Skip to content

Favourite soundtrack?

I'm really fond of music in video games and so I'm interested to find out what peoples' favourite soundtracks are from some of the EE games, and if there are any reasons for said choice. (Note I included IWD2 and NVN2 because their predecessors are enhanced).
  1. Favourite soundtrack?23 votes
    1. Baldurs Gate EE (+Siege of Dragonspear) (by Michael Hoenig and Sam Hulick)
      13.04%
    2. Baldurs Gate 2: Shadows of Amn EE (+Throne of Bhaal) (by Michael Hoenig, Sam Hulick, Inon Zur, and Howard Drossin)
      21.74%
    3. Icewind Dale (by Jeremy Soule)
      52.17%
    4. Icewind Dale 2 (by Inon Zur)
        0.00%
    5. Planescape: Torment (by Mark Morgan and Richard Band)
      13.04%
    6. Neverwinter Nights (+expansions) (by Jeremy Soule, David John, and Kemal Amarisingham)
        0.00%
    7. Neverwinter Nights 2 (+expansions) (by Dave Fraser, Neil Goldberg, Alexander Brandon, Rik Schaffer, and David John)
        0.00%
    8. Other (If none of these soundtracks tickle your fancy)
        0.00%
[Deleted User]

Comments

• smyth25smyth25 Member Posts: 219
    It was a really hard choice between PST and BG2 but I think the former just won me over in the end. The PST soundtrack has some really good character soundtracks. For example, Annah and Deionarra's themes are really beautiful (actually cried during one particular scene) whilst Transcended one and Ravel's theme are just kinda funky. The main theme also really suits the game very well, and I like that different motifs used in the main theme are utilised in other tracks in order to tie aspects of the game together and build atmosphere. The music whilst in the Mortuary and in the FoR are also particularly well done, the Mortuary theme is suitably creepy whilst the FoR theme has a certain grandiose, but also imminent danger...

The BG2 soundtrack is my honourable mention, I really like the variety of battle scores in the game, and certain area themes, such as Dream Candlekeep, Planar prison, and Temple of Amaunator, are exceptionaly well done.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    although nwn2 comes in with a close 2nd place
    smyth25
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    Tough choices here, iwd and bg2 are close 2nd and 3rd.
    I also really liked nwn2 mask of the betrayer musics but not the main game and last expansion.
    smyth25
    I do also really like the first Baldur's gate soundtrack as well, I think I would rank it 3rd just behind Baldur's Gate 2. I'd say it has equally good battle soundtracks (Giant spiders, Swords against darkness, and Attacked by assassins are utter bangers) but imo the area themes in BG2 have a bit more flavour than in BG (BG2 also introduces some lovely character themes).

And as much as I hate to say it, that BG1 Main title can get AWFULLY repetitive when character building :s .
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    It's definitely Icewind Dale for me. Mainly for this piece of music:

I reckon he would have won an Oscar if it had been in a movie.

I'm not really a fan of the game because I find it too much of a slog but I sometimes create a party and wander round Easthaven just for the joy of hearing this.
    smyth25
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Really hard choice since my favorite tracks are spread out over all of these games. Like Heart of the Forest in Neverwinter Nights, Deionarra's theme in Planescape Torment and the already mentioned Easthaven track in Icewind Dale.

But in the end I went for Baldur's gate 2 with all its great atmosphere and variation. And I like the way they rearranged Henry Purcell's music for the Brynnlaw theme and some of the tavern tracks.
    smyth25
    IWD certainly has stunning area themes for Easthaven and also Kuldahar. Jeremy Soule is often referred to as 'the John Williams of video game music' due to his ability to write engrossing music that really captures moments in the video game. The unfortunate weakness of the soundtrack is it's strange lack of battle scores (many of the areas are just silent whilst fighting), which is ironic since IWD has tons of fighting in it when compared to BG and PST. Of course, battle music isn't everything in these video games, which is why the IWD soundtrack, with it's excellent area scores, is one of the most popular.
  • ANOFANOF Member Posts: 70
    edited August 2018
    My favourite soundtrack is Baldur's Gate 2, but Icewind Dale has some great pieces of music as well.

I love the music for the romance's with Aerie, Jaheira and Viconia, but Aerie's is, by far, my favourite. The Throne of Bhaal theme is also excellent; I could easily see it being the theme music for a Baldur's Gate 2 TV series. The music that plays at the end of ToB as you read the postscripts for the members of your party is perfect, absolutely perfect, and its always bugged me that it gets used earlier in the game. The first music piece for the the final battle is also fantastic.

For Icewind Dale, the music for Kuldahar is simply beautiful. The musical pieces for Hrothgar’s and Arundel's homes are both amazing as well.
    smyth25
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364

It's definitely Icewind Dale for me. Mainly for this piece of music:

I reckon he would have won an Oscar if it had been in a movie.

I'm not really a fan of the game because I find it too much of a slog but I sometimes create a party and wander round Easthaven just for the joy of hearing this.

Yes, that piece of music was great, but I liked BG 2 more. I also liked the SoZ expansion of NWN 2
    smyth25