Skip to content

What "house rules" do you play with?

I typically to try to keep to the following house rules.

No stealing from merchants with a good party. Less to do with ethics and more to do with the fact that it really can imbalance a game if you steal early in the game. Also don't like the only option to being caught is having to kill the witnesses. If you could get caught and pay a fine I would me much more willing to use. Evil parties can't get the really big discounts for rep, so I allow a bit of stealing to make up for that.

No stacking of potions. Different types stack but not the same type.

No dual from a Kit. This one is new for me. I am thinking that kits are less a profession and more like an innate personality so they would not be inclined to go into a new class. Plus dualing from a kit can just be soooo overpowered. Looking at you kenmage, kenthief and berskermage.

No spells into the fog of war. You must scout the area first. Makes stealthy characters more valuable.

Love to hear what your house rules are!

Comments

• Kaisc006Kaisc006 Member Posts: 25
    Just like other NPCs, such as Haer’Dalis having an extra shortsword pip or Mazzini with her special abilities, I allow my main PC to have one unique trait. For instance my current playthrough is an Al-Qadim inspired inquisitor who dual wields scimitars. I let him have 1 extra pip in dual wielding.

Another is redistributing NPC weapon prof as I see fit. This allows for some pretty powerful / cool combinations such as Anomen dual wielding hammers & flails and Mazzy dual wielding shorts words.

Of course this tends to increase the party’s strength quite a bit so I keep on insane difficulty with no damage modifier.
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    edited August 2018
    I sometimes edit the stats of companions, following these two rules:

1). Replacing attributes is allowed as long as there exists another companion with the same set of attributes.
    2). Replacing class is allowed as long as it is a legal choice - Multi/dual options only allowed if there is a canon companion with the same combination.

I know it is still cheating, but it makes for more variety, while I get to choose the characters that I like best and/or have the more interesting banters.

Difficulty Core Rules, failing to learn spells is easy to avoid with potions of Genius (with learning 25 I never failed).

I also try hard to avoid reloading, but I never completed a playthrough completely without it so far.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Just to clarify: my no-reload run stopped somewhere in ToB because I hate that part of the saga.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    1. No potions of any type (including healing and antidotes)
    2. Each character is only allowed one set of equipment (you basically have to make do with what you are wearing and you can't carry around spare rings, belts and boots to suit the occasion).
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    Curious what some of you have against potions. They’re a D&D staple (not in volumes you get in BG but conceptually).
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    My main rule is that all the npcs who join my party must still be alive at the end of the game (so no picking an npc as a stop-gap or just for their quests) - I like to think that I'm as loyal to them as they are to me.
    edited August 2018

Curious what some of you have against potions. They’re a D&D staple (not in volumes you get in BG but conceptually).

It's probably is the volume that I find to be a problem. I used to use them but then one day I was buffing for a fight and my party was chugging potions left right and centre and I it felt like everyone was so chemically enhanced that it didn't really matter what their abilities were - it was the potions and the buffs that were going to win the battle.

I like D&D a lot but there is part of me that would prefer a system where magic was much more scarce and characters had to focus on developing their skills rather than acquiring a bunch of equipment.
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    Having a huge pile of healing potions does give an unfair advantage to the player. Very few monsters drink healing potions and none of them have a big pile. With healing potions you can heal yourself essentially without limits during a fight as a player character, so monsters can only win if they disable you or deal a very high amount of damage in a short time.

Playing without them is an idea I have toyed with as well.
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited August 2018
    The potions thing actually seems to be so prevalent it's grown into its own kind of trope. A lot of people just seem to have trouble willfully using consumsbles in games for various reasons.
    10Bazza11 said:

I have broken all off the above rules a number of times.

Rules are there to be broken, especially the ones we impose on ourselves.

I like the 10 rolls max during character generation idea. I tend to roll for ages trying to make the perfect character and it might be fun to see how far you can get with someone with serious flaws. Do you reassign points or do you stick with what the dice gods grant you?

• Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    Nuin said:

The potions thing actually seems to be so prevalent it's grown into its own kind of trope. A lot of people just seem to have trouble willfully using consumsbles in games for various reasons.

That’s interesting. Whatever RPG I play I drink potions like tomorrow is prohibition. In BG2 I buy every bottle that I can find a use for. In games where you can craft potions like DAO or PoE I produce them in the hundreds. Yes, it is mega effective and unrealistic but then so is resting and getting all your spells back. Was not aware that people have gone to the non-utilisation extreme.

Probably better for balance purposes would be to enable only one potion effect at a time, so if you drink another you lose the buff from the first. Healing potions would have to be an exception as they are one-time effects. But then the game would need rebalancing in other ways (it would be another change in favour of spellcasters vs warriors).
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

It's probably is the volume that I find to be a problem. I used to use them but then one day I was buffing for a fight and my party was chugging potions left right and centre and I it felt like everyone was so chemically enhanced that it didn't really matter what their abilities were - it was the potions and the buffs that were going to win the battle.

I like D&D a lot but there is part of me that would prefer a system where magic was much more scarce and characters had to focus on developing their skills rather than acquiring a bunch of equipment.
    5th edition dnd is more suited to this style where you can basically only wear 3 magical items and finding them are rare to begin with and selling them is also extremely difficult at least that is what the 5e dnd lore is, you can have a DM that throws that all away, but that is the basic premise
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Zaghoul said:

Standard baseline:
    - Must use a non-edited roll of 75
    - Can re-roll as many times as desired
    - May not min/max any stats or edit any abilities at all
    - May not resurrect any party members
    - Core rules
    - No reloading
    - Random HP's
    - Random Chances To Learn Spells
    - Weather and Gore On

Additional that I can think of at the moment:
    - Potions of Master Thievery & Perception don't stack
    - all gems & potions must be ID'ed
    - approach first-talk/ fight after, only using fog of war after I'm in range and enemies can see me and/or give chase (if needed-I use invis. potions/spells, alchemical smoke bombs to disappear often).
    - Playing often as one of the humanoid races, I stick close to stats and guidelines in the 2nd ed. Complete Book of Humanoids.

Interestingly enough, restartitis gives me reason to start over more than anything else. B)

weather definitly off for me, back in the days when i used to kill drizzt lightning would kill him EVERY SINGLE time instead hahahaha, good times

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Auto-roller 4 lyfe
    I've already changed one of my unbreakable rules. I don't use any potions but I have decided to allow antidotes because watching yet another character succumbing to poisoning is just too miserable for words.
  • MeraMera Member Posts: 133
    A few I can think of:
    - No roll at character creation: I decide on a "roleplay" distribution beforehand (usually total 86, sometimes 88) and go with it (ctrl-8 then lower).
    - No death, ever. As soon as someone die, I reload.
    - Max HP at level up.
    - 100% spell learn.
    - I've always used the "don't wear unidentified items" unconsciously.
    - Used to have the "no potions" one but my current SCS playthrough proved too hard. Irenicus Dungeon with a single rest with no healing potions was not doable...
    - Made an exception to the "no stealing" yesterday for the first time in years in the drow city (seemed like it would make sense for a Chaotic Neutral PC to take advantage of those guys).
    - Core rules with SCS (and very limited modding other than that) even though more and more components have been activated other the years.

And probably some more that I've used for so long they're obvious to me.
  • ArachnusArachnus Member Posts: 20
    Not using unsellable items (I don't like to be forced to use them) including ring of Gaxx.
    Banned powerful combinations of equipment.
    A hero should not look like a christmas tree, and fighting is satisfactory if won with help of luck to some extend.
    Not using cloak of mirroring except solo run, and not abusing use it.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320

I've already changed one of my unbreakable rules. I don't use any potions but I have decided to allow antidotes because watching yet another character succumbing to poisoning is just too miserable for words.

@Permidion_Stark even if you can't rest and are too far from the edge of the map to run away, there's always the fallback option of a green scroll ...
    Grond0 said:

@Permidion_Stark even if you can't rest and are too far from the edge of the map to run away, there's always the fallback option of a green scroll ...
    I hadn't thought of that and maybe it is a better option. Will a Scroll of Protection Against Poison actually stop the effects if you have already been poisoned?

On my latest run I haven't used any antidotes so far but I am carrying them. I was hoping my Bhaalspawn power of Slow Poison might see me through but it didn't have much effect when I got stung by a baby wyvern last time out.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320

Grond0 said:

I hadn't thought of that and maybe it is a better option. Will a Scroll of Protection Against Poison actually stop the effects if you have already been poisoned?

On my latest run I haven't used any antidotes so far but I am carrying them. I was hoping my Bhaalspawn power of Slow Poison might see me through but it didn't have much effect when I got stung by a baby wyvern last time out.
    PfP will cure existing poison as well as stop new poison. Slow poison is just a bit too slow to cast - for dangerous poisons I find it's pretty rare for slow poison to work. It's also odd that poison damage during casting of slow poison seems to automatically make the spell fail - for divine spells you would expect there to be a chance of success.

I normally manage reputation so that I get horror instead. That doesn't add much in a party, but is really useful for a solo character (though that's less true now as the fear effect is not working well in v2.5).