Skip to content

Which NPCS have you never used for long?

2»

Comments

• KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    DarkDogg said:

She looks like a 60 y.o. granny. With sweating problems. lol

True.. but luckily you can change that with a custom portrait ;) !!!
  • UnknownQuantityUnknownQuantity Member Posts: 242
    DarkDogg said:

Viconia is ugly in BG1? She affronts my good alignment, but I always liked her portrait.

She looks like a 60 y.o. granny. With sweating problems. lol
    lol

I see something different. I see a 20-30ish punk rock looking lady with pink hair and face paint. I guess people see things differently sometimes.

• DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    Kurumi said:

True.. but luckily you can change that with a custom portrait ;) !!!

Trust me. In 1999 it was a lil'bit difficult :-)

I see something different. I see a 20-30ish punk rock looking lady with pink hair and face paint. I guess people see things differently sometimes.

This one is better Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    But still the BG2 pic is way pretier.
    I like the original. It is a lot more colorful and creative, but this one is more like a stereotypical dark elf would look.
    I like Jaheira's pic and a pic from an elven girl in the tutorial, a green pic with a skinny girl with a hat :-) Actually she's a mage and you could recruit her in the original game with a bug ;-)
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265

I like the original. It is a lot more colorful and creative, but this one is more like a stereotypical dark elf would look.

Perhaps, but by the same reasoning you could say Yeslick would look better with no beard and a pink mohawk, because it's not how a stereotypical dwarf would look like :P
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    The NPC pairs thing really limits me. I like Jaheira and have gotten better at optimizing Khalid, so they're working well for me. This time, I didn't take Minsc (and Boo) plus Dynaheir, so I have Neera and Viconia (never played with Viconia, so I'm trying something new).

Perhaps, but by the same reasoning you could say Yeslick would look better with no beard and a pink mohawk, because it's not how a stereotypical dwarf would look like :P
    It's just my opinion. I like the original better. I like the colors better. It doesn't take to much imagination to make a dark elf with that looks like that (color wise). The original has character IMO. I do like Yeslick, but I also think his portrait is rather boring.

• toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    edited December 2012
    @Quartz
    That was perhaps my favorite rant on this thread forum, and I agreed with every bit of it. Even the part about Xan, who I extremely dislike (for his pessimism, not for his usefulness)

I have never used and plan on using at some point (with the exception of Quayle and Tiax): Faldorn, Quayle, Eldoth, Skie, Safana, Shar-Teel, Tiax, Alora (didn't even know she existed until recently), Coran, Kivan, Branwen
    I rarely use/use for a short time: Garrick, Neera (want that gembag, don't want her wild magic), Ajantis, Minsc & Dynaheir (I like Minsc in BG2 every time, but not in BG1 unfortunately), Viconia (used in BG2, not yet in BG1)
    I have used before and enjoyed: Xan, Yeslick, Edwin, Xzar, Montaron, Dorn, Rasaad, Kagain
    I have used these TOO MANY TIMES in the past and should probably stop picking them even though old habits die hard: Imoen, Khalid, Jahiera, and of course that blasted CHARNAME...

If I forgot anyone, feel free to let me know.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

I use Shar-Teel all the time. Her con is low, but not low enough to get a penalty, unlike Viconia's (and everyone seems to love her anyway).

Ummm Viconia does not have any Constitution penalties. No NPC in this game has Con penalties. Even Xan with his Constitution of 7 is just short of HP penalties.

I can't stand Kivan. He's a stuck up elf who tells me to quit bothering him when I give him orders, and leaves the party for good if I want to re-arrange it. Well you can go **** yourself too, buddy.

Yet you totally put up with Shar-Teel? Fascinating. Okay, fair enough.
    toanwrath said:

@Quartz
    That was perhaps my favorite rant on this thread forum, and I agreed with every bit of it. Even the part about Xan, who I extremely dislike (for his pessimism, not for his usefulness)

Thank you sir.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Quartz said:

Yet you totally put up with Shar-Teel? Fascinating. Okay, fair enough.

In fairness, Shar-Teel is evil so it's kind of expected of her.
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    I feel like Kivan is only good because Rangers have to be. I see him as Lawful Neutral...like an elven St. Cuthbert (Greyhawk) if you will. Retribution!!
    toanwrath said:

I feel like Kivan is only good because Rangers have to be. I see him as Lawful Neutral...like an elven St. Cuthbert (Greyhawk) if you will. Retribution!!

Nah bro. Watch the movie Dirty Harry with Clint Eastwood. That guy defines Chaotic Good, and indeed Kivan's personality as we know it.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    toanwrath said:

Same deal with Jaheira and True Neutral, even though she'd really fit better as Neutral Good.
    Chow said:

toanwrath said:

Same deal with Jaheira and True Neutral, even though she'd really fit better as Neutral Good.
    I agree with this though.

Also Garrick Chaotic Neutral ... WTF?!
  • butsambutsam Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2012
    I usually go close to canonical (Imoen at a minimum, usually Jaheira as well, and frequently Minsc), but this time I'm forcing myself to not use anyone I normally do, other than for a brief period at the beginning (since I'm a Conjurer and they are really hard to play at level 1), so I am using:

* Dorn
    * Rasaad
    * Neera
    * Safana
    * Branwen

It's a sub-par party (for Safana and Branwen at least), but that means it'll be a little more of a challenge, so it keeps the game fun.
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    I'm the type of guy who always goes for the strongest characters, i don't really indulge weaklings just for the sake of their banter of personality. So the end result is kind of end up with the exact same party over and over again :)) Imoen, Edwin, Viconia, Kivan, Coran, Kagain, Minsc -> these are the top tier NPC's and i pretty much use them exclusively.