Skip to content

favorite and least favorite npc

Who is your favorite and least favorite (recruitable) npc?

The first time I clicked on Jaheira she said "Yes, oh omnipresent authority figure?" She's been my favorite ever since.

The first time I brought Anomen into my party he immediately insulted Jaheira, I kicked him out, and haven't touched him since. So he's my least favorite.

What about you?

Comments

• YigorYigor Member Posts: 620
    edited September 2023
    Currently, I'm fond of Dynaheir (roleplaying as a Pure Invoker)! 😺
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,537
    I have always had a soft spot for Alora in BG1. I liked to envision her as a cute younger sister-type character. Tiax was also one of my favourites due to the level of crazy. In BG2 I think Mazzy... an Clara.

I got tired of Minsc rather quickly to be honest. I am also not a fan of Anomens personality. I still have to try to keep him and ridicule him as much as possible and make him fail his quest, but even that I cannot bear because it takes too long, lol.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,331
    Well, my bias is pretty anti-evil, so I have limited experience with those characters. But my favorites would be Imoen (partner, never go anywhere without her by choice), Minsc (still makes me laugh!) and Neera in BG1 (another one, just too funny). Least favorite, of the ones I'll actually use, would be Safana (trashy, not funny) and Khalid (coward). But I will use them to fill a hole.

In BG2 I'd still say Imoen and Minsc; add in Aerie (sweet and good natured) and Keldorn (steady, reliable, wise). For dislikes, well Anomen is the biggest, total jerk. I ran with him once to play through the romance, I'll never do that again. But broadly I just love the way the NPCs are written in that game, I would run with more of them if the game engine allowed.
    Oh, and I like Eldoth as well in an evil game. His portrait makes me think of Huey from the Fun Lovin Criminals. For me it then all become thematic from there...

I think that indeed Aerie is a solid choice. Comes across as an innocent and hesitant girl, but grows into her own through various dialogue and chapter progressions.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited September 2023
    My least favourite NPC in BG2 is surely Edwin, I don't know exactly why, but I can't stand him, he is too arrogant and belongs to a faction that I don't like at all, the Red Wizards.
    I always play good or neutral, but there are some evil toons I like, particularly Viconia, a victim of the evil society she has grown up in who has found the courage to seek a new way and may even change her alignment if you romance her.
    I appreciate her ability to change, to grow, just as I appreciate that of Aerie, who also comes from an harsh situation and as the game progresses finds her inner strength and become a brave and confident woman. I found some deepness in those 2 NPCs, they are not static, they are able to change and I really appreciate it.
    Among my favourite NPCs there are also Minsc, not much because he is funny, but for the simplicity he has discriminating between good and evil, he recognizes what is evil without doubt or overthinking and as he does it his answer is so simple: "let's kick them in the butt...". And surely Mazzy, she is the real paladin of goodness in BG2 even if she can not be a paladin as pallys are quite racist about who can join their group.
    About the NPCs that are nor my favourites and less favourites I like to mention Valigar as he is also able to somehow change his perspective on magic, and for me is a pro, and Keldorn, that I should like as is really good oriented, but tries to kill Viconia if both are in the party for the simple and racist reason that she is a Drow, not because she is evil as he has no problems at all with the blood thirsty Korgan, he fails completely to understand the process of change she is living and judges without appeal her only for her race, while the fact that she can change alignment, or that Drizzt or Eilistrae followers exist prove that in the game Drows are not inherently evil. Ant this is a con that makes Keldorn not one of my favourite NPCs, even if surely not someone that provokes in me the same feelings that Edwin does.
    Among the mod NPCs I did try Keto is my favoured one.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,043
    For BG 1, I have always had soft spots for both Viconia and Branwen. I also like Dynaheir and Minsc, and over time have also grown fond of Imoen. Of the new NPCs I like them all but usually only take them for their quests.

I am currently playing with Garrick in my party and for now am enjoying his total lack of power.

The ones I do not like would include Tiax (comic relief but cannot stomach him for long).

In BG2, I never go with Dorn, too evil even for an evil playthrough for me. The rest all have their roles and places in various parties and I do not really dislike any of them.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,371
    In BG1 my favorites are Edwin and Kagain. Their snarkiness amuses me. My least favorites are Skie, Faldorn and Garrick. Skie comes off as an airhead, and you have to go through hell to get her. Garrick is a goofball that gets on my nerves, plus he's an idiot for working with Silke. Faldorn is useful, but her dour personality and horrible portrait put me off.

In BG2 I most like Keldorn and Korgan. Both have really badass personalities, useful powers, great portraits and can use some of the coolest weapons in the game. My least favorites are Neera (although her quest is quite entertaining) and Hexxat (her quest isn't as interesting as I thought it should be and micro-managing her vampirism is annoying).
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,596
    Aerakar wrote: »
    For BG 1, I have always had soft spots for both Viconia and Branwen. I also like Dynaheir and Minsc, and over time have also grown fond of Imoen. Of the new NPCs I like them all but usually only take them for their quests.

I am currently playing with Garrick in my party and for now am enjoying his total lack of power.

The ones I do not like would include Tiax (comic relief but cannot stomach him for long).

In BG2, I never go with Dorn, too evil even for an evil playthrough for me. The rest all have their roles and places in various parties and I do not really dislike any of them.

Don't sleep on Garrick. Despite his base stats being low, he's actually got some min-max strengths among the NPCs. Highest level magic missile, highest level fireball, highest level dispel magic, highest level remove magic. Yeah his spellbook is small but when you need alot of a punch for a single fight, he's great. Not to mention either crossbow gives him a dimension few other arcane capable NPCs will have. He even beats out dualed Imoen in that regard, due to crappy shortbows. Max lore among the NPCs too.

Best way to play him is to rely on wands, scrolls and crossbow for much of the trashmob combat. Then, like I said, break out his spellbook at the "boss" fights in the game.
  • Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 340
    edited September 2023
    I think my favorite is Verr'Sza. Whoever did the voice work (I assume the modder)did an excellent job. Not to mention the fun of playing a killer cat.
    DinoDin wrote: »

Don't sleep on Garrick. Despite his base stats being low, he's actually got some min-max strengths among the NPCs. Highest level magic missile, highest level fireball, highest level dispel magic, highest level remove magic. Yeah his spellbook is small but when you need alot of a punch for a single fight, he's great. Not to mention either crossbow gives him a dimension few other arcane capable NPCs will have. He even beats out dualed Imoen in that regard, due to crappy shortbows. Max lore among the NPCs too.

Best way to play him is to rely on wands, scrolls and crossbow for much of the trashmob combat. Then, like I said, break out his spellbook at the "boss" fights in the game.

I am going to stick with him this game and try to explore his usefulness.
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    In BG1 my favorites are Edwin and Kagain. Their snarkiness amuses me. My least favorites are Skie, Faldorn and Garrick. Skie comes off as an airhead, and you have to go through hell to get her. Garrick is a goofball that gets on my nerves, plus he's an idiot for working with Silke. Faldorn is useful, but her dour personality and horrible portrait put me off.

In BG2 I most like Keldorn and Korgan. Both have really badass personalities, useful powers, great portraits and can use some of the coolest weapons in the game. My least favorites are Neera (although her quest is quite entertaining) and Hexxat (her quest isn't as interesting as I thought it should be and micro-managing her vampirism is annoying).

I forgot about Kagain and Korgan! Don't tell them or I could fid myself dirt napping. I enjoy both of them immensely.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,371

I forgot about Kagain and Korgan! Don't tell them or I could fid myself dirt napping. I enjoy both of them immensely.

Maybe you're just too tall to see the dwarves!
    Definitely found myself relying heavily on Kivan or Coran for stealth, as I've said elsewhere. Same with Valygar in BG2, although Minsc can be a fun option here too. Just opens a playstyle that really helps with no reload/limited reload type play. So if I don't play a primary stealth char, those are often my faves. Though I loathe Coran's voice acting/lines.

Only ones I hate tend to be for gameplay reasons. Hexxat as Balrog said requires some tedious micro. As does Rasaad in BG1.
    edited September 2023

Maybe you're just too tall to see the dwarves!

:)

They are practically indestructible when well armored and have great cynical lines. I was playing with Kagain in my current run and was going to swap him out for Minsc , but I think I will keep him and Garrick both.
    edited September 2023
    I agree, the dwarves in these games are quite charming in their ruddy ways.
    But also, they seem to be quite alike in their party composition. On the one hand I find that a bonus when reconstructing my party of bg1 in bg2, but on the other hand they could have been made more distinct.

A dwarven thief would have been welcome for instance. Yeslick already being the cleric variant.

I guess the humansize variants are just too numerous in the sword coast. It would have been fun to have more than 1 dwarf, 1 gnome, 1 halfling in bg2.
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    Favourite(s) : Minsc / Dynaheir. They are the stuff of legends. I love the RP flavour of their pairing, I enjoy building a party around them, both cover many bases.

Least : Khalid (I do not like his personality), as a result I seldom play with Jaheira...
    Ignatius wrote: »
    Favourite(s) : Minsc / Dynaheir. They are the stuff of legends. I love the RP flavour of their pairing, I enjoy building a party around them, both cover many bases.

Least : Khalid (I do not like his personality), as a result I seldom play with Jaheira...

I remember playing with Khalid and Jaheira in my first playthrough many moons ago and feeling the same way. I have rarely played with them since in BG1, although I do take Jaheira in BG2 often. Minsc and Dynaheir are standards for me as well.
    lroumen wrote: »
    But also, they seem to be quite alike in their party composition. On the one hand I find that a bonus when reconstructing my party of bg1 in bg2, but on the other hand they could have been made more distinct.

A dwarven thief would have been welcome for instance. Yeslick already being the cleric variant.

I guess the humansize variants are just too numerous in the sword coast. It would have been fun to have more than 1 dwarf, 1 gnome, 1 halfling in bg2.

Yeah, I always felt a tanky thief stereotype was missing from both games frankly. A common build in the goldbox games.

Montaron comes very close, but he takes a long time to get going and ultimately limits what your party composition can be. Especially in BG2, it's something of a shame that all the thieves are pretty squishy, even Hexxat.
    DinoDin wrote: »
    lroumen wrote: »

Yeah, I always felt a tanky thief stereotype was missing from both games frankly. A common build in the goldbox games.

Montaron comes very close, but he takes a long time to get going and ultimately limits what your party composition can be. Especially in BG2, it's something of a shame that all the thieves are pretty squishy, even Hexxat.

Exactly, 3 mage/thief combinations in the original game, of course not counting the short-timer BH. A dwarven thief would have been a welcome addition, perhaps even a female one like in Shadows of Undrentide.
  • ber5nie5ber5nie5 Member Posts: 429
    Jaheira has been one of my favorites with Khalid being disliked. Khalid's frightened personality is so unlike a warrior that it really irks me. So the pairing of the two really irks me as well.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I like Imoen best. In fact I never play without her. I don't like what they did to her in BG2 but I do my best to ignore that. Second favourite is Xzar, especially when using the BG1 NPC project https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/npcs/bg1npc/ Whoever wrote Xzar's dialogue for this did a superb job.

Least favourite would be Rasaad but since I always play with a mod that removes the Beamdog npcs from the game, he long ago ceased to be an annoyance. Least favourite of the original BG1 NPCs would be Xan. I find him genuinely depressing and don't like having him around. Safana is a close second.

Once we get to Siege of Dragonspear I like Corwin and hate all the others. In BG2, of the new NPCs, I like Yoshimo and Nalia but find the rest of them pretty insufferable.