Skip to content

Party members leaving - rationales?

So I am doing some test-runs and walkthroughs using a combination of different mods. For my next run through I'll probably do a hobo-party e. g. weak characters (but one tank still, Dusk npc; without tank I found the game rather hard, since so many NPCs such as Jan or Aerie are mostly supporting characters, though of course they can be buffed still).

We have only 6 slots for the party, one slot is the main actor. So 5 NPCs.

I thus find myself having to kick out people I don't need.

Imoen is particularly interesting because in Bodi's lair or whatever the name, you can dismiss her and she'll say something like "I'll find my way out". Ok but .... that got me thinking.

IF the main party is already there, why does Imoen try it on her own? Would it not be more logical to HELP the other six?

I understand this is done for balancing reasons aka not have more than 6 chars in the party. But even then I find the solution offered odd.

For instance, I'd think it more logical for Imoen to say "I'll support you guys until we are out of this dungeon" or anything like that. Aka rather than to vanish, Imoen were to stay and assumed to help (even if she may not fight).

This is not the only instance. Jaheira also acts somewhat weird, though that is more understandable after she left the Harpers. But still, kind of vanishing is weird. She could stay in some area or something ... perhaps a wooden area outside of Amn. Or in the druid's grove or so.

I guess there are more instances, but I basically wanted to focus just on the weird "NPC vanishes suddenly" situation, with Imoen being stranger than Jaheira. I don't mind the balancing argument, but the solution in particular with Imoen is somewhat odd - not even sure if this is a vanilla run or one mod modifies something but it's weird.