Skip to content

Returning Player, several questions

I bought the game from the Mac Store a few years ago (playing on a macbook), and I have some questions I want to ask before I start a new game on it.

1) Should I have bought the game from Beamdog instead of from the Mac Store? I'm wondering if there is any major difference between the two versions.
2) My game says it is version 1.3.2053. Is this the most up to date version?
3) I am planning on getting Siege of Dragonspear and Baldur's Gate 2 later on. How do I import my character from BG:EE into those games? Also, since Siege of Dragonspear doesn't appear to be on the mac store, is it possible to transfer characters between the different versions? If so, how?

Thank you for your time, I'd appreciate any response.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Okay, some bad news. 2.3.x is the current up to date patch. There isn't a 2.3 version for the Mac App store. I don't know why. I would hope you would get 2.5 when its fully released as Beamdog has stated it will bring ALL PLATFORMS up to the same patch level. A quesiotn, does BG2ee on the Mac Store show version 2.5?

As for differences, they are many. A save file from 1.3 probably won't be compatible with 2.5. Dragonspear also only runs on the 2.x series of patches, there is no version of that for mac app store either.

You have a couple options:

1.Play the 1.3 version. Its really stable and most of the bugs are minor. Just don't ever cast the "Luck" spell. It permantely deletes weapon proficiencies. If the Mac app store got BG2ee 2.5 (which every other platform got, my knowledge) you won't be able to import. But you can at least see some of the new stuff. The UI was completely overhauled, some people love it, some people hate it.

2. Wait for the couple weeks that I expect the last patch to take and see if the Mac store gets updated. That would likely mean SoD would come to the app store as well, and is well worth playing.

3.I said "couple" but heres a another option. You could ask support if they could help you get a different version of the game (Steam, GoG, Direct from them), that would get you the latest non-beta patches.

It might be a good idea to ask @JuliusBorisov if version 2.5 will be released for the Mac App Store.
  • supergoji18supergoji18 Member Posts: 11
    @ThacoBell BG2ee is on version 1.3 on the Mac store

If I create a character in the current game of Baldur's Gate that I have, could I import that character to the version from Beamdog if I got that?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I don't tihnk 1.3 saves are compatible with any of the 2.x series of patches. BG2EE being on 1.3 for you is troubling, as 2.5 has already had an official release.

@JuliusBorisov Will 2.5 bring every version up to parity, as stated by Beamdog? Why has Mac App store been further delayed?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    The Mac App Store will get the 2.5 updates very-very soon.