Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    @Grond0 So far so good. You certainly know the avenger better than I do, which is not at all. :D

Firehelm had the tome which was to get him into Candlekeep stolen from him. He followed the thief as far as the FAI, but the thief teleported away.

Firehelm looked in the bailey for him but couldn't find him. However he did find the container selling merchant. He bought a couple of containers and enough potions to fill the potion case. He now only has 109 gp left!! Yes he was rather extravagant, but easy come, easy go.
    EnuhalBlackravenStummvonBordwehrCrevsDaak
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996
    uh, @Wise_Grimwald if you can't get into Candlekeep isn't that big problem? How you are supposed to get in otherwise and get the main quest going?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

Apparently I should be ambushed again in Beregost. I haven't found the ambush yet though I did trigger the Neera encounter. I helped her but didn't let her join. I'll do that when I've got the book back.

(IF I get the book back)

Does anyone know where you find Zernan in Beregost doing the Vault Quest?

I can't find him anywhere, :(

Searching, I came up with a post here saying:
    3)Return to Nashkel - You finish the Iron Throne building in Baldur's Gate, and talk to Duke Eltan at FF HQ. He gives you the book to go to Candlekeep, and you get transported to the BG Bridge map. Zernan the "scholar of Amn" walks up to you and tries to make a deal for the book. Say no and he will steal it (answer #3 and then answer #2) and ambushes you with his buddies then flees. The chase begins. Goto FAI map, wander over to left middle side of the map. Zernan comes up and talks and ambush number two follows, he flees. Goto Nashkel, he shows up third time with cronies, amush three. Pick up the "undeciphered note", which gives you the clue. Goto Nashkel Fair, on the right side next to the hill (4910x/1845y) there is a mysterious man who comes up and talks. (After several different tries it seems he always goes hostile no matter what answer you give him) Kill him and your journal (not your quest log) should be updated. Goto the Nashkel Mines, a fight ensues outside. Go inside and kill everything - lots of spiders and drow thieves, fighters, and a few mages. Lots of traps that cast poisonous cloud and web. I'm in the middle of it now...

Does that help?
    BlackravenStummvonBordwehrCrevsDaak
    Grond0 said:

Apparently I should be ambushed again in Beregost. I haven't found the ambush yet though I did trigger the Neera encounter. I helped her but didn't let her join. I'll do that when I've got the book back.

(IF I get the book back)

Searching, I came up with a post here saying:
    3)Return to Nashkel - You finish the Iron Throne building in Baldur's Gate, and talk to Duke Eltan at FF HQ. He gives you the book to go to Candlekeep, and you get transported to the BG Bridge map. Zernan the "scholar of Amn" walks up to you and tries to make a deal for the book. Say no and he will steal it (answer #3 and then answer #2) and ambushes you with his buddies then flees. The chase begins. Goto FAI map, wander over to left middle side of the map. Zernan comes up and talks and ambush number two follows, he flees. Goto Nashkel, he shows up third time with cronies, amush three. Pick up the "undeciphered note", which gives you the clue. Goto Nashkel Fair, on the right side next to the hill (4910x/1845y) there is a mysterious man who comes up and talks. (After several different tries it seems he always goes hostile no matter what answer you give him) Kill him and your journal (not your quest log) should be updated. Goto the Nashkel Mines, a fight ensues outside. Go inside and kill everything - lots of spiders and drow thieves, fighters, and a few mages. Lots of traps that cast poisonous cloud and web. I'm in the middle of it now...

Does that help?
    That helps a lot. I just didn't go far enough south. I would probably have got there eventually but the clues were rather vague to say the least. Another ambush on the Beregost Nashkel road would have been helpful to let players know they were on the right track.
  • FlamedanceFlamedance Member Posts: 12

uh, @Wise_Grimwald if you can't get into Candlekeep isn't that big problem? How you are supposed to get in otherwise and get the main quest going?

It certainly is a big problem, which is why I have been following the thief.

The problem is that I am not sure where he has gone. He headed south from the gate and I caught up with him at the FAI. From there he disappeared again. I guessed that he might have headed towards Candlekeep but didn't find him on that road. I then headed for Beregost and Nashkell.

Another area has appeared on the map called the Northern Citadel. I don't know whether it is somethibg to do with this tome that I need, or if it's to do with the fields of the dead, or perhaps something else entirely.

This mod set-up has certainly got me floundering a bit. (Which I like, just so long as it isn't game breaking)

EDIT

(IF I get the book back)

As far as i remember you do not meet Zernan in Beregost. The order is: FAI->Nashkel (where you kill him)->Carnival (Mysterious Man, near the hill just north of where you find Branwen)->Mines. Zernan may actually not spawn in Nashkel (happened to me once or twice). In which case i'd just CLUA the book in, if i were you. It's a bug and not due to a mistake you made.

Regarding Northern Tales of the Sword Coast: you can easily screw up this mod by doing things in the wrong order.

First go kill the demon in Ulgoth's Beard, if you haven't done so allready. Otherwise Reedrig will not appear in Ulgoth's Beard. Whatever you do, do not kill him when you meet him in the cave of the Fields of the Dead. If you do, you won't be able to finish the mod.

Then do the citadel quest, this will point you to the next area. You should also talk to Nadalin at the Docks in Baldur's Gate. This will open up another area for you.

After that, it gets even more confusing;-) I have a pretty detailed walkthrough of the mod, if you don't mind the spoilers.
    StummvonBordwehr
    @Wise_Grimwald You'll need to do Durlag's anyway, if you want to do Northern Tales of the Sword Coast. The final battles of NTotSC are challenging, to put it mildly. It's a very unforgiving mod, simply doing things in the wrong order can get you instakilled. Be warned. I really recommend reading a walkthrough.
    Grond0StummvonBordwehrWise_Grimwaldlolien

@Wise_Grimwald You'll need to do Durlag's anyway, if you want to do Northern Tales of the Sword Coast. The final battles of NTotSC are challenging, to put it mildly. It's a very unforgiving mod, simply doing things in the wrong order can get you instakilled. Be warned. I really recommend reading a walkthrough.

Thanks for your advice. Firehelm has now finished the Stone of Askavar Quest. Do you recommend Durlag or going down into Nashkel Mines again first?
    Gate70
    edited August 2018
    @StummvonBordwehr Very sad. At least you died fighting a dragon. Nothing to be ashamed of. I remember once being killed by a kobold! That WAS embarassing! :blush:

Thanks for the advice. :)

IF I survive Dulag's I will then have the option of the "Return to Nashkel Mines" or "The Drizzt Saga."

Anything give you the idea that I like making things difficult? :lol:

Probably a good thing that the experience cap is higher than the norm of 161,000. I haven't even got to that figure yet though.
    StummvonBordwehrGrond0CrevsDaak

Thanks for your advice. Firehelm has now finished the Stone of Askavar Quest. Do you recommend Durlag or going down into Nashkel Mines again first?
    I'd go for Durlag's Tower, then Drizzt Saga, probably skipping the lich, if i was doing a no reload. You can easily cheese the last boss of Drizzt Saga. After finishing Durlag's and Drizzt Saga you're basically a demigod. You'll still want to be a bit careful in NTotSC though. There's a very, very nasty trap which will instakill your party if you don't have the right key.
    StummvonBordwehrWise_GrimwaldCrevsDaak
    edited August 2018
    Firehelm's party has defeated the four areas that should send him to the chess board. However it isn't happening. Any ideas? The correct number of invisible stalkers was killed and just to make sure I saved the game in the area where they occur.

To be doubly certain, I cast dispell invisibility.

Is there some variable that I can change in EE Keeper to make the teleportation work correctly?

I have returned again and again to those areas to ensure that the hostile creatures are all dead.

I don't want to use "MoveToArea" as the characters wouldn't end up in the correct places.

I didn't talk to Ike before going to Durlag's. Would that make a difference?
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996
    edited August 2018
    Apparently @Wise_Grimwald many people have had trouble being teleported to the chessboard in EE as evidenced by this thread. The thread claims loading from the auto-save worked for one person, don't know if that will work for you.
    lolien
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

I didn't talk to Ike before going to Durlag's. Would that make a difference?

Not at all. My BGT install has the trigger on the master area that leads to the elemental realms, but in the EE, the script that does that is in the Cold room for some odd reason. I am not sure how the EE works, but if
    	Dead("AIRASPEC")
    	Dead("KALDRAN")
    	Dead("PHOENIX")
    	Dead("JELLSPA")
    these conditions are met, you will be teleported.
    The conditions are that all of the following creatures are dead: Air Aspect, Phoenix Soldier, Kaldran the Bear and Fission Slime.

Is there some variable that I can change in EE Keeper to make the teleportation work correctly?

SPRITE_IS_DEADAIRASPEC, SPRITE_IS_DEADKALDRAN, SPRITE_IS_DEADPHOENIX and SPRITE_IS_DEADJELLSPA should all be at least 1. If they all exist and are nonzero, you could try setting them back to 1 and going back to the Cold room, since at least in v2.3 that's where the check is made, unless this works in some other way I am not aware of.
    StummvonBordwehr