Skip to content

[Request] Cantrips

CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
One of the items on my wish list would be to give mages cantrips which they can use say 3 times a day, I always found low level mages rather dull as you run out of spells almost instantly, and it is a little immersion braking to be resting all the time. While I realise that you can equip them with slings etc, this does not feel particularly wizardly. However the problem is much less or non existent at higher levels so a few low level cantrips should do it.

This could even be expanded upon so that different mage specializations have access to different sets of cantrips so that they feel more thematically different, as at low levels there is often very little to differentiate between a a conjurer and an illusionist, ideally there would be some different minor utilities to the cantrips. Maybe 1 damage, one minor crowd control, and one other to choose from with a generalised mage getting access to all of them.

Under the current rules for baldur's gate cantrips don't exist so I think a quickslot tome give to you by Gorion as a leaving/travelling present would be one way of implement this.

Post edited by Cadros on

Comments

• CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    Abjurer: Air shield: target gains the benefits of a small shield
    Fire Orb: 2-3 fire damage
    Thick skinned: Target will absorb 3 points of damage before their health is hit.

Illusionist: Illusionary gibberling: 4hp no damage
    Scare: Single low level creature loses a round of combat
    Frost ray: Low damage spell, 2-3 frost damage

Diviner: Dim visions: Help target creature see future attacks, -1AC
    Frost ray: Low damage spell, 2-3 frost damage
    Spot Images: chance to see two mirror images, dispelling them as if successful hits had taken place

Enchanter: Drowzy, target slowed for a round Nagging doubt: target has a niggling at the back of their mind, but can't think what... 5% spell cast failure, doesn't stack Acid rain: Miniature cloud of acid deals 2-3 damage to target

Invoker: Lightning dart: 4-5 damage
    Icy visage: 50% chance of 1 frost damage to those who strike target
    Magic camp fire, reduces the chance of hostile rest encounters by 15%

Conjurer: Empower familiar: +1 to hit and damage to familiar 1 turn Heal familiar: heal familiar for 3 points of damage Summon Enraged Gibberling: 2-3 damage, 6 health

Necromancer: Floating skull, 2hp, 2 damage
    Skull tap: destroy floating skull, gain 2 hp
    Skeletal finger: A bony finger fires at the target dealing 2-3 damage

Transmuter: Gems to gold: transmutes gems to between 50% and 150% of their normal gold value
    Minor Polymorph: turns a low level opponent into a critter, for 2 turns
    Acid rain: 2-3 acid damage

Wild Mage: Random spell from the list above

Sorry for the splintered post but it wouldn't let me post otherwise
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    Hey, why isn't this in the Feature Requests section? ;-)
    Changed it to Feature Requests, I'm going to blame it on me having to try 5 or so times just to get it to post ;-)
    Also I allways use your portrait in my BG games, now I have to go find another one :(
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Cadros

Its nice that no one likes Anomen. Pretty convenient.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    edited June 2012
    Haven't they already hinted us that mages will have cantrips?

"With regards to low level mages, we have a few options to tweak them while remaining true to the rules. We don't want the game to be easy."

"Good question. Mages are very susceptible to stiff breezes, bunny nibbles and the odd wayward pebble at level 1. We have a plan!"

"Once, our Mage tried to attach what he thought was the Hand of Vecna. Was just a mummified hand. He was only casting cantrips for a month"
    Post edited by Anton on
    Well I hope they do, I was just transfering over my request, and those twitter updates are very vague.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I...don't think they're hinting at that. I mean, maybe that's what that is, but it sounds more like an anecdote from Trent's tabletop game...
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,551
    This would be a nice touch indeed. Very useful for a low level mage.
  • RemenissionsRemenissions Member Posts: 102
    Some spells that would have no reason to be cast after say like level 5 would be good, but you also have to realize that cantrips are a D&D v3.5 (i think) feature so it'd be kind of strange to include that and not just change the entire game's mechanics to v3.5. Which I really hope they don't considering every new version is worse and worse.