Comments

• I currently have a party of

me (Mage)
    Minsc
    Imoen
    Dynaheir
    Rassad
    Neera

Im toying with getting Branwen for the healer part, plus i heard she is a good NPC
    Would you pick neera over Dynaheir? is Dynaheir a good NPC with minsc? or maybe drop Rassad for Branwen?

This is my first time playing BG1, finished BG2 a few times but I only started this one and stopped some time in the past

I'd get some sort of cleric in that party. I think the choices are Branwen and Viconia, right? I'd go with Branwen. Let Edwin kill Dynaheir. Much better mage. I was never a fan of monks in BG2, so I'd drop Rassad.
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    edited December 2012
    @Calmar
    Shouldn't that be "...greater eloquence than thou dost"? (as in 'than thou dost possess'?) :) Just teasing, I very much agree with you that those errors are about as pleasing to the purist as a finger in the eye. Oh dear, I remember back in the old days when I offered the authors of the Sarileth mod to correct the errors in their Early Modern English - they refused to admit there was any single error at all. Bless! BTW, your post gave me an idea of a new line for Dyna, should she feel forced to leave the party: "Charname, thou suckest!"

And developers, in BG2, when in Irenicus' dungeon you trick Minsc to force himself out of the cage, please let Charname say "Where'er evil doth..." or "Where e'er evil doth...", not "Where e're evil dost...". Pretty please?
    Post edited by swnmcmlxi on
  • GloktaGlokta Member Posts: 97
    edited December 2012
    After a couple of beers my answer would be:

Drop Dynaheir's cropse in a ditch, and get Neera (I havent even played Neera yet, as my current party is through and through evil :x)
    Rassad v Brawen is abit more complicated on my part atleast.. Brawen has been one of thos characters i've always picked up for my good parties, along with Minsc, they have allways been there ( :-) ), maybe pick up Rassad for he's quest and let him have a "accident" after? ;p

*opens another beer* must ponder over this abit...

• GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    For that particular party I would suggest taking Yeslick over Rasaad. You seem to lack melee muscle (with only Minsc) and have no healing to speak of. Yeslick will solve both of those problems. He will be an infinitely better frontliner than Branwen because he will have more HP and hit more frequently, with more attacks and deal more damage. Branwen has 13 strength, she can't even wear Full Plate (Ankheg works though) so she's not really one for a toe to toe battle. I typically use her to buff and heal from the back while using a sling to make use of her 16 dexterity. Yeslick is a beast if you give him the Dex Guantlets and his Dispel Magic innate ability is easily one of the best in the game. Go for the little man.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Not very constructive but it still needs to be said:

Also a massive SPOILER for Neera's Quest.

Pick Neera and you get awesome Red Wizards of Thay to kill. Because that's what BG needs!
  • darthchairdarthchair Member Posts: 191
    Red Wizards of Thay! Now...with more red!
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    edited December 2012
    I actually dropped Neera for Dynaheir. Dynaheir is alot better than people give her credit for. Enchantment spells are not necessary in my opinion. She can also use Slings and is far less annoying than Neera, although far more bland also.

When I got her

Neera was level 5 and had like 28,000 exp. Max hit points on level up left her at 20hp
    Dynaheir was level 6 and has 40,000 exp. Came with 31hp

Also Neera is a huge gamble and forces reloads which I hate to do. I got denied Bassilus electric hammer because a wild surge turned him into stone. I see your "Charm Person, Friends, Sleep, Luck, Dire Charm, Hold Person, Confusion, Emotion-Hopelessness, Greater Malison, Chaos, Domination, Feeblemind and Hold Monster".... and raise you an Algernon's cloak!
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    swnmcmlxi said:

@Calmar
    Shouldn't that be "...greater eloquence than thou dost"? (as in 'than thou dost possess'?) :) Just teasing, I very much agree with you that those errors are about as pleasing to the purist as a finger in the eye. Oh dear, I remember back in the old days when I offered the authors of the Sarileth mod to correct the errors in their Early Modern English - they refused to admit there was any single error at all. Bless! BTW, your post gave me an idea of a new line for Dyna, should she feel forced to leave the party: "Charname, thou suckest!"

And developers, in BG2, when in Irenicus' dungeon you trick Minsc to force himself out of the cage, please let Charname say "Where'er evil doth..." or "Where e'er evil doth...", not "Where e're evil dost...". Pretty please?

Yeah, you are right about my mistake. I was thinking along the lines of 'having eloquence'... which might not be very eloquent in the end. :D
  • CrystarkCrystark Member Posts: 22
    Well, i was having the same trouble deciding between Neera and Dynaheir and well... call it fate, Dynaheir got one shot by a ghoul so i went back to tell to Neera that she was welcome to join my party and i do not regret it. She' much more fun to have along.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited December 2012
    I find Neera to be much more endearing. And her wild magic doesn't pose that much of a problem, or at least I don't find it does (YMMV). (I have no shame about reloading if a surge produces a really bad result.) As mentioned, Neera has no restrictions as to schools of magic, and as a Wild Mage she gets an additional spell slot.

If I'm going to take Minsc into the party I do keep Dyna, though. I won't send her off bear hunting or what have you. Just ain't right.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    edited December 2012

I actually dropped Neera for Dynaheir. Dynaheir is alot better than people give her credit for. Enchantment spells are not necessary in my opinion. She can also use Slings and is far less annoying than Neera, although far more bland also.

When I got her

Neera was level 5 and had like 28,000 exp. Max hit points on level up left her at 20hp
    Dynaheir was level 6 and has 40,000 exp. Came with 31hp

Also Neera is a huge gamble and forces reloads which I hate to do. I got denied Bassilus electric hammer because a wild surge turned him into stone. I see your "Charm Person, Friends, Sleep, Luck, Dire Charm, Hold Person, Confusion, Emotion-Hopelessness, Greater Malison, Chaos, Domination, Feeblemind and Hold Monster".... and raise you an Algernon's cloak!

actually, because mages have such a sucky thac0 progression, anyone can use slings, the difference will be 1 whole point of thac0 at best - not really a problem as far as I'm concerned, and you'll get a point in it anyway at level 6.

Algernon's cloak is cute, but it can never even compare to the awesome power of a sleep spell on a group of low level mobs.
  • VhailorVhailor Member Posts: 12
    Dynaheir

I had my party formed at lvl 2. (Ajantis, Garrick, Branwen, Misnc, & Dynaheir)

Playing a good party, and want to include Minsc, so Dynaheir is a no-brainer for a mage.

I don't trust wild mages anyhow. Order over chaos!
  • GishGish Member Posts: 74
    I'm doing:
    Me (sorcerer)
    Khalid
    Jaheria
    Neera
    Imoen
    Branwen
    I like the randomness of Neera's personality and her wild magic. It adds a funny aspect to the game. I don't like the Witches of Rashemen, to cocky and frankly I make a better striker than some petty Invoker could. Maybe if I was playing an Undead Hunter or an Archer I would consider her though. That will be my next play through, an elven archer. But then again I would like Edwin. Higher int right? More spell slots? I forgot.
    I'll bring:
    Me (archer)
    Minsc
    Dynaheir
    Neera
    Imoen
    Branwen or maybe Viconia
    But even if I went evil (say a Lawful evil Blackguard), I would still prefer Neera.
  • BlackIvoryBlackIvory Member Posts: 75
    So far I've been playing with Neera, Coran, Branwen, Imoen, Minsc and me (mage)

And I'm pretty please, Branwen is a good tanker/utility/healer. and I don't really get too many messed up spells from Neera, not much of a problem with her
  • ThorssonThorsson Member Posts: 190
    Neera FTW. I never liked Dynaheir much anyway, Neera gets way more spells, plus she's an easy lay.
  • SofaJockeySofaJockey Member Posts: 7
    There are too many good party members so I weave them in and out. Jaheira and Khalid will get dropped off in Nashkel. Misc and Dynaheir will get dropped off later too. I do like Misc but I prefer running with him in BG -II.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    Dynaheir is voiced by Jennifer hale tho! All hail Jennifer hale!
  • EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399
    I just finished the game w/Neera. She's going to be a staple in my parties going forward. Dynaheir just got replaced...permanently.
  • ThorssonThorsson Member Posts: 190

Dynaheir is voiced by Jennifer hale tho! All hail Jennifer hale!

Why?
  • ToxicToxic Member Posts: 30
    edited December 2012
    Neera> Dynaheir all day errday. I might be one of those few rare cases where I actually enjoyed her voice acting and the fact that shes a wild mage can be pretty entertaining at times. Let see some crazy wild surges moments:

I've had sleep wild surged into a heal for the enemies once in the Bandit's Camp.
    Casting chromatic orb which wild surged into a sex change.
    I once had her change her skin tone to a golden orange type color.
    Casting haste only to have it open a portal to hell once. DAFUQ?

These are just a few examples of why I think Neera will become a staple member now and if not anything it's fun having those wtf random moment spicing up the game. Speaking of this I am actually considering attempting to go thru the black pits with nothing but Wild mages. Oh boy, this will be interesting to say the least.
    @ReadingRambo: so is Mazzy, yet most players still can't stand her :)

but I can definitely get behind the "All hail Jennifer Hale!" chant.
  • OperativeNLOperativeNL Member Posts: 146
    edited December 2012
    I can't really decide so for now I have them both. I agree with @Lemernis that it "just ain't right" to kill off Dynaheir. She and Minsc just are inseperable, and I really like Minsc.

Neera's wild surges are massivly bugged atm though, so IDK...
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Jennifer Hale's voice should be in more games.
  • tyl998tyl998 Member Posts: 144
    Can Dynaheir cast Conjuration spells in this edition of BG?
    tyl998 said:

nope, some prohibited schools got less restrictive going from BG1 to BG2 (off the top of my head, transmuters no longer lose necromancy), but invokers stayed the same, and BGEE uses BG2's system.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607

tyl998 said:

nope, some prohibited schools got less restrictive going from BG1 to BG2 (off the top of my head, transmuters no longer lose necromancy), but invokers stayed the same, and BGEE uses BG2's system.
    Actually that's completely wrong. Invokers in BG:EE only lose spellcasting in Enchantment, they may cast Conjuration Spells. They could also cast Conjuration spells in BG2 so I'm not too sure where you're getting your info @DinsdalePiranha
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    Yup. BGEE changed invocation specifically since, I think, its opposition schools were so debillitating. Caught me by surprise too. Makes Dynaheir a lot better now that she can summon, but I'd still miss sleep, especially early on.
    GoodSteve said:

tyl998 said:

Actually that's completely wrong. Invokers in BG:EE only lose spellcasting in Enchantment, they may cast Conjuration Spells. They could also cast Conjuration spells in BG2 so I'm not too sure where you're getting your info @DinsdalePiranha
    shit, feels weird to be this wrong :C

thanks for the correction!
  • BlackIvoryBlackIvory Member Posts: 75

I can't really decide so for now I have them both. I agree with @Lemernis that it "just ain't right" to kill off Dynaheir. She and Minsc just are inseperable, and I really like Minsc.

Neera's wild surges are massivly bugged atm though, so IDK...

her wild surges are bugged? how can you tell? did it actually cast the right spell? :P
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    @BlackIvory :
    I've had some weird Neera behavior, where I cast Nahal's and get "Wild Surge:" and then a blank space, and spell goes off normally. Maybe that happens if you roll over 100?