Skip to content

Newbie Question to Import/Export Characters in IWDEE

ConfusedWizardConfusedWizard Member Posts: 14
Hello,
and greetings to the community!

I have played BG, BG2, IWD and IWD2 as they were new games, and loved them. So - I am a newbie to the EE versions, which I just discovered. I still have IWD2 (the original), and BG2 (including all parts, the original) installed here on my Windows 7 PC. Both games run fine, IWD (the original) runs also fine, but I decided to try the enhanced version (purchased on GOG).

I am still playing IWDEE (at this time in HOW), but I think the Enhanced Version is ... well enhanced :) Very nice, will probably try out the other enhanced versions too, since I think BG (which I have too in original) does not run so well.

But I have a question: You can play around with your characters, export and import them, this was (I think) done first with Baldurs Gate?

The problem here: If I want to start a new game (IWD, not HOW) I can import characters, which I first created or which I exported from another IWDEE game. This gives nice possibilities.

But when I look to my list of characters (in the home folder under characters) inside the game I see only the name of the character, and his class. Missing is the Kit (Ranger/Archer for example is called only 'Ranger'). Also missing is the level of the character.

If I create a character 'Diddly Downhand' and play with him, later export him, and the try to import, I will see 'Diddly Downhand' two time, with the same picture, the same class, and so on. Which one to import? There is no hint which character is the correct character (i.e. the character with the level I want to import).
Is there some trick?

I can organize the folder characters myself, to ensure that every character with a specific name (which signifies a certain character) is present only once, in the correct class and level. I have to move exported characters, and change the selection of characters in this game folder (in my home directory, not the installation folder!), so that I always see a name only once (during import inside the game). Also I can use NearInfinity the look at the characters.

But during import important information is missing. Level and class kit should be shown during import of a character to a new (or running) game. Is there some trick to see this?

Thank you!
ConfusedWizard

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    StummvonBordwehrConfusedWizardGusinda
  • ConfusedWizardConfusedWizard Member Posts: 14
    Thank you for this fast answer!
    This is a solution and makes fiddling with the files in the games character folder unnecessary.

As I said above - I am happy with this enhanced edition, it is actually not only better suitable for modern PCs, it also is really better in many aspects.

I remember playing IWD (original) and what always bothered me was, that the party in after two thirds of the game was quite powerful, but had no fitting equipment. Especially mage spells were missing. This has been rectified, beside a lot of other things.
    [Deleted User]
    Shandyr said:

Greetings, @ConfusedWizard

whenever you export a character, you provide an export filename.

How to distinguish the same character at different levels? Put the level in the export filename yourself.
    Note, the export filename does not have to be the same as the name of the character.

You can also put the name of the kit into the export filename.

You can export 'Diddly Downhand' at level 10 for example with the following export filename:
    "DiddlyLvl10Kitname" where Kitname is the name of the kit of that character.

Uhm...
    Are you sure that works? I tried to name exported character files with an 'E' at the beginning, but soon found out, that al filenames (which you are asked to enter during export) are limited to 8 characters maximum! So 'DiddlyDownhand10' is not possible to use. It will have only 'DiddlyDo', you cannot enter more characters. I did not try if the game finds a character file with a name longer than this limit, so I could rename them outside of the game. Will try some time, but Shandyrs solution will work nicely, I think.
    Gusinda[Deleted User]
    Shandyr said:

Greetings, @ConfusedWizard

whenever you export a character, you provide an export filename.

How to distinguish the same character at different levels? Put the level in the export filename yourself.
    Note, the export filename does not have to be the same as the name of the character.

You can also put the name of the kit into the export filename.

You can export 'Diddly Downhand' at level 10 for example with the following export filename:
    "DiddlyLvl10Kitname" where Kitname is the name of the kit of that character.

Uhm...
    Are you sure that works? I tried to name exported character files with an 'E' at the beginning, but soon found out, that al filenames (which you are asked to enter during export) are limited to 8 characters maximum! So 'DiddlyDownhand10' is not possible to use. It will have only 'DiddlyDo', you cannot enter more characters. I did not try if the game finds a character file with a name longer than this limit, so I could rename them outside of the game. Will try some time, but Shandyrs solution will work nicely, I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Gusinda