Skip to content

Trash

I just want you to know, you're one of the worst things that ever happened in the industry, you took an immortal classic, I don't know by what miracle you got the rights to it and ruined it to the bone, every one of you is not worthy of touching a single line of code of this game

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,872
    I have to disagree with this sentiment. The EE adds real, undeniable value.

You see, if it hadn't been made, I would have been unable to play BG1 and BG2 at all. Ever try to run a 20-year-old program on a modern Mac? No chance of that. But the EE has been ported to modern systems. A whole lot of them, including mobile and console systems. And that means lots of people who can play the games now who wouldn't otherwise have the option.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,700
    ... don't feed the troll?
  • SoidoSoido Member Posts: 338
    Lol sorry I am just watching too many movies I guess
    @jmerry I have some doubts if the game had to be ported to mobile. I tried it, have it mobile too, but can't handle it with a pen. If the game was turn based it would have been okay.

For example I recently installed on Android Heroes of Might and Magic 3 Complete (via GOG and a special cross platform app), the installation is not straightforward Play Store purchase. If you are interested can explain, works perfectly.

H3 is turn based game perfect to play from bed
  • AciferAcifer Member Posts: 176
    The Enhanced Editions are imho the best mobile apps available. I've been playing EEs almost exclusively on various iPads for many years now and it's such an amazing experience. Thank you Beamdog for making this possible!
    I am glad that it is such an amazing experience for you. I am saying that it might not be amazing experience for others. I have no idea what iPad you have, I have beautiful Xiaomi tablet too. It is not about the tablets but about the game is not very well suited for mobile
  • AciferAcifer Member Posts: 176
    To me, the touch interface is very intuitive, it almost feels like the game was made for a tablet. And I've been playing the game since 1998. I have an old iPad from 2013, an iPad Pro and an iPadAir, and the EEs run smoothly on all three.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,380
    I have to agree with Acifer on this one. It is really good, and I think the gameplay experience feels very authentic on the many iOS units I have tried.

I have been playing this game for about 20 years, and would not be able to play without the iOS version. So I am very glad for the many platform it has been ported to.

On topic. The franchise holdets have been adamant in insisting that nothing was changed in the new versions, so the differences between vanilla and the ee versions are but a few.
  • The_Baffled_KingThe_Baffled_King Member Posts: 147
    edited January 23
    adan228 wrote: »
    I just want you to know, you're one of the worst things that ever happened in the industry, you took an immortal classic, I don't know by what miracle you got the rights to it and ruined it to the bone, every one of you is not worthy of touching a single line of code of this game
    You might wanna sit down for this, OP...

... are you ready?

Beamdog was co-founded by one of the six co-founders of Bioware (makers of the original game), and by one of Bioware’s earliest hires, who was a programmer for the Infinity Engine that runs the original games. Man, doesn't that just make you feel like Beamdog went back in time and put their "unworthy" hands all over the code of your immortal classic?!

And it gets even worse (you might want to reach for the smelling salts) – Minsc is based on a pen and paper D&D character played by the Beamdog co-founder who was a Bioware programmer! Ah! Minsc! Not you as well! At this point, you might as well just frisbee your dozen or so original Baldur's Gate series CDs out of the window, amirite?!!

Of course, those of us who have the excellent Enhanced Editions made by Beamdog no longer have to deal with the tedium of swapping those dozen or so discs back and forth and forth and back and back and- where was I? Oh, that's right, I was in the middle of praising Beamdog for overhauling a creaking, decrepit game engine that was already over 10 years old when the Enhanced Editions were released over 10 years ago.

I, like a great many other people who played the original Baldur's Gate, also appreciate the entirely new content added by Beamdog. There are some who dislike it, which was inevitable really, but most of those people are able to act like grownups and just not engage with the new content, which is very easy to do. The fact that even people who strongly dislike the new content still praise the Enhanced Editions says it all, really.
    jastey wrote: »
    ... don't feed the troll?
    Trolls should be killed with fire or acid damage, so innocent NPCs are not harmed. If this one gets back up, I'll treat it like one of the many Bioware bugs that Beamdog fixed – as something I no longer have to deal with.
  • Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 334
    I play on mobile iOS and Android and think they're great. If only there was an easier way to mod and all platforms had the same version. Oh I almost forgot, they sure dont make movies like they used to. Heat is so 🔥
    Nope they don't make anymore. With few exceptions. This year 2024 is going to be such an exception apparently because we will be having Furiosa (a prequel to Mad Max Fury Road) and also a new episode of the beloved by all rpg fans The Lord of the Rings.

Regarding the platforming of BG, it is successful port runs smoothly no crashes glitches. It is just me that I find it inconvenient to play with a pen. Also I can't quite play any game from bed for too long, I have to turn sideways and I might as well fall asleep then. I can't play any extensive period in such awkward position. Usually when I play BG on my PC with a kbd and mouse in my armchair in the living room I would play from 9 am to 11 pm :smile:

Hmm didn't know Beamdog was founded by one of the Bioware people. I think some of them actually founded their own companies, like the Wasteland franchise I heard somewhere he also comes from Bioware. But don't quote me on this, I might have this wrong. What I can say on the subject is that there are some people who are not mainstream and prefer the old ways and nothing will change their mind. For example I am very old fashioned when it comes to Skyrim and can't stand any mods, while the mainstream they all play with tons of mods.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited January 24
    This kind of nonesense makes me wish it was possible to get a spontaneous round of beers for the team (even more than usual).

I was so stoked for the EE releases.
    Not disappointed one bit. Not only that, but I’d been playing vanilla BG from release until then, so I knew what I was comparing it against. A few of these trolls recently on Reddit haven’t even played BG for years and blame beamdog for original content!
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,590
    Just wanna add as a long time player, of the games completely un-modded near their release, someone who played BG tutu and all those other mods over the years, and now finally the EE games. I have to say the EE games are super welcome and just use this opportunity to thank the team for their work.

Even the added NPC's add a dimension to the games that greatly improve replayability (especially in BG2 with its limited thief and limited evil options).