Skip to content

Any tips for a noob?

2»

Comments

• Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 331
    edited December 2023
    I've usually had success sneaking and hiding to recon by going from one patch of darkness to another. True there may be traps but if your out of site of an enemy you can detect traps, lure an enemy (or enemies) into ambush away from trap, kill them, remove trap, recon. I do this alot with my assassin.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,841
    Yeah, those little patches of shadow from trees or rocks are very useful for outdoor scouting. Hide in the actual shadow, then head out to where you need to scout once you're invisible. (Because the areas are well-designed, and the "light map" matches the graphics fairly closely.)
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,574
    Hmm... I really think the basilisk cheese that people are recommending is truly bad advice for a new player. Frankly, the Nashkel mines are MEANT to be done at level 1-2. It will be a joke and frankly you'll rob yourself of a fun experience if you metagame your way to level 5. The Nashkel mines actually give you a hefty XP and gold reward when they're done.

Moreover, it's a bit of a gamble to rely on the ghoul or whatever to farm this XP, as you may run into random mobs on that map that will both kill the ghoul and a low level party, potentially. Not to mention the mage which might be tough for a new player. It's a fine metagame if you know the area already and the location of everything, but I think people are leading you and other new players down a super wrong path by recommending it. It's just a black space folks, if he doesn't know where the ghoul is, where the mage is, where the basilisks are it's going to be a trial-and-error grind.

The Nashkel mines are not hard and they start very gradually, they help ease you into the combat. And the escalating nature of the encounters within the mines will help you slowly learn and improve in the combat system. Thrusting yourself into a high-level area blindly is not going to do that. You need to learn to get good with the combat system in addition to actually leveling your characters.

If you want something else to do, do the side quests that citizens in either Beregost or Nashkel give you. Purchase the necklace of missiles in one of the Nashkel carnival tents -- it's a fireball spell. But really, you should just suck it up and do the mines as soon as possible. You will become a better player of the game for having done so.
  • ber5nie5ber5nie5 Member Posts: 429
    DinoDin wrote: »
    Hmm... I really think the basilisk cheese that people are recommending is truly bad advice for a new player. Frankly, the Nashkel mines are MEANT to be done at level 1-2. It will be a joke and frankly you'll rob yourself of a fun experience if you metagame your way to level 5. The Nashkel mines actually give you a hefty XP and gold reward when they're done.

Moreover, it's a bit of a gamble to rely on the ghoul or whatever to farm this XP, as you may run into random mobs on that map that will both kill the ghoul and a low level party, potentially. Not to mention the mage which might be tough for a new player. It's a fine metagame if you know the area already and the location of everything, but I think people are leading you and other new players down a super wrong path by recommending it. It's just a black space folks, if he doesn't know where the ghoul is, where the mage is, where the basilisks are it's going to be a trial-and-error grind.

The Nashkel mines are not hard and they start very gradually, they help ease you into the combat. And the escalating nature of the encounters within the mines will help you slowly learn and improve in the combat system. Thrusting yourself into a high-level area blindly is not going to do that. You need to learn to get good with the combat system in addition to actually leveling your characters.

If you want something else to do, do the side quests that citizens in either Beregost or Nashkel give you. Purchase the necklace of missiles in one of the Nashkel carnival tents -- it's a fireball spell. But really, you should just suck it up and do the mines as soon as possible. You will become a better player of the game for having done so.

great advice imho. B)
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,574
    If you want some general advice, I would say pay careful attention to your positioning as youre exploring new areas. If you are not using stealth, then your biggest defense characters should be always at the front, i.e. they should be the ones first clearing out the fog of war. The best early party set ups usually involve heavy use of ranged weapons. It's a pretty good idea to just have one or two melee characters and four or five ranged. They don't have to stay that way forever, but it's good at low levels. Khalid, Jaheira, Montaron, Kagain, Branwen can all work in this role. If you can tolerate their evilness, Montaron is actually the best level one tank. Ignore his thief skills (rely on Imoen instead) and put heavy armor on him. Stack as much defensive gear on your frontline tank as you can -- shield, ring of protection, helmet, belt of slashing/piercing etc.

As I said the necklace of fireballs is a clutch early item. Don't be afraid to use up its limited charges in your early levels. By the time you level up, you will have tons of other options for area of effect spells. But you'll have nothing like it at low levels. It's relatively cheap. Just be careful of friendly fire. I would equip it on the same frontline tanks I spoke about. And if you stumble on a super large scary group, drop a fireball on them. Nuke it from orbit should be your general mindset on any encounter that seems slightly dangerous -- i.e. fire your strongest spells and abilities as early as you possibly can. Don't be afraid to use the limited use items and potions that you find in the early game. Again, as you level up you will have tons of options. In the early game you won't. And the inventory system sucks. Don't be a hoarder. The early game is ironically one of the hardest sections of the game. Take advantage of every resource you can.

Get the sleep spell on a mage. Get as many uses of the command spell on a cleric. Use sleep on big mobs of monsters. Use command on those dangerous-looking boss and mage types. Both these spells should be your bread-and-butter for any of the fights that seem challenging. A second mage spell to get is blindness. Have the mage use sleep on large mobs, but blindness on those dangerous-looking boss types and mages. Blindness can sometimes completely neutralize an enemy.

Try to stay at maximum hit points at all times. Stock up on healing potions. One of the best things you can buy at low levels, honest. At low levels, the game gives you a bit of a break on damage. If any of your characters are at maximum hit points they cannot die from one hit. Even if an enemy does more damage than you have hit points, you will instead be dropped to just one hit point. There are some exceptions to this with enemies that do extra elemental damage, but it's true for 95% of enemies. Stay at maximum health and use health potions to achieve this. You will make the climb from level one to level three much easier this way.

Any fight where you see a caster, whether a mage or cleric or whatever, you need to prioritize that target. Maybe not with all your party, but certainly most. This is why relying on ranged is so important. Most of the early game mages cannot withstand a great deal of damage.
  • ber5nie5ber5nie5 Member Posts: 429
    I agree with tanks up front. I also like to have a tank or ranger (my usual setup) at the back of the group to handle attacks from the rear. I like to keep my mage and rogue in the middle of the group.
  • SoidoSoido Member Posts: 338
    @DinoDin

I can't say no to such solid advice towards new players not to rush the basilisks.

I would even double down and warn against it even for experienced folks.

Yet it is also a valid strategy because not always this approach yields best results. Certain classes are best enjoyed at higher levels, notably bounty hunter, while other classes are quite stand-alone from level 1. Also some people are very annoyed how squishy they are and not enough health so they might want to take that into their own hands and quickly level up.

People who rush the basilisks have an agenda and a plan in mind. They are not role-playing, they are power leveling and rushing to end-game with intention to start BG2 in a few hours, while a rpg player who grinds his way can reach BG2 in several days of playing, the game is long and grindy this way.
  • HotheonHotheon Member Posts: 19
    okini55 wrote: »
    Hello

I played Baldur's gate untill I reached the big city itself and a little further but then my computer broke down and I started again on a new computer.
    My question is, do you have any tips on how to level up fast to about lvl 5 or something early before doing the Nashkel mines quest.
    I die very easily even though I play as a warrior human with maxed out strength and this resistance thing (I don't remember what it's called in english, I play on different language).
    Are there any good locations to farm XP or easy quests to do early on?
    I find mages especially hard to face in battle since they put these paralyzing spells and such on my charachters.

Would be very happy for any tips you could help me with!

Thanks in advance!

traps, you can get 40,000xp by killing 2 things right out of the gate. drizzt and elminster. takes patience and you might want to pay pff the corrupt church to bring rep back up. but its easy.
  • HotheonHotheon Member Posts: 19
    edited January 3
    also once u get xp simply exprt and import that character to a new game, rep is defaulted by alignment and they never died so no cheese. u can recruit shar teel and dual her to rogue dump 50 into set traps and there ya go. tedious but easy. i had surgery 2day typing isnt usually this bbrutal