Skip to content

Never played but considering it soon. Heard the best part of NWNEE is the modules?

HermeticsHermetics Member Posts: 25
Just curious people's thoughts for a newcomer. I've played nwn2 and enjoyed the campaigns especially the motb,

Comments

• ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,310
    Yes, the best of the fan-made modules and persistent worlds are widely considered to be NWN's greatest strength - see guide. Some of the official ones are very good, too - notably SoU and HotU.
  • Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 340
    Don’t forget PRC!
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,043
    I loved SoU, even more than NWN, and also enjoyed HoU afterwards, but yes the fan mods can be excellent. The Aeilund Saga stands out in my opinion as a long-running immersive campaign from level 1 to epic levels, but there are many, many more.
  • HermeticsHermetics Member Posts: 25
    Thank you for the suggestions. Are there any qol or aesthetic mods I should be looking out for?

Is it fine to start with the basic campaign and import that character around or is that bad? I'm hoping to be able if I play some sort of module to be able to make one character and stick to that character if that makes sense.
    Assuming you play in the usually order - OC then SoU then HotU - you'll find that SoU is designed to restart at level 1 again.

However, the game lets you export your character at any time, keeping multiple versions.

So, if you export your character at the start of the OC, you can play SoU as the same person, albeit without the levels and gear obtained in the OC.

On the other hand, your final SoU character can continue into HotU.

Start level for custom modules varies (there is a guide called Hero's Path on Neverwinter Vault) but, if you export your character at every level of the OC and HotU, you can play most of them as the same person.

Against that, there's a lot of fun to be had by trying your hand at different classes, especially those top-rated custom modules designed for specific classes, such as Almraiven or A Dance With Rogues.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 552
    As for [override] mods in the general sense of the word, Zwerkules' facelifts go a long way towards making the blocky early-3D landscapes more palatable. They should be compatible with most modules, and certainly the official campaigns.

I really wouldn't start with the OC unless you're truly committed to playing through all NWN has to offer. In terms of game design, it's some of the worst lack of respect for your time I've come across. SoU is a better place to start for sure, and the narrative callbacks to the OC are minimal anyway.
    SoU is better for sure, though the OC takes off from Act 2 onwards.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,385
    Each to their own… I love the OC, and really dislike SoU. Otherwise I agree on the above.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,596
    Going to agree with @Isewein big time here. The original campaign suffers from alot of issues. An overly long and pointless "tutorial" section. A slog of a first act, with tons of bland, repetitive combat. Even the early game NPCs, with some exceptions are bland, even the environments are bland. Just about the only thing good is the sound design. I can understand why some like it, but as others have said you're best off starting with Shadows of Undretide module.