus
    hssyjisr2u3n.png

Im going to take a punt and say thats not meant to happen (funny though)

You are given back the control of the player character, and are obviously stuck in the tube. I may go back slightly and see if reaching spellhold via the madness route, instead of the wardstone route affects anything. At the moment, its a progress blocker.
    May have actually come across a game breaking bug - the below happens in Spellhold whilst being berated by Irenicus
    hssyjisr2u3n.png

Im going to take a punt and say thats not meant to happen (funny though)

You are given back the control of the player character, and are obviously stuck in the tube. I may go back slightly and see if reaching spellhold via the madness route, instead of the wardstone route affects anything. At the moment, its a progress blocker.

Yikes. Make sure you're on the latest version of the LCA_Explicit mod. Version 1.0 (which I think you're on) doesn't hook into the correct state. From the v1.0a release notes:

# v1.0a, 2023-11-20
    * Fixed a bug in the hook for the Spellhold encounter.

To get past that point, you can either uninstall the LCA_Explicit mod, or update to the latest version (1.0b).