Skip to content

Using "Artificial Intelligence" for mods?

shevy123456shevy123456 Member Posts: 202
So has anyone used "Artificial Intelligence" for mods? Probably the simplest may be to autogenerate some portraits or something, for NPC companions. Has anyone tried this? What were the results?

I am asking because some browser games did so, in a limited way, at the least for some images. And, surprisingly, the images were actually pretty good - not as good as a real competent artist, but quite passable. So I wondered whether anyone tried to go that route, how they did, what were the results and so forth. So mostly as supportive to generation of content, not as a full replacement as such.

Comments

• FrenzgynFrenzgyn Member Posts: 80
    ahungry tried, but I don't know in which state is his project:

https://github.com/ahungry/ahungry_heart
  • LapagaLapaga Member Posts: 1
    I did some custom portraits with AI for my playthrough of Black Pits then posted it

https://nexusmods.com/baldursgate2ee/mods/86?tab=description
  • Skull_BearerSkull_Bearer Member Posts: 71
    If someone couldn't be arsed to put in the effort to make the mod, why should I be arsed to play it?
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,377
    It needs to go in tandem with MI I’d reckon….

If the modder uses the AI prudently and with insight (Moder Inteligence - MI) then why not use it as a tool? AI could advance and further modding. But the moder would still need to add its own insight and flair for the mod to turn out great.
  • TheWildestMageTheWildestMage Member Posts: 9
    If someone couldn't be arsed to put in the effort to make the mod, why should I be arsed to play it?

^This. If your mod uses AI, I'm not gonna waste my time playing it.

And fuck helping enhance those tools to steal from artists.

You wanna take something to use for no profit (eg downloading some art to use as a character's portrait), that's one thing, nobody is really getting harmed there (though the artist might not like it). But using tools made to blatantly steal from artists en-masse is actually massively harmful, cause the more you use them, the more you help them develop their algorithms to steal art and not give any credit whatsoever, so you're helping those people/companies (who are actually making profit) screw artists.

Also, AI """"art"""" sucks anyway. most of the time it's pretty obvious it's AI art and would be pretty jarring to see in a mod, cause it's soulless af (for obvious reasons) and that's beyond, you know, all the weird stuff (6-finger hands etc.).

TL;DR: if you're THAT desperate to get portraits for your (free) mod, literally just take them from whatever art you find on google (though it's getting harder to find good art, since there's a lot of GARBAGE AI stuff filling up the results nowadays!), cause that's actually WAY LESS HARMFUL to artists than using (and, therefore, helping enhance) those mass-stealing tools.