Skip to content

Possible Bug: Cleric/Mages can use Gloves of Healing

These gloves are not usable by single class mages or single class clerics, so it follows that C/M characters should not be able to use them either...but Aerie can and I suspect a protagonist C/I or C/M probably can use them too.

Hope this is the correct place to report bugs these days for BG2EE? Thanks

Comments

• DhariusDharius Member Posts: 657
    edited December 2023
    Interestingly, there's only one item I know that has restrictions for specific single class characters, but not a combination of those classes in the game, and that's the Horn of Kazgaroth - it says that Clerics and Druids can't use the item, but multi class versions of these classes can, specifically in the item description.

That's the only item I know that behaves like that - so I assume that the Gloves should not be behaving like that as it's not mentioned in the item description.

[Sorry this is all wrong - see below]
    edited December 2023
    Sorry I got that wrong - the Horn of Kazgaroth will not let ANY combination of Cleric or Druid use the item - so F/D and F/C can't use it - that's the uniqueness of this item.

A C/T could if they advance enough to use UAI, but by then the item is pretty useless anyway...

In the case of the Gloves, which is a different matter, C/M contains both restricted classes, so the assumption is that a multi class character with only those classes can't use it either. But I'd expect a F/M/C to be able to use it, as they contain the Fighter class.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,834
    edited December 2023
    Checking the item in NI ... unusability bits for single-class clerics, druids and mages set, unusability bit for cleric/mages not set. In both BGEE and BG2EE; the item is also available in the Black Pits adventure.

Reported to the EE Fixpack.
    Thanks. Similarly of course a gnome C/I should not be able to use them either…
    That's just a kind of cleric/mage - one that happens to have the illusionist kit. No special treatment needed.
  • shevy123456shevy123456 Member Posts: 179
    Should it not be useable? I mean it's just a glove or rather gloves, right? The magic effect imbued should be part of the gloves itself, a bit like scrolls could be used even for a fighter (or, at the least I think this was the case with oldschool DnD rules; I haven't look at the ruleset to remember in many years). Although I also wonder why gloves fit the hands of everyone ... Dorn versus Jan should be quite a different in hand size ...
    Flavor says these gloves are for members of the Radiant Heart order that don't themselves have spellcasting ability. And so they're usable for fighters and fighter/X combinations, thieves and thief/Y combinations, and bards. They're not usable for single/class clerics or single-class mages. And then comes the inconsistent part - for some reason, they're usable by cleric/mages. If they're excluded by the single classes on both sides, they should be excluded by the multiclass combination as well.
    If you compare it to the gloves of missile snaring, the situation is slightly different: Clerics and some versions of Multi Class Clerics (e.g. F/C) specifically cannot use them, but Fighters can!

However, generally with items I think it is assumed, that from the item description, unless specifically stated, if two types of class cannot use an item, then a combination of the two classes can't either.